• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Shocks & Struts for Comfortable Ride

VolvoScout

I'm setting-up my 1982 244 D24 for my Dad to daily drive.

Currently, the car has a full set of Monroe shocks & struts that are a couple of years old.
They provide a comfortable ride, but are just a tad too bouncy.

I replaced the rear shocks with a pair of Bilstein B4 TCs I had lying around.
The Bilsteins are just a tad too stiff.

Whats the best compromise between Monroe and Bilstein B4?

The options look like the following:
Genuine Volvo (unsure of make & model)
Sachs

Are the Volvo shocks just rebranded Sachs?

How does the Sachs "Turbo Gas" strut compare to the "Automatic" strut?

Last edited:
I'm setting-up my 1982 244 D24 for my Dad to daily drive.

Currently, the car has a full set of Monroe shocks & struts that are a couple of years old.
They provide a comfortable ride, but are just a tad too bouncy.

I replaced the rear shocks with a pair of Bilstein B4 TCs I had lying around.
The Bilsteins are just a tad too stiff.

Whats the best compromise between Monroe and Bilstein B4?

The options look like the following:
Genuine Volvo (unsure of make & model)
Sachs

Are the Volvo shocks just rebranded Sachs?

How does the Sachs "Turbo Gas" strut compare to the "Automatic" strut?

I like KYB for an inexpensive stock replacement. The "Excel G" is the OE replacement, so the softest they offer. Haven't tried them in a 240 specifically, but they are supposed to be a good middle ground for most applications.

Low pressure gas usually give a good ride. You may be able to find dampening curves for specific shocks online or contact a few manufactures.

Are the original volvo shocks or Sachs stiffer than Monroe?

The original shocks were Boge Automatic shocks. They are smoother riding than the Monroe shocks. Sachs bought out Boge years ago and the Sachs hydraulic shocks are the original type replacement now. There is also Sach Super Touring which are gas shocks but are also made for a good ride with some handling improvement. There also used to be Boge Turbo Gas shocks which were a nice ride with a handling improvement.

I put Koni Sport Adjust shocks on all 4 corners, Didn't know how bad the old shocks were until my wife would not ride in the car. Best thing that I did once I got them adjusted.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DW99wvI_R6w" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Went ahead and ordered a set of Sachs shocks and struts for the '82 244 d24.
Hopefully, I'll get them installed in the coming weeks and have an idea on how they compare to the other options I've tried.

My '82 245 d24 has bilstein B4s all around, which to me are almost on the edge of a being a tad too stiff, but the extra weight of the wagon's body and stiffness of the wagon's rear springs as well as the stiffer diesel springs up front, make it work. The wagon handles wonderfully. I've tried the Bilstein B6, but those were just way too stiff for my preference on anything other than a straight, smooth road.

Back