home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 01:54 AM   #26
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
They are quite as popular these days as most choose to go with IGN1A coils for high end racing applications now, but M&W cdi boxes used to be the go to for import drag and circuit racing 10-15 years ago. Think about 4 cylinder hondas on methanol running 60+ psi.
Wow. What are the IGN1A coils ? Please elaborate.

Regards
Hubert
Old 05-20-2021, 02:15 AM   #27
hk 40
Banned

I see. I guess I can fire this thing directly? I can use the ecu to set advance and retard maps?It doesn't need computer controlled dwell?
Old 05-20-2021, 02:21 AM   #28
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

This will help on the Ford heat soaking. I was the guinea pig for the 94-95 style module when I did my v8 swap. Nice heat sink and allows remote mounting in a cooler location. I never had an issue. I think the Aerostar and Econolines had the remote mounted module. Ford got into some trouble over the failed modules back in the day. And it used to be that the Motorcraft was superior in quality. Not so much anymore.
http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/i...es/tfikits.htm
Sold- 2006 V70R
Old 05-20-2021, 02:52 AM   #29
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceEngineered View Post
This will help on the Ford heat soaking. I was the guinea pig for the 94-95 style module when I did my v8 swap. Nice heat sink and allows remote mounting in a cooler location. I never had an issue. I think the Aerostar and Econolines had the remote mounted module. Ford got into some trouble over the failed modules back in the day. And it used to be that the Motorcraft was superior in quality. Not so much anymore.
http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/i...es/tfikits.htm
Well this is all something if you think about it. I take it you may be interested to see what the remote ford units would do as make shift coil on plug drivers in the brick? Well I'd truly need 4 if I was looking at doing what this thing above supposedly does. But it would be cheaper. I'm rather shocked in some ways IGN1A takes the place of a M&W or other CDI's because all in all it only sports 103 mj . Huh... the CDR500 , Msd DIS4, and M&W I'm pretty sure all carry more than that. I don't know about +60 pounds but I may wanna break something greater than 22 pounds. I plan water injection. The knock control is important for what I want to do. The ECUs can run up to 8 injectors so I also have 4 unused PWM outputs now to flag with different auxiliary functions. What's interesting about the TFI is I wonder is TFI just a fancy ford moniker for thin film capacitor If it is it THAT it should develop some crank and shouldn't be to slow. You gotta keep it cool though. You could liquid cool a sink.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 11:14 AM..
Old 05-20-2021, 03:03 AM   #30
hk 40
Banned

The other thing I wonder is would individual ballast resistors help dissipate the heat issue on the
capacitive modules.

Regards
Hubert.

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 03:16 AM..
Old 05-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #31
hk 40
Banned

In theory a thin film capacitor would have some advantage in dc stability over a multi layer ceramic capacitor. These have low electrical series resistance which should pull up some amperes. The low resistance and stability at dc should make it a very strong and consistent spark driver......In theory. Ford which I dont drive has come up with great ideas in the car journey no different from Chevrolet. One thing about Ford. They didn't need a Government bailout like everyone else did. That says something about the way they are doing things. They are better organized financially. That's obvious. Im also almost sure now that if you busted a TFI open that a TFC is in there. What I wonder about in such a beast is its duration ability.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #32
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Ford just had the luck to have borrowed a huge amount of money from private capital before the economic meltdown. once the meltdown happened, no loans like that were available for the other manufacturers.

So really, just a matter of lucky timing, not any real indication that Ford is superior to the others. At least in terms of government loans and ignition electronics.

And FWIW, Ford did take a big loan from the government during the financial collapse, just not through the same channels as the others:
https://www.energy.gov/lpo/portfolio-projects
Scroll down, Ford got 5.9 billion (with a b) on Sep 2009.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
Old 05-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #33
hk 40
Banned

It was never about SUPERIORITY I never said quite that... Its loosely thrown around too much ... but thank you for that information John.

Regards
Hubert
Old 05-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #34
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

If I was spending a lot of money on an ignition system. This is what I'd buy. This was recommended to me by Stealthfti many years ago. Still seems to be a great system. http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

Also from what I've learned here on the board. The Bosch 139 module has dwell control internally and is ecu triggered. They are from Saabs so it keeps with the Swedish car theme. lol.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #35
hk 40
Banned

I wish you guys would leave your names so I could thank you properly for you contributions. The issue with 139's is I think they are obsolete if you look at the current BIM line posted from Bosch Motorsports. If you cross it I will probably come back with one of the three hall triggered modules shown. All of them are single channel . I wonder since a point firing module looks at a saw could a psuedo points trigger be created by the gear tooth's shape. They didn't like the DAC idea but its seems like I could control it there simply by varying the pwm's dc. I heard about the JS but will look at those links promptly. 4 modules would run 180.00 dollars or so but for independent direct fire you now need 4 717's or 718's because I dont know what other coils they would be compatible with. The single coils would drive the price I think and have me looking right back a 4 channel CDI's. With batch firing system that controls dwell this is a bit easier, You dont have independent control but you can use the multi channel dumb modules. This allows EZK and MS to run on dual channel ignition for dless wasted spark. The can use 200's if Im not mistaken there setup is just like this off an EZK or MS with dwell control.

