home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
whatshouldido
Board Member

Default 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo lh2.4 Swap Fuel pump power

Hey whats up everyone,

Swapping a 91 lh 2.4 + T / m46 in a 1988 740 Turbo Wagon

So far drive train is in the car pedals and all that good stuff, now I am wiring up the car to make go vroom !

The 740 has the Chassis Wiring still and I have the ecu/ezk plugged in to help trick the car,

So far I have found the

-starter solenoid wire , so the car cranks with key
- and the constant 12v for the ignition coil

I am now trying to get the fuel pumps to work,

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=32343

Using this thread I see there is a brown wire that is supposed to have 12v constant

And I noticed a brown wire near the ignition coil which gets 12v constant , so I am wondering if this needs to be given power to jump the relay .

I am really just trying to trick the car into starting the pump with the key turned to ignition without hardwiring the pump and trying to keep the stock wiring, I do not have any of the engine wiring for the lh 2.2 car but do have a 91 740 engine harness at my disposal !

Sorry If this is Confusing ! Thanks aswell ! 4

--1977 244 360k+ miles all original
** drive till wheels fall off
whatshouldido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
whatshouldido
Board Member

okay so I have found Jumping pin 17 and 21 on the ECU plug for the lh2.2 that is in the car then grounding them out will trigger the relay and the fuel pumps !

So now the question is how to make the ECU do this while it is still has the ecu plugged in is the next question !
Old 04-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I would suggest just jumping the pins on the relayboard to make the pumps run. You can jumper from pin 30 to pin 87 and that will start the pumps. You remove the relay from the socket on the fuse box and then jump from 30 to 87 using a short jumper with male spade lugs. It's a good idea to fuse the jumper with a 16 amp fuse.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:48 PM   #4
whatshouldido
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I would suggest just jumping the pins on the relayboard to make the pumps run. You can jumper from pin 30 to pin 87 and that will start the pumps. You remove the relay from the socket on the fuse box and then jump from 30 to 87 using a short jumper with male spade lugs. It's a good idea to fuse the jumper with a 16 amp fuse.
noted on the fuse ! But if I do this then the car will run the pumps whenever the car has a key in it and ignition set to II ?

Want this as turn key and close to OEM Function as possible, and just trying to learn how the system ticks ! Makes future diagnosing easier , apricate it !