• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Installing New Wheels

kubapuch

Hey guys,

I just scooped up my very own 1992 Volvo 240 and I want to eventually (by December) get new wheels on it. I'm definitely going to want to add spacers as well but I just have no clue how to go about the whole thing and am unsure what would be best.

I know what rims I'd like but I just want some feedback and perhaps some pointers on what I should do from you guys!

Here are the spacers I was considering: https://www.ipdusa.com/products/115...pacer-pair-240-740-760-780-940-960-ipd-125006

Here are the wheels I would like to get: https://esmwheels.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_64_73_93&product_id=64

What tires would I go about getting? I would like some space between the tires and the fenders so it doesn't rub too much. Do I need centric hubs? What else?

Here is my car to show I'm not full of it lol. Got her with 70k miles. :cool:

5rMiANx.jpg

The offset on the 8" wheels is troubling and the 9" wheels are pretty wide.

That said you might get away with it without molesting your shell if you stretch some 165s.

Last edited:
Those wheels are:
- 100mm pattern, not 108
- RWD offset

Or do you just mean 'wheels that look like that'?

The offset on the 8" wheels is troubling and the 9" wheels are pretty wide.

That said you might get away with it without molesting your shell if you stretch some 195s.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volvo-240-wagon-3/

Here is a Wagon build someone had sold on BaT that had 17? ESM rims. It should be possible, no?

John, I?d like to get ESM as opposed to something like BBS due to price point but something that looks similar in German style and low-key in branding would be great.

^

Looking at those BaT photos notice that wagon had its front inner fender liners removed and the fenders rolled to make room.

Nice car!

First off the spacers you linked maintain the stock 5x108 bolt pattern. You will need adapters for 5x100 bolt pattern in order to run the wheels you linked.

25mm spacers/adapters with 15x8 15mm offset will give you an effective offset of -10mm. That would probably be ok for the rear but too low of an offset for the front, unless you run a pretty small tire which will look silly with stock ride height. If you don't plan on lowering the car I would recommend finding a setup that will produce a higher offset so you can run a decent size tire (probably 225/50 or larger) to fill out the wheelwell.

Keep in mind the rear fitment is the tricky part on these cars due to the shape of the wheel arch. Rear inner fender lip will almost always need to be trimmed/rolled to accommodate lower offset or wider than stock wheels.

Nice car. Try to keep it nice and mostly original and you will enjoy appreciation of the value of the car. Why not use some volvo alloy wheels? The type of spacers you linked to are the kind that let you mount volvo fwd alloy wheels. There is a huge selection of high quality wheels you can buy. Check out this thread for a bit of what is out there. There are a lot of broken pictures but it gives you a basic idea. There are also 240/740/940 wheels that fit without spacers.

Edit:The thread about wheels is in showroom section. Sorry I forgot to put that in my post.

Last edited:
Nice lookin 240 there!

Check out bneshop.com for some cool wheels that will bolt onto your car

If you find a set of wheels that don’t have the right specs to bolt on, Motorsport tech makes high quality spacers/adapters that will make them bolt on the right way.

Willtheyfit.com is a convenient tool for comparing wheel and tire specs

Don't go more than 225mm wide unless you want to hit your tires with your fenders over bumps. Plus you don't need stuff that wide when ya got like 120 hp. My rear tires at 245/40-17 crunch over bumps fairly often even with brand new springs and Bilstiens. Plus I cut most of the inner lip off. Figure that crap out later if you ever want the car to be fast. 225/45-17 would have been a better choice for my car.

As Josh said, use willtheyfit.com, you get a visual on if you will have an issue. If you don't know the proper numbers to fill in, report back.

Very nice looking car btw.

That is called Multi X by Volvo. A good example of wheels that bolt right on. I would suggest that you will have terrible ride quality if you use 17" wheels and tires with nothing else done to the cars suspension. Many aftermarket 17" wheels are going to be much heavier than a stock Volvo alloy wheel. Try sticking with the 15" or 16" wheels. You will have more sidewall for ride quality and better handling.

You have all been so helpful!! I really love those Multi X and they look exactly like what I'm looking for. Given that they bolt on and everything, that would be perfect.

Sticking to the classic Volvo look is important to me and I want to keep much of it original without removing or damaging what exists. Now... where to find the Multi X...

Back