home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
OVERDRIVE
Board Member

Default Konis don't fit rear upper mount

Suspension attempt number 3, and I got the front all done but the single adjustable Konis I got don't fit onto the upper stud (240). The stud looks original and undamaged, the i.d. of the eyelet on the shock is too small by maybe 6 thousandths, I didn't have my calipers on me. I guess I'm going to have to find a drill bit that is only barely larger than the current size, has anyone else encountered this? I had TC's on before and everyone talks about how those eyelets are too big but never would have thought the opposite would happen.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #2
the_hairy_baboon
Board Member

It's also possible that the studs themselves are slightly out of spec. Would a few passes with a round file work? I assume both left and right don't fit? Could you give them a bit of a sandpapering? Also consider keeping the shocks inside where it's warm / hot water soak the heads right before slapping on.

Do the bottom bolts fit through the top or bottom of the shocks?
the_hairy_baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #3
OVERDRIVE
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hairy_baboon View Post
It's also possible that the studs themselves are slightly out of spec. Would a few passes with a round file work? I assume both left and right don't fit? Could you give them a bit of a sandpapering? Also consider keeping the shocks inside where it's warm / hot water soak the heads right before slapping on.

Do the bottom bolts fit through the top or bottom of the shocks?
I tried a flat file to help see if the stud was straight, and it is straight with no burs or bends. I didn't check the lowers, I just threw in the towel and put it back together. I also chamfered the i.d of the eyelet a bit and that didn't do anything, It's machined out of spec. I've had a couple rear shocks on this car and this is the only time this has happened. I took a hammer to it too, it's not going on without some metal being removed from either the stud or shock.
OVERDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:23 PM   #4
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Don't mess it up. Koni will honor replacement of that defect in the shocks. On the flip side drilling it slightly larger shouldn't be to bad. Just need some good sharp bits.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP/ BNE coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15T. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. With wildly uncontrolled wastegate. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #5
nel621
Board Member

Don't drill it. Instead use a mini drum sander on a Dremel type tool. Better control of how much material you remove.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #6
OVERDRIVE
Board Member

Okay, I dug out my calipers. Both bottom and upper eyelets measure out to 12mm on the dot, or at least pretty close, a little over. But for the sake of the argument they're 12mm. A thread I found about rear shock specs specify that the upper eyelet should be 1/2", or 12.7mm, and bottom eyelet is 12mm. My suspicion that there was a manufacturing error seems confirmed by this, looks like there's a batch out there with both eyelets the same size. ~0.025" is what I'm going to have to take out, this isn't just a little clean up.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

I measured the upper and lower eyelet of the beat old Konis I have here. The upper was 12.8mm and the lower was 12mm once I removed some crud in the bottom eyelet.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
OVERDRIVE
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I measured the upper and lower eyelet of the beat old Konis I have here. The upper was 12.8mm and the lower was 12mm once I removed some crud in the bottom eyelet.
Cool, thank you. 1/2" drill bit should be appropriate. Too much metal to remove with flapper wheel or sanding disk. I'd return them but I just got these shocks directly from Koni and they are both wrong, I suspect the whole batch is bad, and I'd hate to wait a few weeks to get another defective pair. I'll report back after I get them installed.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:58 PM   #9
the_hairy_baboon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERDRIVE View Post
Cool, thank you. 1/2" drill bit should be appropriate. Too much metal to remove with flapper wheel or sanding disk. I'd return them but I just got these shocks directly from Koni and they are both wrong, I suspect the whole batch is bad, and I'd hate to wait a few weeks to get another defective pair. I'll report back after I get them installed.
I assume you'll yell to Koni and tell them of the problem / hassle? Maybe they'll at least apologize and even send you replacements / free swag.
the_hairy_baboon is offline   Reply With Quote