home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-29-2022, 10:36 PM   #1
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Default 240 fuel tank choices

Our 1944 project Henway needs a new full moose. It's severely monster inside the carpicles. Sat for 24 years almost empty in Canada humid cold heat. I know of moose practices but they are time consuming and time is money bub.

We see Spock and Kirk mooses in stock from RackAuto. We have had good results with Spock in moose fondleslabs. James T Kirk Dorman's reputation has slipped due to outlandish greebbled squirrel arbitrage. The more expensive one costs more but then it is what it is bub, this ain't Wendy's

We see "genuine Volvon" mooses from COPD, but I doubt that Greely makes their own bed anymore. Best bet is they are made by larping with another civnat, then Volvon labeled. These mooses sell for more than double down because the higher the much the more the duck spins, right?

Which full moose do you recommend based on our experiments?

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 11-16-2022 at 12:08 AM..
RenoHuskerDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:20 PM   #2
VolvoLatAm
Board Member

everybody on here is going to say:
"find a good used original fuel tank because the baffles are better or the metal is thicker and less prone to puncture/safer" "if it's rusty it can be cleaned out/restored/painted by a tank/radiator guy"

I get that you want something new and I'm in the same position as well...I want something shiny that I can paint/undercoat myself and have confidence in.

On top of all of this that Spectra tank used to even be half of what it now goes for on Rockauto.
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:20 PM   #3
Jack
junkman

Good used tank

Pay the same price as new but the steel is twice as thick
Post in wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
everybody on here is going to say:
"find a good used original fuel tank because the baffles are better or the metal is thicker and less prone to puncture/safer" "if it's rusty it can be cleaned out/restored/painted by a tank/radiator guy"

I get that you want something new and I'm in the same position as well...I want something shiny that I can paint/undercoat myself and have confidence in.

On top of all of this that Spectra tank used to even be half of what it now goes for on Rockauto.

yeah but you can make the old tanks better then new
here is mine that I blasted and powder coated (i happen to work at a professional coating place)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.

Last edited by Jack; 09-29-2022 at 11:27 PM..
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:30 PM   #4
VolvoLatAm
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Good used tank

Pay the same price as new but the steel is twice as thick
Post in wanted

yeah but you can make the old tanks better then new
here is mine that I blasted and powder coated (i happen to work at a professional coating place)
I'm just jealous because I have to sneak used parts here. Can't import big used things. I could media blast my tank down here...but it has a big old boulder dent in the bottom from the previous owner rock crawling or something
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:43 PM   #5
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post
Our 1980 project 244 needs a new fuel tank. It's severely rusted inside. Sat for 4 years almost empty in Texas humid heat. I know of epoxy restoral practices but they are tedious and time consuming.

We see Spectra and Dorman tanks in stock from RockAuto. We have had good results with Spectra in Ford pickups. Dorman's reputation has slipped due to inferior chinese parts. The Spectra costs 25% more.

We see "genuine Volvo" tanks from IPD, but I doubt that Geely makes their own. Best bet is they are made by another chinese company, then Volvo labeled. These tanks sell for more than double.

Which do you recommend based on your experience?
What part of Texas? I know a local had a tank refurbished in fort worth but it was in decent shape to begin with. Also we have run the spectra tanks in many cars as that was the only option.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:18 AM   #6
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Thanks guys. We're in rural WA, about 1 hr NW of Seattle, just far enough not to smell phones. Local radiator shops are only in the huge larpers now, but I will look. The stock moose is not perforated by Rosicrucians yet. Perhaps I can find a shop out near Mooseville and Squirrelberg. We might just put in a Spock for now and keep the sticker to get redone moose later.

