• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

What went wrong? I'll bet you have a new appreciation for why steel bellhousings are a good idea for anything that's going to be 'used and abused'....

What went wrong? I'll bet you have a new appreciation for why steel bellhousings are a good idea for anything that's going to be 'used and abused'....

Oh nothing flew out...that's carnage from the pedal force required on the Stage III pressure plate.

Scattershield is a very good idea .

Nothing let loose-just too much pressure plate.

Holy F Jared. Hope you get that figured out

Already been fixed...welded a plate over the broken weld nut, straightened, braced, and reinforced the pedal box, and swapped to a hydraulic clutch.

Well looks like I'm going back to an open diff weather I like it or not. Since I forgot to measure backlash before I disassembled the old diff, and the guy who pressed my bearings on mixed up the shims that were transferred from the old open diff, I've ended up with a very bad gear rattle. It's annoying. Very annoying.

I'm headed up to TrickMick's to pick up a 3.73 axle tomorrow, and I'll throw it in on Friday. Leave for college Saturday.

The 3.73 is likely going to make first gear short, but it'll improve 5th. It'll actually probably be better in the mountains.

I'll be keeping the G80, and probably swapping it back in over labor day. I'll be sure and actually set it up this time instead of just putting it in and hoping for the best...

Well...the 3.73 rear is a huge improvement over the 3.31. Really woke the car up. First gear is a little short, but not bad. 2-5 are all very improved.

Nothing let loose-just too much pressure plate

Thing is, something might let loose one day. Happened in my Chevelle. I got a scattershield after that.

It's a good idea if you're gonna be "on it a lot" a lot/hard.

What did you do for the shifter hole on your swap? Mine was an auto, so i'm not sure what is normally there in a manual car. Also, does your tranny lean to the left in the shifter hole?

the shifter box will unbolt and leave a hole.

Right...this would be the one i was refering to...where I can see the road, hear the tranny (loudly) and tell how hot the car is from the wind blowing in through the hole! :oogle:

What I wanted to know was what he used for a shifter boot after the T5 went in. I picked up a stock one, and got the correct shifter stick for the Pro 5.0, but the Volvo manual boot makes 2nd hard to get into and 4th will pop out of gear. It doesn't do this without the boot on.

I got a hurst style shifter handle and used one of the generic boots from advance/az/oreilly. Photos of the shift handle are a few pages back.

Edit// the stock mustang shifter handle puts the knob way back...almost between the seats.

Anyone have a picture of the stock shifter? For a 940 it needs to go back about 4" and I'm wondering if that would work for me.

Methinks it would hit the top of the transmission tunnel.

index_steal_mini1_big.jpg

(the one on the left)

Either one looks like would be easy to make a modded version of.....................

Swapped in my RSI Stage II Turbo cam today-finding the shims was a bit of a battle only because my hardheaded self couldn't wait on Derrick. My life would've been easier if I had...

Anyway, the cam is in, shimmed as such:
DJpe1.jpg

No abnormal valve noise. Just a nice, smooth sewing machine sound. I'm pleased.

First impressions: The car is much rev-happier. It pulls much harder than the K did.

Also, I cleaned up the engine bay a little. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Tomorrow, I also have to check my driveshaft alignment and swap on a new front brake setup and control arms. All that's easy...wanted to get the more difficult stuff out of the way first.

Back