Thank you.
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 01:13 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #36
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

There is a dual channel module that people use with the wasted spark EZK upgrade. Don't know if it has dwell control. It is used to drive one of those bosch motorsport wasted spark coil packs. Sorry, don't know the number however, the module is the stock one from a 960 and is ecu triggered. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=328909&page=2 Post 49 has a diagram.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #37
hk 40
Banned

If I had dwell I could use the dual channels igniters this way. Since I don't and all the hall triggered are single channel this is what youd have to do to each plug with one single channel module per....

It gets ambiguous again because the 124 is listed as a hall module with Bosch but the Autronic notes on this particular ECU ,which has dwell control, detailed in it controls the dwell on this module. bobxyz spoke to this possibility of ecu controlled dwell with SMART modules but it appears they were burning coils up when the depended on internal dwell control. For 4 channel independent setup ud have to have four "smart" or self controlled type like 139s, 137s......... and possibly TFI's. See my problem... Its really not making much sense to me they burning up coils if the modules are SMART. Not to mention they aren't even showing a double ended coil thats compatible from Bosch with the hall triggered modules but the original diagram I posted has 008 in wasted spark setups with double ended coils....Its not really want I want but I don't even have a lead on coils that wont fry If I did dual single channel modules with double ended coils.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 01:57 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #38
hk 40
Banned

IGN1A smart coil is an interesting DFI concept if it doesn't need its dwell controlled and wont burn up. I also dont know if the ECU outputs need any protection from something like that. 4 of them seems to be close to 400.oo bones. And again is the total spark energy truly there over CDI at 103 mj? I also wonder it the TFI would be nicer to the coils? What are the boost level are people supporting with bosch module driven wasted spark setups ? Thank you dl please leave your name.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 02:02 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #39
RvolvoR
Board Member

The ign1a coils have been used on up to 2500hp V8s on methanol running 60+ psi of boost on twin 88s. I don't know exactly what your end goal is, but I am pretty sure that they will more than cover whatever you are trying to do. Same goes for an M&W box and your flavor of pencil style motorcycle coil. I have personally seen 1400whp on methanol with that setup on 35psi in an Acura 3.2 V6 drag car on the dyno I was operating at the time.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #40
RvolvoR
Board Member

Also, smart coils are referring to the coils having inbuilt ignitors, not that they have auto dwell control. Why, in particular, are you worried about the ignitor having auto dwell control? If you are using an ecu worth its salt, then you should be able to set dwell with that.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #41
hk 40
Banned

See here he is in all his glory. Thats a simple anus question with an easy answer from Autronics. Buy there CDI which carries a much stronger spark that this smart sht u posted. If you gonna ruin the discussion with that trash you may as well leave because I can also buy the dwell boards and run the same trash you do. That's all been explained in the previous post if you can read. Are you here to help or talk **** about my ECU's. If that's the case the exits to the left. Im not gonna keep going back n forth with you like ya lady does. If you got an issue I gave you my personal line yesterday. Be a man an use it if you got issue but the keyboard marauding that you continue even though the trash was placed in off topic where I didn't follow is quite enuf. When I left that thread I asked ya corny ass to try not to follow me to troll if you could. That said if you got a fukn personal problem you got the number big man I dont care what runs on them they carry 103 mj where the CDI 's are > 110. If you can only explain the generalities through word of mouth empirical accounts of something YOU CLEARLY DONT USE I will still have specific questions and you should get over that real quick. U must a very insecure individual. To feel so butt hurt at every fukn comment that doesn't roll right over to your suggestions. If you cannot control it I'd wish like Michael Jackson you'd beat it. Now I've tried to be amicable and every one can see that from my response to your IGNA1 post. That's final I dont have time for straw men! Im a grown ass man and quite frankly I dont have time for your sophomoric bullsht ok? If you got something else to say derogatory you be a fukn man and pick up the phone else I can just class u appropriately a coward behind a pc with alot of mouth and be done with you. Truthfully you don't know me and that's where it really stands. The other point is if they cannot regulate there own dwell I dont need them or you here so u can leave any time.... none of this troll food. I gave you an opportunity to speak on the coils and you didn't thats was your choice. You see Im no where dependent on what you bring to the board so you do not have to talk to me ever to reach my goals. If quite fine communicating with people that can speak my language. Its apparent you are not able to participate in my discussions without negativity so please leave me alone. U do not need to follow me around the forum stalking looking for places to start sht even though you were directed by some one that suggested to you that I dont look at OT which is also wrong but to follow me to the performance section to start another argument which you have. I looked at the idiotic off topic thread but why waste my time with racist remarks about bar b ques in the lands of ignorance in thread created simply to troll by CYBERMEN. I have a life with much better things to do in it than that. Misery loves company so much they step out of the crevasse of OT to the Performance section in the middle of a great technical discussion to seek some...coz no ones listening in OT and it got locked too. Its a pathetic existence and I feel sorry for people that need to do that. I care less. That's a valid existence to u so have at it. Any punk can sit behind a pc and talk sht .