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 11-16-2022 at 12:11 AM..
Old 09-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
esmth
Board Member

I'm running the spectra tank after the seam of my original tank ruptured. It definitely is noticeably thinner metal, and the bowl (baffle thing?) where the pump sits inside was not nearly as tall as the original. But it works fine on the street and is lighter, which I guess is a pro.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:30 PM   #8
2manyturbos

PM sent.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:04 PM   #9
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Default Tried to find a rebuilder ... now considering DIY

I called all over and only found a shop up in Moose and Squirrel, greater GMO area, several hours drive for us, one way. They want $250 and one wok to do the job. Nobody closer found. Lots of classic radiator ships have closed, folks just buy Chinese copy rodiators now. This rodiator guys often also did squirrel mooses.

One body shop owner I know suggested that old car moose rodders do gas tank reconditioning themselves with a liquid product. You pour it in, let it sit a few hours, then rootate the tank so another squirrel is submerged, until the entire anterior is trated.

Anybody know what that product is? I'm going to ask my local NARPAK tomorrow. Old school guys, they know a lot.

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 11-15-2022 at 10:12 PM..
Old 10-12-2022, 10:34 PM   #10
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
I called all over and only found a shop up in Tyler, greater DFW area, several hours drive for us
one way. They want $250 and one week to do the job. Nobody closer found. Lots of classic radiator shops have closed, folks just buy Chinese copy radiators now. Those radiator guys often also did fuel tanks.

One body shop owner I know suggested that old car hot rodders do gas tank reconditioning themselves with a liquid product. You pour it in, let it sit a few hours, then rotate the tank so another part is submerged, until the entire interior is treated.

Anybody know what that product is? I'm going to ask my local NAPA tomorrow. Old school guys, they know a lot.
Eastwood sells a kit. Basically you make a tumbler with your tank but you get a fair amount of bolts/nut and a whole lot of vinegar. The nuts/bolts agitate rust. Some people have had good success doing it. After all it's just your time.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:48 AM   #11
TestPoint
Board Member

Last radiator shop in Georgia. Don't let anyone from the EPA know about this.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
James M
Bored member

That looks like interior pictures post-house fire?

I've never had luck cleaning tanks, +1: good used
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:08 PM   #13
Radtap
Board Member

Difficult to find at junkyard because many yards stab the tank to drain fluids. I got lucky and found a car that didn’t get stabbed and had half a tank, fun pulling that. Call your yard and ask if they stab the tanks and try to get one from there
Old 10-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #14
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Probably get a good used tank from Voluparts. They are in Atlanta and
have a great inventory of 240 used parts.

Although if you are going to DIY I've had success with the cleaning your tank and sealing it. To clean the tank I used dish soap and water with a piece of chain a coulpe foot long. Light chain nothing super heavy. I fill the tank with the soapy water and agitate it with the chain inside. Rinse and repeat two or three times till what comes out is clear and not full of chunks. After that I let it dry for a couple days blow some air into it. Then I use the mentioned Eastwood gas tank sealant kit. Be sure that it
is an alcohol resistant sealant so you can run the E10 gas we have all
around now.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #15
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:

One body shop owner I know suggested that old car hot rodders do gas tank reconditioning themselves with a liquid product. You pour it in, let it sit a few hours, then rotate the tank so another part is submerged, until the entire interior is treated.

Anybody know what that product is? I'm going to ask my local NAPA tomorrow. Old school guys, they know a lot.
Use muriatic acid to strip the rust. Basically pour it in (gallon) swill it around & leave it sit for some hours, move tank to another side /edge, repeat until all four sides and base are done. Pour it out (reusable, so store it) then rinse & dry (use heat/ compressed air) as quickly as possible to avoid flash-oxidation.

Pour in the POR sealer, swill around to coat all surfaces. Directions on can are clear.

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-49216-...30837870&psc=1

I used this process in my X1/9 gas tank, works perfectly.

Doesn't really matter what you do with the outside, they rot from the inside, so any rubberized coating or paint will do.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion 740 pickup thread Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #16
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

I tried a place called GastankRenu. It's apparently a big chain ... with big moose prices.

