home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #26
hiperfauto
The Librarian

I know what the parts manual says but after years of busting B30 timing covers open with a hammer in the junk yard (it takes too long to pull the cover) the only 164's I've found steel gears in were '75½ models which can be identified by the wider 264 style tail lights and 240/260 rear suspension.

While the valve cover is off you should have someone crank the engine with the starter (preferably with the spark plugs out so it turns faster) and observe how far down each valve goes. Worn cam lobes are common and can cause some top end noise. Another thing to look for is a loose valve guide.

I'm not a fan of adjusting half the valves at the same time. I've done it that way and had inconsistent results. When I rechecked each cylinder at TDC they weren't where I set them previously. Volvo used to recommend adjusting half of them at a time but later issued a Service Bulletin to use the "rock" method.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/...Adjustment.pdf
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #27
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

From sitting a long time. These engines can develop a bit of corrosion in the bore between the lifter and it's hole. That makes for a steady tapping sound. We had a rebuilt engine in our 75 245 which had the sticky cam follower making a tapping noise. It happened a couple of times as we let the car sit. Eventually we put the engine in our 69 145 and it had the tapping. It seemed to go away as it ran and had a couple of oil changes.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #28
142 guy
Board Member

Perhaps the OP has grown up with Honda Ks or cars equipped with hydraulic lifters. The noise they are now hearing may be normal Volvo OHV racket. Of course, without getting caught up in the debate over which procedure to follow, a valve lash check is still a relatively simple procedure to rule out excess lash as the source of the noise.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #29
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnh View Post
run from any shop that’s puzzled by any prominent noises from these motors.
^^ .. ^^

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #30
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Gotta love that sewing machine sound from the OHV engines. A smooth running OHV valve train is still much noisier than an OHC engine.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #31
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Gotta love that sewing machine sound from the OHV engines. A smooth running OHV valve train is still much noisier than an OHC engine.
Definitely true. I thought the valvetrain noise and piston slap on my B230 was bad. I've just now gotten used to what the "healthy" ticking sounds like on my B20.

There isn't a lot going on inside and not too many things to check. I did end up with lifter tick the first couple times I fired up the car's original B18 because it had sat for two years. An oil change and it was fine.
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #32
mhgreen
Board Member

Definitely upload a video once you get the car back! Would love to hear what scared the mechanics.
mhgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #33
JohnMc
PV Abuser

And a quiet OHV engine isn't a good thing. That means tight valves, and tight valves might end up being burned valves.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:01 PM   #34
2 old for this
Board Member

When you change the oil use something like Shell Rotella 15/40. It has vitamins that your cam/lifters need.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote