home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #26
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

The M62 used in the Mercedes W202 R170 SLK helped its M111.973 engine deliver 190HP @ 5300 RPM and 207ft-lb 2500-4800RPM. Note that is a 16v engine with adjustable intake cam timing. Compare that with a stock *8v* B230FT (162HP 4800RPM and 194ft-Ib 3450RPM).

So, if I were to do it, it would not be for the horsepower gains; you probably can reach close to that in a stock LH2.4 by fiddling with the boost and/or swapping a 15g for much less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentshedtrev View Post
It was fun, but underwhelming...
Can you elaborate on the underwhelming part? I mean, this is the kind of project you do for the fun of it, and have the skills and resources to complete the task (always remember of the old/real Top Gear motto: Ambitious but Rubbish).
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!

Last edited by dalek; 02-05-2021 at 07:05 AM..
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #27
cosbySweater
Board Member

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=88662&page=12
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #28
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Engine swap or turbo just seems more productive.

...unless having race boi whooshy whiney sounds is a necessity for life.

Speed parts for sale: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=359797

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #29
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatbestcat View Post
Engine swap or turbo just seems more productive.

...unless having race boi whooshy whiney sounds is a necessity for life.
Unless you want to super and turbo charge it
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #30
KoduKoer
Board Member

I am somewhat slowly supercharging my daily-gone-wrong at the moment. Since Im quite an ape, I am not sure what my expectations are from this.

Car itself is a 940 that had a B200 in it, now has a B230F from a 700 series. It has an H cam w adjustable gear, wasted spark Bosch ignition coil, KL 4-2-1 header and a stupid loud 2.5 inch exhaust. Run by a standalone ECU.

Supercharcer is an Eaton M62 off SLK R170 2.3 kompressor.

Crank pulley is going to be milled off the MB pulley assembly and then welded on the redblock crank pulley.

Supercharger pulley will be stock, but probably milled to be a bit smaller.

I am very interested in porting the sc to possibly reduce heat and maybe optimise performance, but not sure if it would benefit performance enough to make sense with this pulley setup.

Stock magnetic clutch will be put to good use, most likely triggered by throttle position to avoid annoying constant sc whine while highway cruising.

Location of the kompressor will be right under the alternator. A plate was made to raise the alternator for more room.

Plumbing is something that worries me a bit since I dont want it to get too difficult. I plan leaving the throttle body as is, running the supercharger and intercooler before the TB. I really hope that I dont need any pressure release valve and throttle position based disengaging of the SC clutch will be enough to avoid pressure buildup when throttle is closed.
KoduKoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #31
KoduKoer
Board Member

My dear car is supercharged and back on the road. We used a supra mk3 cooler that had it's pipes both on one side. Plumbing was rather easy, no complicated bends, luckily I had the stock MB pipes and they were a huge bonus as you can see from the pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/of3jWUqHEYnipM328

The way it works is that the ECU engages the supercharger when TPS reads 45%. If the supercharger is engaged, the noise when BOV is open is super loud and annoying, but since the ECU disengages the magnetic clutch if throttle under 45%, it only does a small "psst" if I come off throttle aggressively. Sounds interesting.

Since the pulleys are stock, it boosts a little under 9 psi overall, at 1500-2000rpm it's about 6 psi instantly and at 6000 rpm it still boosts roughly 8 psi.

We used gray 313cc(?) injectors left over from my T4 swap.

There are some faults to work out. First there was an issue with SC belt, we installed the auto tensioner on the bottom because there was no room on top. When SC built up some pressure, it pushed the tensioner down and it started slipping even while idling. Another issue occurred with the alternator V belt. Since it is now longer, it doesn't like high RPMs or the rev limiter at least, flipped and shredded one belt already, no idea what to do about it so I just try to stay off the limiter for now.

Car is fun, sounds cool and I really like it. As some mentioned here before, +T is a better way for overall performance and future upgrading and might be easier to install, but I just wanted to try something different.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #32
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Hey, props!

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #33
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoduKoer View Post
My dear car is supercharged and back on the road. We used a supra mk3 cooler that had it's pipes both on one side. Plumbing was rather easy, no complicated bends, luckily I had the stock MB pipes and they were a huge bonus as you can see from the pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/of3jWUqHEYnipM328

The way it works is that the ECU engages the supercharger when TPS reads 45%. If the supercharger is engaged, the noise when BOV is open is super loud and annoying, but since the ECU disengages the magnetic clutch if throttle under 45%, it only does a small "psst" if I come off throttle aggressively. Sounds interesting.

Since the pulleys are stock, it boosts a little under 9 psi overall, at 1500-2000rpm it's about 6 psi instantly and at 6000 rpm it still boosts roughly 8 psi.

We used gray 313cc(?) injectors left over from my T4 swap.

There are some faults to work out. First there was an issue with SC belt, we installed the auto tensioner on the bottom because there was no room on top. When SC built up some pressure, it pushed the tensioner down and it started slipping even while idling. Another issue occurred with the alternator V belt. Since it is now longer, it doesn't like high RPMs or the rev limiter at least, flipped and shredded one belt already, no idea what to do about it so I just try to stay off the limiter for now.

Car is fun, sounds cool and I really like it. As some mentioned here before, +T is a better way for overall performance and future upgrading and might be easier to install, but I just wanted to try something different.
Awesome for making it work, how's the butt dyno feel?
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #34
makebrickgovroom
Board Member

This is absolutely spectacular, probably one of the most intuitive solutions I've seen too. Its one of those things where you look at it and go "wow, why didn't I think of that?". Great work!
Old 04-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #35
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

KoduKoer,

Stock SLK R170 2.3 kompressor pulley diameter: 93.5 mm. Crank pulley 185mm. There is a guy on benzworld who machined his SC pulley down to 88mm.

Porting thread on this supercharger is at https://www.benzworld.org/threads/an...thread.1631863. All it really does for a given PR
M is to decrease energy required to rotate the rotors, which leads to less he
at, which is great. Performance gains are due to less heat rise.

AFAIK, in the SLK the supercharger clutch enganges at 800RPM.

BTW, great job on your install! Did you balance the pulley assembly?

Last edited by dalek; 04-04-2021 at 08:23 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #36
KoduKoer
Board Member

Thank you all for your kind words, I am glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Awesome for making it work, how's the butt dyno feel?
My butt dyno is not the best, I can't really tell. It doesn't feel too powerful, but power band feels really good. I will visit the dyno soon and will have answers then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
KoduKoer,

Stock SLK R170 2.3 kompressor pulley diameter: 93.5 mm. Crank pulley 185mm. There is a guy on benzworld who machined his SC pulley down to 88mm.

Porting thread on this supercharger is at https://www.benzworld.org/threads/an...thread.1631863. All it really does for a given PR
M is to decrease energy required to rotate the rotors, which leads to less he
at, which is great. Performance gains are due to less heat rise.

AFAIK, in the SLK the supercharger clutch enganges at 800RPM.

BTW, great job on your install! Did you balance the pulley assembly?
Thank you for taking some time to forward me this information. Future plans include milling the pulley and porting. Of course I would like as much power out of the SC as possible, but it is important for me to have a working SC clutch since it is my daily driver. Also have to keep in mind the 9mm rods on this motor.

Pulley assembly was not balanced. It was carefully centered on a spinning table that's all. Whole thing was mostly built with an angle grinder, drill and welder.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:59 AM   #37
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

Build yourself your own balancer by copying how RC people balance their propellers:

If off balance, pulley will rotate. Shave/grind/drill a bit on the heavy side and then repeat until no more rolling.

About your rods, that is between your right foot and the go fast pedal.