• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

High altitude high temp coolant choice?

Tamnakz

So, I boiled over. Probably my fault, was running 40/60 coolant/water with a loose cap, driving up a crazy one lane switchback around 8000 feet.

I think I boiled because my dumb*** was running a loose cap, and pressure on the system to increase boiling point is a must, something I have never had an issue with until getting to altitude where boiling points drop.

Previous to overheating, the only issues I've had have been two minor 'burps' on the cooling system. Both when I was pushing the motor and turned the car off before I gave her a moment to cool. They didn't concern me, I blame myself.

I'm at probably 5% coolant at this point. I'm planning on draining a bit and filling to a 25/75 mix with a bottle of water wetter.

Has anyone had particular luck with a similar or any other combination of coolant products?

Toyota Red 45/55 mix with Water Wetter or Royal Purple Purple Ice.

Are you at 8000 feet all the time?

Rarely. I'm visiting the mountains though and will be pushing my car harder climbing to some spots than it'll probably ever work again under my ownership. I'm starting at 6k and ending at 10-11k, but I've also got to climb it more than once.

15-20mph up significant grade for an hour.

Tighten the cap is the real fix.

+ juan. Unless the cap's spring loaded pressure relief valve is busted. In which case get a new cap.

I probably wouldn't worry too much about the water until you get home. You're not really going to freeze the engine, even at altitude, during the summer.

Here in the desert we run 100% coolant (no water) year around. Its 114 outside now and things only get warmer once the engine's running. Works fine for us!

Have to agree with other comments and would never run without the cap tight on the system. That way the coolant boils at 212 if not lower....

Here in the desert we run 100% coolant (no water) year around. Its 114 outside now and things only get warmer once the engine's running. Works fine for us!

Have to agree with other comments and would never run without the cap tight on the system. That way the coolant boils at 212 if not lower....

Pure antifreeze is worse at conducting heat than water or a mixture.

cp.gif

Sure, 100% might work fine for you, but you're losing almost 1/3 of your coolant's functionality. Plus if you're getting hot enough to boil a "normal" coolant mixture, you are probably toasting some other engine component in the process.

I'd rather just get a tropical clutch or low temp thermostat.

Pure antifreeze is worse at conducting heat than water or a mixture.

Sure, 100% might work fine for you, but you're losing almost 1/3 of your coolant's functionality. Plus if you're getting hot enough to boil a "normal" coolant mixture, you are probably toasting some other engine component in the process.

I'd rather just get a tropical clutch or low temp thermostat.

Just telling you what the old timers and almost everyone here in the desert have been doing forever... and continue to do today.

Personally I would rather put the cap on properly and drive home...

A small amount of glycol coolant will significantly increase the boiling temperature of water. Keeping the water from boiling is also done by keeping the cooling system pressurized.

This may work for you but you are thinking about it ass-backwards, you want high glycol content to keep the fluid from freezing, which is not a problem.

You want as much specific heat as possible. Running 80% water in the desert at high ambient temperature. It will keep the engine moar cool.

Funny how everyone posting about this does NOT live in hot climates...

Come on down to the desert, live here for 20-30 years then tell me what works.

Joe A

Joe A

A better explanation, one that doesn't violate the laws of thermodynamics, physics and chemistry, would be that the desert heat has cooked your brains. :p
Perhaps you think premade 50/50 is "100%" coolant?

Last edited:

Joe A

As someone who daily drives the same engine as your GT in 90 degree weather, while producing 3 times more power I would say I know damn well what I write about in here.

A better explanation, one that doesn't violate the laws of thermodynamics, physics and chemistry, would be that the desert heat has cooked your brains.

Pretty much.

Great, folks from NY and Oregon once again telling people who live in real heat in the desert what to do.

Sorry guys but I did several tours in Saudi Arabia and with their 128 degree heat there we did the exact same thing, but then guess we were wrong and should learn from you guys up North instead!

You guys continue the circle jerk without me, will keep doing what has worked on this end for decades. If you do move down here please let us know because once you live in the heat we might listen to you then!

Great, folks from NY and Oregon once again telling people who live in real heat in the desert what to do.

Sorry guys but I did several tours in Saudi Arabia and with their 128 degree heat there we did the exact same thing, but then guess we were wrong and should learn from you guys up North instead!

You guys continue the circle jerk without me, will keep doing what has worked on this end for decades. If you do move down here please let us know because once you live in the heat we might listen to you then!

I think this attitude is what makes me hate religions.

I hope no one got killed because you crippled their cooling system in Saudi Aruba.

Last edited:
For 6 years I lived in a god forsaken hell hole that saw days in excess of 122F and regularly had weeks of over 113F and we all drove around quite happily on the factory coolant fill. A well maintained cooling system (like one that actually holds pressure) will comfortably and more efficiently run on 100% water.

Now I live in a more reasonable place (that still sees weeks well in excess of 104F) we use just enough glycol to reach the required levels of corrosion inhibitor and still never have overheating issues.

You can run as much glycol as you like, but the more you run the more you are *knobbling* your cooling systems ability to move heat. It's not theory, it's fact. "Ya cannae change the laws of physics Jim".

As an aside, riding a Ducati 996 in 50C weather is a pretty unpleasant thing to do what with the exhaust co-located with your right leg, and the radiator outlets cooking both knees, but even that bike (which is known to have marginal cooling at the best of times) survives with a well maintained cooling system without drowning it in glycol.

Hey you are welcome to do whatever you like, but don't go around recommending it as a universal cure because despite what you may think, the manufacturers engineers (you know, the ones that study the thermodynamic properties of all the interconnected systems that make up a vehicle) actually do know better than you.

Back