home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-12-2022, 09:49 PM   #1
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

Default Help

Not sure if this should be in this section. As the title suggests, I need help. I have been working on my 1990 240 for the past 2 years and have yet to have it up and running long enough to get it smogged. The starter was the last thing I just replaced and it was a monumental task as the PO used the wrong bolts and Loc-Tite. I have finally put it back together and now it doesn't want to start. It just sounds like it's cranking over and over. The battery is fully charged and both fuel pumps turn on when the key is on. I am in Socal in north county and was wondering if there is anyone local that could help. I have checked the forums and am a much better of a visual learner. I just wanna drive this sucker and enjoy it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
wht_245wagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #2
James M
Bored member

Not necessarily the right section but I guess it is technically wanted. Maintaince and non performance is probably a better choice. If I was local I'd come help.

There are some good no start threads here that go over most of the options, work methodically to find out what doesn't work. Probably also worth doable checking you didn't unplug anything and forget about it
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:22 PM   #3
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -

I'd swap the fuel pump relay and go from there if it cranks over.
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=365641

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #4
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Click on my signature for the basic no-start diag for the DIY tech. You will need a $10 incandescent test lamp and a $10 for two cans of brake cleaner.

Has the flex plate been removed and re-installed recently?
Old 09-12-2022, 10:33 PM   #5
philski o'flood
Board Member

2 years!?!

Cranks but no start... fuel pump relay, crank position sensor, What ECU is in it... um it's got gas and a good fuel pump right?

Did you ever have it running?
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:11 PM   #6
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

I have had the car running, before. I drove it down from its initial place to where it is now. It was running fine then the starter made a really bad grinding sound so I had to replace it. It has probably 10 gallons of 93, fuel pumps both turn on and work. I'm going to go over and check all the connections to see if I am missing something.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:14 PM   #7
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Take the oil filler cap off and confirm the cam is turning.

Read my no start thread. ---Confirm spark, clear flood, use brake cleaner.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #8
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

I will try this 2mrw when I get off work and can hopefully get a second set of hands.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:22 PM   #9
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

240 has a starter jumper wire at the center of the firewall. Make a jumper wire, shove a stripped end in there if you gotta, and slap the other end to positive.

It's a blue/yellow wire with a female spade terminal. No helper needed!
Old 09-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #10
nel621
Board Member

check that 25 amp fuse by the battery
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:01 PM   #11
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

Thanks, I am going through the no start diagnosis right now. I have spark at the coil will be testing to see if the fuel injectors are working as I pulled them from a JY car. If they don't I will put in my stock ones and send the others in for cleaning. I don't know if it would cause an issue but my car had the cold start injector but I switched out the intake to remove it. I plugged it back in so we will see. The cold start is a huge pain in the ass to do anything fuel related as it just gets in the way.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #12
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Very common for fuel injectors that sit in the salvage yard for awhile to varnish stuck and or not spray properly.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP/ BNE coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15T. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. With wildly uncontrolled wastegate. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #13
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Does it run on brake cleaner?
Old 09-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #14
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

I will do that first then swap injectors if needed. I should have a full can in the garage.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:39 PM   #15
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Just be careful with the fumes if you are running it on brake cleaner or similar. Hot (>500C) brake cleaner can decompose into phosgene, a WWI war gas.
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:57 PM   #16
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

Yea, just a couple of sprays to see if there is a fuel problem. I have a feeling that might be the issue.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #17
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

Quick update, I sprayed brake cleaner and had my daughter crank. Still same sound and no start. Then I paid more attention to the belts and noticed that everything was moving except for the camshaft belt and found what looks like a chewed up washer behind the tensioner. Any idea what that could be. When I try and manually crank the engine the cam belt doesn't rotate.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 PM   #18
philski o'flood
Board Member

timing belt
Old 09-16-2022, 01:12 AM   #19
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

So looks like the camshaft dowel broke off and destroyed the washer behind the cam gear. I took the camshaft off and there is scoring on the #2 cap. The other caps are fine and smooth to the touch. I will try and add some photos.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:39 AM   #20
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

Old 09-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #21
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

I don't really recall there being a washer that goes behind the cam gear in B230F. It's been a while since I've done one.

I can't tell right now from the pics, but that scored bearing surface isn't good. I've seen worse. It may not be the issue. It's a good idea to plastiguage the cam bearing surfaces when you install a cam. I'd also make sure all the oil passages aren't clogged.

Did you measure the valve clearances? I take out the hushers, set the clearances, then install new hushers.

Last edited by ZVOLV; 09-16-2022 at 10:17 AM..
Old 09-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #22
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I don't really recall there being a washer that goes behind the cam gear in B230F. It's been a while since I've done one.

I can't tell right now from the pics, but that scored bearing surface isn't good. I've seen worse. It may not be the issue. It's a good idea to plastiguage the cam bearing surfaces when you install a cam. I'd also make sure all the oil passages aren't clogged.

Did you measure the valve clearances? I take out the hushers, set the clearances, then install new hushers.
Some earlier cars had the washer. My 89 740 has one. I remember b23 and b21 engines having them as well.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #23
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

I opened the picture on a real computer (not a phone) and the bearing damage on #2 looks worse than I thought. The cam bearing surface looks even worse!

You likely have a clearance issue, or a lubrication issue. As I mentioned, Plastiguage is the way to go for a quick clearance check. I put an IPD cam in my head and the rear bearing is wiped and so is the cam, but I put it back together that way and I am still running it like that. I was in a rush to get it back together and off the rack.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #24
philski o'flood
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I don't really recall there being a washer that goes behind the cam gear in B230F.
Washer on back side of cam gear? So like Gear > Washer > Camshaft

Never ever seen that....

The washer most likely caused the cam pin failure by not allowing it to sit down properly and caused to much load on too small an area of the pin
Old 09-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #25
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Yeah ^^^

I edited my post, but I originally declared there is no washer behind the cam gear, but I thought I've seen one before on old models. I can't remember.

That still doesn't explain why the cam wouldn't turn.

OP told me he put a T cam from a different engine in this head.