• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The best 91-93 240 windshield option in 2022

The install on my 242 was $320 all in. That was in May or June 2021. No rust repair needed, which surprised me.

A glass shop in my neck of the woods charged $160 all in to install a brand new FYG. This was in March of 2022. The mobile guy that bodged my first replacement (PGW) in October 2021 charged $350 if I remember correctly. Sometimes it pays to shop around.

Windshields can be a DIY thing but they're infinitely less frustrating if you own proper glass tools. There are a lot of bad glass companies, I would recommend calling some local body shops and ask who they use for glass work.

I've installed hundreds of fixed windows as a collision tech, y'all can PM if you have questions about replacing glass.

I 100% recommend urethane adhesive over butyl. It's a much higher quality product (if you buy good stuff) and when applied properly it will never ever leak.

I had a wind shield installed on my '87 245 early this year with a later windshield. I removed the old one cleaned and painted the opening. The shop came and installed the new later style windshield at my house for $250. I don't know what mfg it was will have to look, they did a great job.

I have a few tubes of this left if anybody is interested. Had to buy a whole case to get them at reasonable cost.

51TU5Q8yIWL._SL1398_.jpg

U428 is good stuff, I've used it for years. Be sure to check the date on top of the tubes, it becomes unusable pretty soon after that date.

Is urethane during installation something we have to ask for? Or is it generally used in good glass shops? I want to replace my sandblasted windshield and that butyl stuff is horrible.

Last edited:
Is urethane during installation something we have to ask for? Or is generally used in good glass shops? I want to replace my sandblasted windshield and that butyl stuff is horrible.

Pretty much everything modern uses urethane, but it won't hurt to ask and make sure they're using it. The important part is that they clean up all the old butyl before trying to apply urethane to the surfaces.

They told me at the shop that did my front glass that they aren't allowed to use butyl tape for installation anymore. So, mine was installed with urethane glue.

I just had the FYG glass installed and the gasket is HIDEOUS. Doesn't match the rear glass, has a big ugly seam and is too short to cover the paint line from the old gasket. Great deal but the gasket for me is a no go. When I paint the car I will be doing OE glass and gasket. To my knowledge the OE glass costs double and doesn't come with a gasket. I am assuming you have to buy the OE gasket and it will match the rear window. The OE gasket looks SO much better.

Is there anything stopping you from using urethane with the older style trim and clips?

I did that 6 months ago but it's a little leaky and the used glass cracked after it set. I Bought more clips, I think I'm going to try the urethane and old style glass again, even though it didn't work out the first time it does sound like the best option for me. Definitely not doing butyl in this weather, I currently have no garage.

Glass shops also sell universal molding in various widths to cover up the mark from the previous installation. I prefer a rubber molding when it's suitable because there's less wind noise than chunky metal trim.

I did that 6 months ago but it's a little leaky and the used glass cracked after it set. I Bought more clips, I think I'm going to try the urethane and old style glass again, even though it didn't work out the first time it does sound like the best option for me. Definitely not doing butyl in this weather, I currently have no garage.

I wouldn't be surprised if the glass cracked because there was a small chip on the edge. It's very difficult to remove a windshield without damaging it unless you are experienced. Even the best glass techs break windows from time to time.

Back