• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Thanks Jordan. LOL, Old Grandpa Tune. I forgot exactly what was entailed with an OGT. I think I have a small vac leak, other than that it rolls out decently. I have no idea how much boost I'm running. Not enough to ping on premium...:lol:

What is wrong with Old Grandpa Tune. I have it and like it, and don't go taking my radio off of AM where it belongs.

Looks like a nice car that won't take much to have really tidy!

That picture just gave me a seizure, THERE'S SO MUCH DIRT ON YOUR TRUCK!!! Mine's cleaner. :lol:
Mine's still a bit dirty under the hood from that St. Joes trip, and that was ~2 years ago.

The rear axle will flex quite a bit - it takes a lot to get a wheel dangling:
IMG_0066.jpg

I knew a guy with a 2WD Explorer once. We all used to tease him about his 'minivan.' ;)

As an admirer of the versatility of the minivan, I'm offended by the jab at your acquaintance's crappy Exploder.

picture.php

What is wrong with Old Grandpa Tune. I have it and like it, and don't go taking my radio off of AM where it belongs.

Looks like a nice car that won't take much to have really tidy!

Thanks. Eventually I want to basically OGT this. 16t, 2.5 or 3" exhaust, ipd cam, chips... and maybe down the road a manual swap.

Last edited:
3rd gens didn't get the frame recall like the Tacomas did.

Any frame rust should be surface and nothing structurally damaging. Supposedly we had better frame coatings.

A few people have managed to get rusty frames on 3rd gens, but they're generally from vry srs salt belt states, and the car was probably never washed after driving in winter. It's rare.

The Tacos were rusting out all over the place. US made frames from DANA vs. the 4Runner's Japanese made frames.

Sort of like all the old 60's Land Rover's, which had a similar fairly light gauge boxed steel frame that was no match for salty roads. There used to be saggy looking Land Rovers parked in backyards all over the midwest. I think some people made a cottage industry out of getting them for cheap and sticking new galvanized frames under them, then selling them on for $$$$$.

Ewww. Oh heck no. I was looking into trutracs today though, although I have no money right now. I'm looking forward to some light offroading on some camping trips and stuff, but that'll probably be it.

Last edited:
Putting a locker in the back of a 2WD would probably make it fairly capable. But you do have to have the front wheel spinners for the truly stupid human tricks.

For being such a rural state, Missouri doesn't really have that much off-roading around. Unlike the states out west that are half (or more) public lands of one type or another, Missouri is almost all privately owned. Just not many large chunks of land with 'unimproved' roads going through them. A lot of the wheeling we've don in-state has been in pay off roading parks (Wa****a, Moonlight Racing, St. Joe's, SMORR, Sayersbrook). Which is fun. But not as neat as doing mountain passes or desert single track out west.

Smorr is a very nice place, well kept, clean, trails marked clearly.

But sadly your right, it's nothing like going to colorado and driving in some of the stuff out there, and further west.

Smorr is a very nice place, well kept, clean, trails marked clearly.

But sadly your right, it's nothing like going to colorado and driving in some of the stuff out there, and further west.

Yep, had a Cherokee and we can drive up over 13,000 feet here. Broke on Mosquito Pass after the guy that fixed the heater core installed the 4wd linkage wrong. After initial panic I ran the tow strap under the car to the shift lever for the transfer case, then had another guy pull on it it get it back into 4wd. There are tons of roads that go from mild Volvo doable to crazy only that don't need permits or anything.

I don't miss California where a stupid senator decided someone might run over a turtle so they crammed everyone into a few square miles of desert. It was sort of like the Roadwarrior, except alcohol was involved.

That car is too nice for a DD in the midwest, what with the snow and ice here today. Really, like the look, nice job!

That car is too nice for a DD in the midwest, what with the snow and ice here today. Really, like the look, nice job!

Thanks! It was basically a pampered one owner with 92k miles when I got it. It had been sitting off and on for quite a while before a well-known midwest Volvo guru finally bought it from some clients. He did some quality work to get it back on the road and I ended up hearing about it through our local VCOA club.

Crawling around the underside, it really doesn't look like it's seen winter much at all. After seeing the precipitous drop of in the availability of creampuff 940s, I really wanted to preserve it and I'm glad I did. My commute is 74 miles a day, so I initially racked up some miles on it after I got it, but even now it only has 103k on it and really is in nice shape. I'll try to get the thread back on topic by posting some more pictures. :-P

36068711705_2cf0205e3a_b.jpg

35898912132_03762debaf_b.jpg

36068713975_ed49f5933b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Those seats are an improvement over the ones that came in my 760 and were like Goodwill lazyboys. (replaced with 740 turbo manual proper chairs).

The original owner really took care of your car.

Yeah, leather 940 seats are pretty nice IMO. The cloth 7/9 seats don't have the contouring and bolstering the leather ones have.

The original owners took it in for everything. It had a lot of dings, which were taken out using PDR. Other than that, it really just needed new struts/shocks, an in-tank fuel pump and a good wax and detail.

Last edited:
Back