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 05:35 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #42
740atl
potty mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk 40 View Post
See here you are I know that was where youd try to go. Thats a simple anus. For autronic you buy there CDI which carries a much stronger spark that this smart sht. If you gonna ruin the dicussion with that **** you may as well leave because I can also buy the dwell boards and thats all been explained in the previous post if you can read. Are you here to help or talk **** about my ECU's. If thats the case the exits to the left. Im not gonna keep gojng back n forth with you like ya lady does. If you got an issue I gave you my personal line yesterday. Be a man an use it if you got issue but the keyboard marauding that you continue even though the trash was placed in off topic where i didn't follow is quite enuf. When I left that thread I asked ya corny ass to try not to follow me to troll if you could. That said if you got a fukn personal problem you got the number big man I dont care what runs on them they carry 103 mj where the CDI 's are > 110. If you can only explain the generalities through word of mouth empirical accounts oof somethinh YOU DONT USE I will still have specific questions and you should get over that real quick. U must a very insecure individual. To feel so butt hurt at every fukn comment that doesn't roll right over to your suggestions. If you cannot control it Id wish youd beat it. Now ive tried to be amicable and every one can see that. That's final i dont have time for straw men! Im a grown ass man and quite frankly I dont have time for your sophomoric bullsht ok? If you got something else to say derogatory you be a fukn man and pick up the phone else I can just class u appropriately a coward behind a pc with alot of mouth and be done with you. Truthfully you don't know me and that's where it really stands. The other point is if they cannot regulate there own dwell I dont need them or you here so u can leave any time.... none of this troll food.

Regards
Hubert
Hubert, I really donít understand what the **** youíre saying, but Iím pretty sure you just threatened him.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #43
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
Hubert, I really don’t understand what the **** you’re saying, but I’m pretty sure you just threatened him.

Man get lost you never can read or comprehend. What you come here for? This is the performance section not an off topic discussion. U wont get anything here. U may as well go back to the barbecue. Not one post will address technically the listed spark energies. And I dont give a rats ass if you and ya boy want to cry like bitches about it. If you don't have anything to offer me about the differences there you and him may as well stfu!

Regardless just like your inane off topic locked trash Ill just ignore stalkers who bear drama.
I know you don't want anyone to see who really knows what here.

Goodbye!!!

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 05:07 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #44
hk 40
Banned

http://www.autronic.com.au/4_cyl_DFI...rk_jly2014.mp4
http://www.autronic.com.au/4_cyl_DFI...rk_jly2014.mp4

Here's a few video link to the AUTRONIC CDI ignition that works with my ECU with no additional pieces. Here you see this video operate the 4 cylinder to 20,000 rpm. It has a higher spark energy over every thing posted by the village idiot at 125 mj which it can clock at 800hz . I didn't want to talk about it as I was looking for "cheaper" options. But I'm at no tragic lost for a good ignition with my "garbage" ecu's with no dwell board installed...

If no one enjoys the ignition discussion you can lock it because buying another one of these mf at 1000 bucks is better than enduring trolling azzholes that cannot be contained in off topic playgrounds and never read the specs. 4 LS coils and I can go on and finish the garbage cars. U will stalk those threads next. I wouldn't have been the only one here to benefit a new cheaper ignition option for a brick. This would include those with dwell control so It only hurts the forum as a whole. If they realize that they can thank the loud mouth, stalking, jerks from atlanta and PDX for trashing it.

Later..
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 05:47 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #45
RvolvoR
Board Member

What did I say exactly to spur this mood swing of yours? You were talking about the IGN1A coils in the post directly above mine, no? I thought this was trying to have a real conversation here, but hey once again..if somebody doesn't support YOUR idea directly then they are a moron who is just trying to fight you, no?

There are some of us here who have a ton of real world experience, but if you have a **** attitude like yours, that is all you are going to get in response. Calm down and reread what I wrote. Nothing was inflammatory.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #46
RvolvoR
Board Member

Also, IGN1A coils aren't LS coils, bud.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:48 PM   #47
hk 40
Banned

Who said they were BUD still cannot read. Go T F away dude. Talk about spark energy you moron or shut UP!