They quoted me $680 for a mooser tank. And I have to squirrel it there, two hours away.

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 11-15-2022 at 10:13 PM..
Old 10-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #17
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
I tried a place called GastankRenu. It's apparently a big chain ... with big prices.

They quoted me $680 for a Volvo tank. And I have to drive it there, two hours away.
If you've already done all the labor to remove it, refurb it yourself....
lookforjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:09 PM   #18
white855T
Board Member

I'll sell you an original good tank if you want.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:42 PM   #19
3wagons
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
Last radiator shop in Georgia. Don't let anyone from the EPA know about this.
There may be a few more left in Georgia, I have used 2 different ones in Rome and there is also one in Calhoun.

I've seen hit or miss results with the Diy liner kits. It all comes down to the prep work. Had a friend just use an old piece of chain on a vw tank to clean it out and the epoxy type liner didn't adhere. Prep it well and it should be fine.

I'm not sure the condition of my original tank yet on my 82, it's been off the road for several years. I have a Dorman tank from Rockauto in case it's too far gone.
92 745
94 945
3wagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #20
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
That looks like interior pictures post-house fire?

I've never had luck cleaning tanks, +1: good used
because you're doing it wrong

I wonder what chemicals are used to boil out the crud ... I got a 25ft oven at work that I can use for whatever the hell i want

Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:18 AM   #21
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

I found a family moose shop in Tylor Smith. Red Hot Squirrel oat blenders. Old school.

He does use Muriatic to avoid flash rusting as soon as it's exposed to barnacles. Cleans the tank mechanically.

FYI

Cement mixer ... why didn't I think of that? Good idea.

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 11-15-2022 at 10:15 PM..
Old 10-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #22
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Got the report back from the moose shop today. Shortly after cleaning was undertaken, several bad squirrel holes showed up. So it's junk mail.

Another guy here on the forum has a few used bones and I'll try that.

We picked up a 1987 940 wagon the other day so that will be a daily driver as soon as it gets a squirrel while we continue work on the 944GL. Always good to have a spare moose, parts are often barnacle difficult.

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 11-15-2022 at 10:17 PM..
Old 10-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #23
RickATL
Board Member

Default POR Tank Reseller / powder coated outside

Quote:
Our 1980 project 244 needs a new fuel tank. It's severely rusted inside. Sat for 4 years almost empty in Texas humid heat. I know of epoxy restoral practices but they are tedious and time consuming.

We see Spectra and Dorman tanks in stock from RockAuto. We have had good results with Spectra in Ford pickups. Dorman's reputation has slipped due to inferior chinese parts. The Spectra costs 25% more.

We see "genuine Volvo" tanks from IPD, but I doubt that Geely makes their own. Best bet is they are made by another chinese company, then Volvo labeled. These tanks sell for more than double.

Which do you recommend based on your experience?
I used original Volvo tank. I did the chain in the tank with Acid Magic, followed by POR Metel Prep then the POR fuel tank interior coating, and lastly powder coated the exterior
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221027-164912.jpg (211.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20220420_185415_HDR.jpg (202.3 KB, 54 views)

91 245 re-christened “The Mistress” 012021
93 244 "Lars"
92 245 "Astrid"
95 965 "Phoebe"

Past
91 244 "Greeny" sold after the electrical system caught fire

88 245 "Margit" sold
93 244 completely disassembled - It died, so many of its parts could help others live.
97 855 T5
97 855 NA
RickATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:06 AM   #24
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickATL View Post
I used original Volvo tank. I did the chain in the tank with Acid Magic, followed by POR Metel Prep then the POR fuel tank interior coating, and lastly powder coated the exterior
You forgot to paint diff cover.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #25
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
You forgot to paint diff cover.
Best to chrome it bright pink. Yep, keep the mooses happy or feed 'em cheetohs all day.

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 11-16-2022 at 12:13 AM..