home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #1
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default titanium intake/exhaust manifold stud kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11507715751...EAAOSwUblfUB22

anybody on here used these titanium INTAKE / EXHAUST manifold studs...?
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
Khrrck
Professional Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default

Why do you want titanium? It's stronger per weight, yes - but since they aren't any larger than the stock steel, they'll be weaker. And the price is outrageous!
__________________
'87 240 budget wagon. Sadly departed.
'88 240 eggshell wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:31 PM   #3
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Pooping before driving will save more weight
__________________
85 245 | 82 242| 75 245| 69 145 |66 122| 67 220




Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:32 PM   #4
Dan
Fought Covid and won
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Superior, Montana
Default

Doing a little googling and ran across this. Dissimilar metals such as a titanium exhaust manifold bolt and the softer aluminum head do not work well together, especially when exposed to extreme heat, cold or road debris like salt. A chemical reaction takes place which essentially welds the two components together
Combine these two risks, and the situation can become extremely difficult when a gasket is being replaced and the titanium bolts on the exhaust manifold break due to their loss of strength and inability to back out of the threads in the aluminum head.>
__________________
1985 Chevy TPI V8 740.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #5
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrrck View Post
Why do you want titanium? It's stronger per weight, yes - but since they aren't any larger than the stock steel, they'll be weaker. And the price is outrageous!
LOL not going to buy these. Just curious why he would make them
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #6
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Doing a little googling and ran across this. Dissimilar metals such as a titanium exhaust manifold bolt and the softer aluminum head do not work well together, especially when exposed to extreme heat, cold or road debris like salt. A chemical reaction takes place which essentially welds the two components together
Combine these two risks, and the situation can become extremely difficult when a gasket is being replaced and the titanium bolts on the exhaust manifold break due to their loss of strength and inability to back out of the threads in the aluminum head.>
muy interesante
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #7
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Pooping before driving will save more weight
are we talking Elvis weight savings
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #8
Dan
Fought Covid and won
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Superior, Montana
Default

Found this on a 911 forum
"We have made a batch of Grade 5 Titanium studs and some matching nuts.

These have about the same strength as a Grade 10.9 bolt and they will be difficult to break.

They have a 'dog point' on one end so they can be gently tightened into the head and then held in place with Loctite 266 which is a High Temperature thread locker.(this will be supplied with stud kits)

The opposite end of the stud is prepared with a 4mm AF socket head to allow tightening.

The threadlocker will also electrically insulate the threads and prevent bi-metallic corrosion."
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:54 PM   #9
Khrrck
Professional Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
LOL not going to buy these. Just curious why he would make them
Because they can make money.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:07 PM   #10
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Everyone knows titanium bolts are the key to finding her g spot
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.