Cage match .....

102mj vs 125mj

thats garbage posting for ya...

you wanna talk **** about my ecu trolling here u can kiss my ass because u see what it can do jealous LS lackey its got plenty of salt from the sweat have a taste.

"Why, in particular, are you worried about the ignitor having auto dwell control? If you are using an ecu worth its salt, then you should be able to set dwell with that."

So like I said if you cant address me better dont you fukn talk to me again. U so fukn smart you mean to tell me and act stupid in front of this forum like you missed two entire pages of fukn explanation. LOOK BRUH I dont have time for your dumbass sht.

GO!!!

Thanks
Hugh

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 06:02 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #48
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk 40 View Post
Who said they were BUD still cannot read. Go T F away dude. Talk about spark energy you moron or shut UP!

Thanks
Hugh
You're calling me a moron, but all you talk about is boost in psi numbers with no reference to power levels, fuel being used, or turbo/engine size. How dumb of an engineer are you?

Further, advertised mj output is a ****ing joke. Where is your real world tests of anything? The IGN1A coils have shown to put out 140-150mj with dwell around 6ms at up to 85-90% duty cycle...which in coil per cylinder or even a wasted spark setup, you probably aren't going to see in anything around here.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #49
hk 40
Banned

Look im done talking your speaking upon deaf ears I dont if your a ****ing racist or just some jealous azzhole but there is nothing else to say to me. U are a moron coz you continue to seek out someone you don't vibe with. I call that a dramatic loser and you need to go home. Really we arent friends and I do not care for your version of help. Is that clear enuf? Amongst real tuners. Autronic and in particular their CDI ignition has a name at the tracks that stands for itself you chose your garbage and I chose mine so get the fuk over it already and get lost talking to me. I bet your ECU and ignition race tuned Ferraris and Vintage track cars don't don. IGNA1 i showed posted there MJ rating @102...wtf would they post that when they could show 150mj so its its all false in that case. I do not like you at this point so there's nothing else to say. Ur purpose is solely trolling. U wont pick up that phone so I know all I need to know about you. Were past the point of word of mouth IGNA1 clarification that was a page and day ago. Even a moron could grasp at first indication if they don't work without ECU dwell control they wont work for me. 2 entire pages explaining that. Very intelligent reader.

You have a real video of the cdi at 20000 rpm .It certainly will support my needs without ecu dwell control with that spark and I dont have to endure your ignorant ass talking **** about my ecu that's truly better than your or listen to unhelpful post about ill explained coils that will not work. From here you're officially on my ignore list. You should do the same for the sake of the forum. Clearly I also don't run a 60 psi 2000 hp alcohol car. And you talk about overkill to reach a 14psi goal in a b230 thread. You had every opportunity to explain what you dropped here and none of it require talking **** about my equipment that you know cost a fukn dime! I think you have a personal issue because, you relish in systematic racism and stereotypes and find it amusing to speak about barbecues using memes of black people looking crazy. Im black, intelligent, and dont have to dwell in your poor mans options unless I chose too and that really chews you up. Who is this "nigga" talking about swedish cars and throwing this cash around. That's your fukn problem right there. Who respectful would find your racist memes in ot appropriate. No one informed or humane nor anyone simply aware or the state of race relations in America. Your nothing but a mean, unloving, insecure, racist devil that has nothing better to do than harass one of the few blacks on this board.

Yall got all that garbage in OT and think its cute but all I see is a thread of racist lil boys that would not talk like that if my name was Hanz. Hanz likes ribs too you should ask him!!! They also love pork they call them Schnitzel's . You probably dont have any real friends in Europe. Mine are some of the smartest in the world and they never discuss things like you disgruntled little American boys that envy them do. No Class.... You've never dated anyone like Elena Viazova a Ukrainian olympic medalist half decathlon runner. You have no lines to Dr Dieter Gerling or Christain Lucas. U dont know Kosta Kennellis. These are all people who have accomplishments that stand for themselves while your names are unknown outside of TB!

Marvelous!!

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 05-20-2021 at 07:32 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #50
740atl
potty mouth

Well Hubert I for one would like to apologize. I meant nothing racist. It was my mistaken impression that you were a non native English speaker. There were no racist overtones in any of my comments but rather a genuine desire on my part to understand where you were coming from and how to appropriately understand what you were saying. I don’t know how there could be anything racist about what was said, simply because I have no idea what you or most of anyone else on this board look like.

Yes, I think a few of us were busting your chops in a playful manner but certainly nothing racist.

Again I apologize because it appears you are deeply offended. Please accept my apology.

That aside, I think you are wildly taking this out of proportion. Wildly. The people on this board will go out of their way to help people.
Closed Thread