• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v Headstuds p#

the ford guys use the 2300 ford studs on the volvo head with 3 spacers..

this allows for use of the undercut stud set they offer and at 120 or so retail they are a good buy...

any hoo might be cheaper than actual cossie bolts. the cummins set may not have enough elasticity for an anluminum head setup talk to arp about tetails but as i remember the undercut studs are the hot ticket for alu with all the expansion and contraction..

Sorry to bump a really old thread - but this information better be kept in one thread (this is the only thread that I found about 16v ARP head studs).

Did anyone actually use the cosworth ARP head studs mentioned here ARP-251-4701 with a 16v head on a b230 block?

If so, please confirm that this is actually works.

Or maybe someone used the Cummins ARP head studs with a 16v head? If so, please share exact PN# for studs/nuts/washers or a complete kit if there's any.

There are several Cummins PNs floating around - but I could not find a single concrete confirmation what works.

Hope that someone can help.

Thanks!!

Spoke to Josh from Yoshifab.

He said that the ARP head studs set on he's website is on months of backorder from ARP

Got some confirmation about the cosworth ARP head studs -

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Sep 1, 2021, 4:40 AM

7 of the 10 studs are the studs used in the cosworth application. The 3 short studs are the ones that ARP is not shipping. The cummins studs are for the 8 valve.

-Josh Sadler
Yoshifab.com
(760)468-7002

-------- Original Message --------

Date: Tue, August 31, 2021 6:22 pm
To: josh@yoshifab.com

I've come across several posts on TB that state that Ford cosworth ARP head studs kit PN#ARP-251-4701 will work for a b234 head on a b230fk block. Or some Cummins diesel ARP head studs kit. Any chance that you have more information or insights about this?

Head: ARP-251-4701

u need 3 steel spacers since volvo uses 3 short bolts in the 16v heads i got 3 spacers off ebay
(some turboford fella makes those)

I'm trying to find these spacers - but no luck so far.
Any chance you can help?

Anyone with a lathe and some aluminum can make the spacers if you want to go that route.

Engine machine shop, precision machine shop, STS maybe?

Last edited:
Anyone with a lathe and some aluminum can make the spacers of you want to go that route.

Engine machine shop, precision machine shop, STS maybe?

I'll go that route if no other options. The car is a runner and I wanted to avoid having it sit with the head off while I'm figuring out the spacer dimensions and looking for a shop to have them machined.

Maybe someone here has the dimensions for the spacers. That will save me some time and trouble.

I'll go that route if no other options. The car is a runner and I wanted to avoid having it sit with the head off while I'm figuring out the spacer dimensions and looking for a shop to have them machined.

Maybe someone here has the dimensions for the spacers. That will save me some time and trouble.

Maybe you can measure the difference in length between the long and short oem head bolts? That would be a start for figuring out the spacer's height?

I may have come across an extra set. Will let you know later tonight in case you are interested in purchasing them.

I already checked with him. He doesn't have them and thought that Yoshifab had these for sale.

Yoshifab does not list them on the website.

I sent him an email asking about it and he answered that he does not sell them because he never used/tested them and can't vouch for how well they work.

When I asked if he'd be willing to ship me a set without guarantees - he said that he first need to check where can he find a set or maybe make one.

That was 3 days ago.

So at this point - I'm still fishing for spacers.

Yoshifab does not list them on the website.

I sent him an email asking about it and he answered that he does not sell them because he never used/tested them and can't vouch for how well they work.

When I asked if he'd be willing to ship me a set without guarantees - he said that he first need to check where can he find a set or maybe make one.

That was 3 days ago.

So at this point - I'm still fishing for spacers.

Problems can arise if the aluminum used is too soft and no or not enough stud lube is used. The head bolt will eat away the spacers surface and you will get insufficient torque on the bolt eventually leading to a leaking head gasket.

Problems can arise if the aluminum used is too soft and no or not enough stud lube is used. The head bolt will eat away the spacers surface and you will get insufficient torque on the bolt eventually leading to a leaking head gasket.

This is what I was thinking, seems like you would be better off with a stack of head bolt washers.

3 pages discussing what.

0 posts discussing why.

So, why use head studs on a 16V?

Back