home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
240-FAN
Board Member

Default Exhaust manifold gasket

Can the gurus here please confirm that the orientation of the exhaust manifold gasket is correct as shown in the picture?
The front face would meet the exhaust manifold and the face not shown in the picture would mate to the engine?
Similarly, the top is the top of the engine and the bottom would, well point to the bottom.

This might be a noob question but any clarification would be helpful so that Iím not messing too much with the old exhaust studs.

Thanks a bunch!

240-FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
PCH
Board Member

they only fit one way? Smooth side out
Guru status achieved.

Last edited by PCH; 04-01-2021 at 09:23 PM..
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

There is supposed to be a UT marked on the gasket. Meaning 'out'. They match up to the head port shape only one way. The outer part of the port shape not the hole in the head.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #4
240-FAN
Board Member

Lol PCH. The Victor Reinz one (on the right) has a black gasket on the back which I assumed would end up against the head.
The “AJI USA” one doesn’t have a smooth face and both sides feel very similar to each other.

Dave, no such marking on either the Reinz or the AJI USA parts. RA only had 1 Reinz and I ended up with 3 of the AJI ones.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #5
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240-FAN View Post
Lol PCH. The Victor Reinz one (on the right) has a black gasket on the back which I assumed would end up against the head.
The ďAJI USAĒ one doesnít have a smooth face and both sides feel very similar to each other.

Dave, no such marking on either the Reinz or the AJI USA parts. RA only had 1 Reinz and I ended up with 3 of the AJI ones.
I don't recall the brand I used, but when I did mine, like dl242gt said, they match up one way. You might be able to see a mark where the old gasket sat, I think once you put one one it should become obvious.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Well, here's a closeup of someone's head.
Seems to show the "flat" on top, and the rounded part on the bottom.

1990 740GL, now in extra-small economy size.
512,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
240-FAN
Board Member

Awesome, thank a lot!
Old 04-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Well, here's a closeup of someone's head.
Seems to show the "flat" on top, and the rounded part on the bottom.

Mind blown, after taking the exhaust manifold off a dozen times I have never noticed that.
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb92673 View Post
Mind blown, after taking the exhaust manifold off a dozen times I have never noticed that.
There's that, and the fact that the gaskets (and studs) are not symmetrical. As dl242gt said, put them on any of the 3 wrong ways, the big hole won't be centered over the port.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #10
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
There's that, and the fact that the gaskets (and studs) are not symmetrical. As dl242gt said, put them on any of the 3 wrong ways, the big hole won't be centered over the port.
That's how I usually figure it out. Usually takes 3 tries.
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #11
lummert
Board Member

If you install it backwards the gasket won't match the port.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #12
240-FAN
Board Member

So with all the help from here, I was able to get it on there no problem. Start the car, no leaks from the gaskets, yay!

But....after a couple of minutes, there was smoke billowing out from the manifold. Itís either the manifold thatís cracked or itís the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe. Is there a way to post a video on here? Any way to figure out where the leak is coming from?

I need to get this car out and sold by end of the month. Anyone interested in a mid-west 240??? Donít want to sell it to some retard on CL whoíll beat the car to death. Yes, itís got some rust but itís far far better than most rust belt cars.

Edit: hereís links to the videos
Engine on
https://i.imgur.com/vncQBmO.mp4

After engine was shut off
https://i.imgur.com/XZAjq4L.mp4

Last edited by 240-FAN; 04-06-2021 at 10:10 PM..
Old 04-06-2021, 11:59 PM   #13
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240-FAN View Post
But....after a couple of minutes, there was smoke billowing out from the manifold. Itís either the manifold thatís cracked or itís the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe.
If it was at the shop, I'd grab my trusty stethoscope and wave it around various joints and listen for the leaks (if any). Or just stick a long piece of vacuum hose in your ear and do the same. You sure it isn't just the grease from your grubby hands burning off once the manifold gets sufficiently hot?
Old 04-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #14
240-FAN
Board Member

Quote:
If it was at the shop, I'd grab my trusty stethoscope and wave it around various joints and listen for the leaks (if any). Or just stick a long piece of vacuum hose in your ear and do the same. You sure it isn't just the grease from your grubby hands burning off once the manifold gets sufficiently hot?
Iím not sure if itís just grease burning off. I could Jack the car up higher and crawl underneath to take a look. Good idea on the stethoscope - Iíll give it a shot and post back if I find anything.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #15
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Exhaust leaks don't look like smoke unless your engine is busted up enough to be producing lots of smoke. My vote's for gunk burning off the exhaust.
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #16
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

I can feel the exhaust leak on my 245 at idle, little bursts of exhaust coming from the manifold- head interface on #1
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
240-FAN
Board Member

I really hope you gents are right about it just being gunk burning off... gonna try it out later today
Old 04-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #18
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I would suggest you get an extra set of those gaskets with the metal composite type of material. The other gaskets with the spots can burn up and fail and are not up to the quality standards for these engines in my experience. Hopefully it's as others advise and it's just the burn off of grease and oil on the engine.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #19
240-FAN
Board Member

Took her out for about 20 miles after being parked inside for the last 5 months. Old gal ran great. Turns out it was just gunk burning off. After the first 3-4 miles, no smoke, nothing. She’s all fixed up.

Thanks everyone!