• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some driveshaft info, b21ft into '51 Willys

socalsean

back in the game
I'm doing a b21ft swap into my dads 1951 Willys Overlander for the 24 Hours Lemons Rally next week. I need some driveshaft info. All questions pertain to the m46/m47 transmission.

Is the front half of a 240 drive shaft the same length as the front half of a 740/940 drive shaft?

Can the center support bushing carrier from a 740/940 be used on a 240 driveshaft?

There seems to be two sizes of the 740/940 center support bushing carrier. Is there an easy way to know which size was used in what year?

Thanks for the help.

Please share here. Might be some beneficial info.

Well Erik (cosbysweaterdouchetailgateskrillakilla) informed me that the 240 M47 front driveshaft is indeed a different length than the 740 variant. There is in fact 2 different 740/940 driveshaft center support bushings. I bought the smaller version at first which did not fit the 240 drive shaft. The larger version seems to fit but I'm having a difficult time pressing it on. It looks like it needs to be pressed about a 1/4" further on but I don't have a reference as far as how it's suppose to look when it's properly pressed onto a 740 driveshaft. I hope that makes sense.

Check out these photos. The welded lip/flange on the drive shaft has a gap that I'm not sure is suppose to be there.

Some progress photos.

This is the coolest swap I've seen on Tbricks.

Thanks!

A check point for the rally is in Santa Cruz next Friday in case anyone wants to check it out. The car will also be at the Concours d'LeMons next Saturday.

Anyone have a photo of a front driveshaft off a 700/900 with the support installed for reference?

Back