home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 06-06-2021, 01:30 AM   #26
hk 40
Banned

Thats correct so you'd never want to post an equal sign to relay they are not equal. At this hour thats a pretty insane concoction. Don't you think its about time to lay off the alcohol? I dont know who in their right mind drinks four locos... Thats some horrible ****.

Last edited by hk 40; 06-06-2021 at 01:37 AM..
hk 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:46 AM   #27
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

!= is standard notation for not equals.

and that's been the case since well before I got into programming in the early 90's

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:10 AM   #28
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk 40 View Post
Don't you think its about time to lay off the alcohol? I dont know who in their right mind drinks four locos... Thats some horrible ****.
We’re just getting warmed up. If only Sparks was still being made.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:17 AM   #29
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
We’re just getting warmed up. If only Sparks was still being made.
Oh buddy, blackberry sparks was the choice drink when Dan and I lived together and had to sit at the laundromat. Good times. Dan’s old 242 would spin some good doughnuts in the parking lot off Garden Home near the laundromat.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:19 AM   #30
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
!= is standard notation for not equals.

and that's been the case since well before I got into programming in the early 90's
Glad you corrected that, IN PROGRAMMING because they are mostly restricted to the main characters on the board and ASCII. is the standard notation for inequality in mathematics. Please there's no need to skew the truth when it is actually a programming stand in and not the standard symbol for inequality in mathematics. In correctness there are many other forms that are used as stand ins but you will not find != as the standard for inequality in mathematics. I first started programming long before 1990 more like the mid 70s. The language was basic and the pc was a commodore vic 20. I was well before all of that and to my knowledge FORTRAN was one of the first computing languages to use the equal sign. I doubt you know much about a commodore vic 20 or Fortran.

Cullberro If warming up means a battle with the phone world over 250 x 6 and totally get off topic I wont participate .its kind of silly if you ask me. Try you a nice cuban wrap and some Remy XO. Leave that cheap poison alone .

I think Its about time for Sparks to get his thread back? Don't you agree?

Itz been real
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 06-06-2021 at 02:44 AM..
Old 06-06-2021, 02:36 AM   #31
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

so there's some discussion as to when that became a thing, but it was in the C standard back in the early 70's, it's ok to call that standard notation anywhere. I've not run into anyone before now that took exception to it, and you're not old enough to have gone through a EE program where that wasn't a thing either. :-/
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:53 AM   #32
hk 40
Banned

Not really because you really have no other reason to use it especially here...Im sorry but it wont be anymore discussion about it or much more with you on my end. Im about to get laid playa....and not do this at 2:58. You need sleep and I actually have a life outside of Turbobricks....

Goodnight....

@ sparks u are in my contacts and have my pm if you need anything feel free to ask.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 06-06-2021 at 03:01 AM..
Old 06-06-2021, 03:09 AM   #33
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
Oh buddy, blackberry sparks was the choice drink when Dan and I lived together and had to sit at the laundromat. Good times. Dan’s old 242 would spin some good doughnuts in the parking lot off Garden Home near the laundromat.
I didn’t even know there was a blackberry flavor.
My go to was orange and green, both the color of their respective antifreezes. Orange was slightly bette than green iirc.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:31 AM   #34
Sparkles
Board Member

You guys are making me nostalgic for college coach day trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
[...] Make sure that the alignment is well centered and perpendicular. The recommended 1.5mm gap seems normal. Your custom bracket is aluminum (or robust plastic), right? [...]
I've got the sensor positioned really nicely with the bracket, so now I'll be making a non-ferrous version, thanks for heading that off
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:29 AM   #35
OttoB
Board Member

I would trust what Swedish engineers designed with sensor, braket and triggering and all. Several details are tested and proven by Volvo.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #36
Sparkles
Board Member

You know that you've strayed into the Aftermarket Engine Management forum though right?
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #37
OttoB
Board Member

Yes. I have built several different aftermarket ecus. OEM triggering systems are my first choice. Last choice would be front trigger wheel and hall sensor.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #38
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoB View Post
Yes. I have built several different aftermarket ecus. OEM triggering systems are my first choice. Last choice would be front trigger wheel and hall sensor.
The OE VR sensor on the flywheel is kind of a pile of garbage. Best bet would be to use a hall sensor on the flywheel.

