• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Late" 740/940 Accessory Bracket (Alt/AC)?

Mylesofsmyles

A Member
I'm presented with a riddle. How to best switch to the "late" 940 style accessory bracket for my Alt/AC bracket. For reference, my car is a 92 740 Turbo. It has the bracket with 7-total rubber accessory bushings. The four that support the A/C compressor attach to some semi-circle brackets that bolt to the A/C compressor

I wan to switch to this style...

AL9nZEWSFu__UDN-9EWFAwnXgl1JZXVywEE4n--MD_nGvbLRQxHOgz5iiaNycLCwt2oNDSSFqpON2MboGdnDg8sTB80tZiO-GMrDJooncJnD_0kvax7qn5Q7MTPA7lwMKcxOVZgCBCSGZlFVA4FShORnLaOMxw=w505-h673-no

There's the obvious, get the bracket! I checked rockauto for a/c compressors, and despite the bracket changes between years, the compressor is the same.

What hardware/bracket, bolt combination do I need for my compressor to bolt to new bracket?

Does anyone have any good photos of their factory setup, so I can reference?

I'm still hoping for a photo assembled. I'm not understanding how the AC compressor bolts to this, or how to adjust tension after.

If I remember I'll take a pic of the set up on a 940 I have at another location. The alternator tensioner is the same between both styles. The AC tensioner is completely different between the two versions of the bracket. I think the rear compressor stay may also be different. The hardware to attach the compressor at the bottom is the same.

The parts catalog shows the following parts are to be replaced when updating the bracket.

9146226 compressor mount bracket, qty 4
9146227 compressor adjuster, qty 1
9146231 compressor adjuster, qty 1

I'm betting these are the bracket to block mounting bolts and from what I've seen are the same both early and late bracket.

9146226 compressor mount bracket, qty 4

9146226 is the semi-circular mounting bracket. 9146227 is the rear adjuster without the tensioning screw.

GR-67134_5.png

9146231 is the adjuster with the tensioning screw.

1019265_z_0002.jpg

I'll have to take a look at the compressors I have. I have never had a problem interchanging the R-134 compressors with the various years of 940. I do have a 1994 940 that should have the solid mount bracket on it that I can take a look at.

Those brackets may be required to mount the older R-12 compressor on the newer style bracket. That would make more sense. A 92 740 does have the R-12 compressor.

Since the snowball has already started rolling, if those brackets cost much at all it might be time to just switch to the R-134 compressor that actually fits the block bracket. The line threads are the same at the compressor. The bend is slightly different to fit up to the V configurations of the compressor ports. I know 15A has successfully bent the lines to fit the later compressor. Or, you can update to the 1993-9X low pressure line by changing the dryer. Then, you would have a truly R-134 compatible system. Just charge it with Envirosafe and you don't even have to change the compressor oil. Almost none of the 1992 AC system parts are available anymore. Those pieces were only used in 1992 up until early 1993.

Last edited:
I ordered all those little puzzle pieces from Tasca.

I'm also not above swapping compressors, so interested in all these details. It'd be a compressor, lower hose, and dryer that's different in the later setup? I've heard the condenser is different/larger too?

It's 110+ daily here, 5 months out of the year, so I won't settle for anything but a optimum AC system....also didn't know what a can of worms I've opened here. So much for just changing o-rings and a recharge, lol.

I can only assume my system is the original, though there are stickers that disclose there had been a r134a conversion.....whatever that may include. What's an orifice tube, and do I need to worry about that?

Your 92 740 has the newer AC system just like the 240 got a redesigned system in 1991. The difference is the same evolution. The 92 740/940 runs R-12 refrigerant and then the 1993-95 940s run R-134. Almost every part of you 1992 system is 1992 only. The condenser uses threaded fittings at the line connections. The 93-95 system uses a slip fit with a retainer plate to connect the lines. So, all the hoses, dryer, condenser, compressor are all different from the 1993-95 systems.

Your 92 740 has the newer AC system just like the 240 got a redesigned system in 1991. The difference is the same evolution. The 92 740/940 runs R-12 refrigerant and then the 1993-95 940s run R-134. Almost every part of you 1992 system is 1992 only. The condenser uses threaded fittings at the line connections. The 93-95 system uses a slip fit with a retainer plate to connect the lines. So, all the hoses, dryer, condenser, compressor are all different from the 1993-95 systems.

Thanks! Okay, sounds like I'd basically need a parts car, or a day in the junkyard to harvest these pieces to make the swap. I can order a new compressor and condenser online, but the hoses I imagine are NLA at this point?

The last I checked the later 93-95 hoses are still available. You asked about an orifice tube. Those are $2.50. Yes, you should replace it if you open the system up to replace o-rings or anything like that. It is a metering device that has a filter built into it.

Okay, spending some time on FCP, RockAuto and the like to try to make sense of all this. I'm sold, you've convinced me I need to ditch all my old AC stuff and build it correctly.

So it's 93+ I'm after, or are there riddles (it seems there are) within 93-95?

- 93+ Condenser (I found Nissens, is that up to par?)
- Won't I need some other hoses to/from new AC compressor/condenser?
- 93+ Compressor to Dryer Hose (How where does this hose secure? Subframe?)
- 93+ Dryer (What's the riddle? Multiple PN's based on vins, Nissens or 4Seasons)
- Orifice tube, RockAuto shows one for normal climate, then my climate, Volvo only has one, What's the difference anyway?

Back