home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
whatshouldido
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Default Volvo 740 Floor Repair Center Support Bearing

so big dummie move on my part , I was moving around my 740 wagon with the front half of the drive shaft removed, and the input of the rear drive shaft spinning and it absolutely ate the whole portion of the center support bearing mounting spot ! You can see carpet from under the car

So now I have my 740 wagon running but can not mount a drive shaft to chassis of the car, will go grab some photos in a bit to better help paint the picture ,

It looks like the only way I can repair this is to cut a square chunk of floor board and weld in a new piece,

Could someone help point me to the best repair method ? Just Overlap the square and jbweld it ?

Looking at buying a MIG welder to do the repair, seems like gasless should be fine? Or should this be repaired by gas welding? Doing some research to find out, Since something that spins kinda fast will be mounted here I just want to make sure I do the repair correctly !

Thanks TB , and dont be a dummy like me! Disconnect the whole drive shaft before moving your car!

Cheers!
__________________
---1991 volvo 745 turbo wagon
**m47 swap incoming !

--1977 244 360k+ miles all original
** drive till wheels fall off
whatshouldido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
Khrrck
Professional Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default

Unless you plan to do a lot of welding in the future (and spend a fair amount of time practicing before fixing your car) I would take it in to a shop to have them weld in the patch.
__________________
'87 240 budget wagon. Sadly departed.
'88 240 eggshell wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
2 old for this
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

Your post reminded me of a recall on 740 with a ZF trans. The front driveshaft to the transmission bolts got loose and fell out. Sometimes the shaft would start spinning off center and hit the shifter and rip it out. Only saw one.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #4
tintintin
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshouldido View Post
...the input of the rear drive shaft spinning and it absolutely ate the whole portion of the center support bearing mounting spot !
Must have made a hell of a racket! You didn't hear it?
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
Khrrck
Professional Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
Must have made a hell of a racket! You didn't hear it?
It sounds like they were pushing the car around with another vehicle, so may have had some noise coverage or insulation.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
whatshouldido
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrrck View Post
It sounds like they were pushing the car around with another vehicle, so may have had some noise coverage or insulation.
100% this , heard it when we where almost done and said to myself well its probably not that big of a deal

The local shop will probably weld it up pretty cheap if i bring them all the chunks ready to go , looking for a MIG welder on facebook to grab, this isnt the first time something needed welded up, but the fact its more structural is concerning to me !

Cheers
Everyone
whatshouldido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #7
whatshouldido
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 old for this View Post
Your post reminded me of a recall on 740 with a ZF trans. The front driveshaft to the transmission bolts got loose and fell out. Sometimes the shaft would start spinning off center and hit the shifter and rip it out. Only saw one.
that sounds terrifying , will be throwing some loctight on the threads for sure on reinstall!
whatshouldido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #8
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshouldido View Post
that sounds terrifying , will be throwing some loctight on the threads for sure on reinstall!
You don't need to do that. Those are locking nuts on drive shaft bolts.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #9
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshouldido View Post
100% this , heard it when we where almost done and said to myself well its probably not that big of a deal

The local shop will probably weld it up pretty cheap if i bring them all the chunks ready to go , looking for a MIG welder on facebook to grab, this isnt the first time something needed welded up, but the fact its more structural is concerning to me !

Cheers
Everyone
You can buy a new titanium 125 welder which does flux core and works on standard 120v plug. Harbor freight sometimes does coupons. Last one was at the end of July so there might be a coupon soon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/easy-f...EaAoL4EALw_wcB
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:31 PM   #10
whatshouldido
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
You can buy a new titanium 125 welder which does flux core and works on standard 120v plug. Harbor freight sometimes does coupons. Last one was at the end of July so there might be a coupon soon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/easy-f...EaAoL4EALw_wcB
Per your recommendation I found this!

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-90...ig-welder.html

Lil smaller even slightly smaller bit cheaper, I like all the youtube videos and what not

Since it can do both, and am curious 1/8th thick steel is its max but I think that is plenty for a 740 body, but I do want to cut a bit and measure!

I think getting the dang thing is the best solution in the end!
whatshouldido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #11
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshouldido View Post
Per your recommendation I found this!

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-90...ig-welder.html

Lil smaller even slightly smaller bit cheaper, I like all the youtube videos and what not

Since it can do both, and am curious 1/8th thick steel is its max but I think that is plenty for a 740 body, but I do want to cut a bit and measure!

I think getting the dang thing is the best solution in the end!
It can do up to 3/16. Gas option is nice. You can always upgrade later.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.