Not all OE trigger systems are created equal.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #39
OttoB
Board Member

I have made couple Vipec and Maxxecus with stock vr stuff, both red and white blocks. Bolt on, connect couple wires. Turn key.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #40
hk 40
Banned

I agree I don't know why it would be seen as "Garbage". It would help to get a reason why someone would say something Volvo makes is garbage in a Volvo forum and not give clear reasons why they feel that way. If it works the idea to use the factory trigger and location is attractive.

Regards
Hubert
Old 06-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #41
cwdodson88
Board Member

With speeduino, there are some things that these ECUs do no do well with. Noisy sensors being the biggest depending on signal conditioners being used. But in my experience, the EMI susceptibility alone is a reason not go that route with a speeduino, especially with any high revs. Since the voltage magnitude changes depending on how fast the magnetic field changes, you start compounding the possibility of this happening.

Back to hall sensors. Ive had good luck with the Cherry and Honeywell hall sensors on pretty high revving engines.

The tabbed version sold by DIYAutotune is my recommendation and I believe it requires very little modification to fit the stock location. The alternative, would be to go to a DSM CAS. They're easy to diagnose, easy to set up, and surprisingly durable.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #42
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

The VR issue really only comes up when using a 60 tooth wheel, but that's not too hard to get around with a simple 5k ohm resistor.

But yeah, Hall sensors are great when kept cool. I think the GT101 sensor is decent in that regard.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #43
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
The VR issue really only comes up when using a 60 tooth wheel, but that's not too hard to get around with a simple 5k ohm resistor.

But yeah, Hall sensors are great when kept cool. I think the GT101 sensor is decent in that regard.
The few speeduino's that I've played with seemed to have trouble, and give me headaches with VR sensors, and you're probably on to something with tooth count being the big player as well as revs. The last one I played with was set up an old formula 1000 gsxr based engine, and above 8k it was all over the place with lots of weirdness from both cam and crank signals, and it could have really been any number of things. We decided to change the original VR sensors to hall sensors for both cam and crank, and the problem was solved. I did try the resistor method, but it didnt seem to be an end all solution and wasnt all that stable above the 7k mark.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #44
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
Klracing sells a crank pulley with a trigger wheel mount. https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar...vaxel-16v.html

I know this isn’t for a hall sensor but if you don’t have the room in back, why not in front?

Or why not go with a yoshifab cas setup?

https://yoshifab.com/store/billet-re...s-adapter.html

Slight hijack, any disadvantage of the CAS setup over the flywheel triggering besides a few more moving parts?

From Yoshifab site: It also is much more stable than a crank trigger setup in Mega Squirt.

How and why?

Last edited by Mueller; 06-08-2021 at 02:49 PM..
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #45
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Slight hijack, any disadvantage of the CAS setup over the flywheel triggering besides a few more moving parts?
They're just susceptible to alignment issues if you remove them or twist them, just like an oldschool distributor.

I like crank trigger and wasted spark because it's dirt simple and much less likely to screw up when doing t-belts or hectic service work (like on a race car).

When I talked with Josh about the crank trigger "issues", he was having problems with actual spark timing being unstable and not being able to rev high. He was attributing it to crank flex. I don't buy it.

The few crank trigger setups I've done (using the stock VR sensor) all rev over 8k rpm with the rally cars. No issues with crank flex or high revs on those. Super stable spark as well
The instability is pretty well documented when using MS, and it's REALLY easy to fix so it's not an issue.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #46
740atl
potty mouth

IMHO it allows instant sequential ignition without the need for a second trigger... for example using the 60-1 crank and a single tooth wheel on the distributor (stock 240 dizzy with all but one tooth cut off) which works well, it's just that getting a dizzy in and out of underneath a 16v head becomes troublesome.

The sequential ignition also allows megasquirt (at least MS3x) to identify which cylinder is knocking as opposed to giving a general 'hey bud you're engine is knocking' warning.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote