• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Valve Springs?

OldCarNewTricks

I plan to replace the intake stems seals on the b23f in my 83 242 soon. I get a bit of blue smoke upon start up, and since I'm already going to be swapping in the A cam, it will work out perfectly.

With valve springs, I'm most familiar with the LS motors, and how age and mileage effects those. An LS motor with a good amount of mileage can really benefit from some new valve springs. My b23f has well north of 250k miles, and I'm wondering if new valve springs are ever really needed on these motors if they aren't broken?

Valvetrain is valvetrain. When I refresh a head, I put springs in it. Also, I use beehive springs, because they offer superior performance.

Valvetrain is valvetrain. When I refresh a head, I put springs in it. Also, I use beehive springs, because they offer superior performance.

Makes sense. What brand of springs do you use, and where do you get them? That would also require different retainers, correct?

I found that ITM VS1275 is supposed to fit the 240s. Only $51 shipped through RockAuto, so not bad. Anyone have experience with those?

We did a group buy with Yoshifab and bought a kit with all the parts needed for beehive spring installation.

I see. Thanks for the info. Yoshifab has the kit for $285, but that's pretty expensive for no gain in my case. I'm running an A cam to start, so I'll likely stick with an OE replacement.

I found a NOS set of Volvo valve springs for $65. All the aftermarket OE springs require different seats and retainers, so I think those Volvo ones may be my best bet.

Volvo used 2 different size valve springs, 29mm and 33mm. According to the parts catalog B23F engine got the smaller 29mm springs and it looks like that's what the VS1275's are.

If you get 33mm springs you'll also need the spring seats and retainers for them.

Whats the part number on the NOS Volvo springs?

Volvo used 2 different size valve springs, 29mm and 33mm. According to the parts catalog B23F engine got the smaller 29mm springs and it looks like that's what the VS1275's are.

If you get 33mm springs you'll also need the spring seats and retainers for them.

Whats the part number on the NOS Volvo springs?

Interesting. Do you happen to know why they had the two different sizes?

The P/N is 473739.

VS1275's *may* be the way to go, since they are a tad cheaper.

You're not lying. No wonder they haven't been able to sell them, there's a typo in the part number. 473739 doesn't come up in Volvo's system.

The larger springs are a little stiffer so they're better suited to a cam with higher lift.

s-l800.jpg

Last edited:
You're not lying. No wonder they haven't been able to sell them, there's a typo in the part number. 473739 doesn't come up in Volvo's system.

The larger springs are a little stiffer so they're better suited to a cam with higher lift.

s-l800.jpg

I need to measure mine to see what I actually have. Looks like they could either be the larger on the left, or the small ones in the middle...

I'm thinking that either the 29mm or 33mm would be the best suited to the A cam over the M cam.

According to https://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Head/cylinder_head_531_530.htm it seems that my head (1000 398) likely came with the 33mm springs. Well, under the photo it says the B21/B23 would come with the 33mm and the 26mm was used on the low friction models in '85 on. 29mm was used to upgrade the weak 26mm springs.

Edit: so I think that means the NOS springs would be the ones that would work?

Last edited:
The parts catalog (which isn't always correct) specifically calls for the 9135130 spring for B23F engines. This tidbit from the greenbook says B23F used 26mm springs. I know I said it should have 29mm springs but it's hard to tell whether the spring is 26mm or 29mm since the part number didn't change. You'll need to measure to be sure.

ValveSpringSpecs.jpg

The parts catalog (which isn't always correct) specifically calls for the 9135130 spring for B23F engines. This tidbit from the greenbook says B23F used 26mm springs. I know I said it should have 29mm springs but it's hard to tell whether the spring is 26mm or 29mm since the part number didn't change. You'll need to measure to be sure.

ValveSpringSpecs.jpg

I'll have to measure my springs during my next weekend. If I have 26mm springs, I'll likely end up using Volvo's service kit p/n 271793, which includes the 29mm spring, and both of the required retainers. At least, I think it does..

It looks like the 29mm springs, seats and retainers did have different part numbers, 1332136, 1332137 and 1332138 respectively. The part numbers only appear in the '85-'87 240-260 catalog and the 780 catalog. The later catalogs use the part numbers for the smaller springs in the '79-'84 parts catalog, 9135130, 9135132 and 9135131 respectively. As you said, the 3 pieces are available as a service kit.

3c534f483321ac0b233f85bcf823e299.jpg

I use Ford Mustang 4.6 32v springs (I think it's from an early 2000's Cobra or something like that) and 6.2 Ford F150 Raptor retainers. I open up the top of the spring with a Dremel tool to fit the retainer, some guys turn the retainer down to fit the spring. It's not much, like 0.020", and I haven't found that it compromises the spring at all. About 8000 race miles at up to 6840 rpm on the same set.

Back