home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #151
cosbySweater
Board Member

Also in actual car news went on a camping trip with the lady for Valentine's day, ended up getting a spot at limekiln about 25 miles south of big sur. Drove all the way down to Cambria to go rock hunting at moonstone beach. Amazingly with the ac on the whole way and on those long hills and windy road the car got 28mpg! I love this thing and it is damn near perfect. Just need to start doing some minor cleaning and detail work to get the outside looking good! There are a few minor suspension changes I want to do but that will be a little further down the road.

1995 Porsche 993
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #152
wisturbo
Jackstand lifestyle

Parked on rock to level 'er out. This is a great build thread!
Old 02-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #153
cosbySweater
Board Member

installed the jared speaker grills, very nice pieces, highly recommend, the install instructions are dead on as well

found a n/a 606 at the yard on half off day so i pulled the cylinder head, injectors, cam carrier, valve cover and injector cover. snapped off my stahl wille m10 xzn socket on the last bolt so i had to run to autozone and get a toyota head bolt socket and hammer it in there to get the last bolt out.

so now ive mentioned this on another build thread and in pms to other potential 606 project members about the valve seat recession issue, there is a problem with this and there is very little data about it but here is cylinder head number 4 that has had this issue and its always on number 6. so if you have a n/a 606 i highly recommend pulling the head and inspecting it because yea this happens. this engine looked very well taken care of and the car was in a pretty nasty accident. regardless even if you pull the heads and dont really want to deal with the seat issue the prechambers are worth quite a bit because they are pretty much nla and the dealers that doi still have them want about 250-300 a piece for them.

cylinder 5

as you can see the valve protrudes past the face of the head

cylinder 6

i know this thread is basically turned into a how to on 606 cobbling but i enjoy it and i hope it helps any other interested in this swap
Old 02-21-2022, 04:21 PM   #154
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

I should've grabbed that NA head. Maybe I will on thursday if it's still there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast740fromSC
I am living proof that fetal alcohol syndrome is not that bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #155
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
I should've grabbed that NA head. Maybe I will on thursday if it's still there
get one of these and a big breaker bar

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-T...17&sr=1-3&th=1

also the upper tensioner/spring carrier stud needs to be extracted to get the cams out, its internally threaded m6x1.0 i basically take the plastic bracket off and thread a valve cover bolt in and just stack wrenches between the bolt and the head and tighten the bolt and it should pull out unless its super rusty. otherwise if it doesnt budge youre gonna have to pull the rad and core support out and slide hammer it out so if it doesnt feel like its moving dont go crazy with it. the lower stud you have to pull is recessed in the head under the upper water neck. that one is pretty hard to get out at the junk yard so for that one i usually just break the chain guide off once the other stud is out. also 9mm 12point socket for the cams. you also have to take the oil filter housing off because its a water cooled oil cooler so thats not very fun. you have to pull the starter. depending on the year they use e torx for the fuel filter housing and a ton of torx bolts scattered throughout like the cam gear. and there are allen bolts securing the head to the front cover that can kinda get covered in oil and sludge and not be visable.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #156
cosbySweater
Board Member

https://youtube.com/shorts/M9KREWeDY_Y?feature=share

That's a wrap on this one going to put it in the corner of the shop for a rainy day. Building the intake for it now. Just gonna do a basic non intercooled setup to store it
Old 03-06-2022, 12:13 AM   #157
cosbySweater
Board Member

Whelp thing got out of control fast on my end. Nothing bad, I just found a car that I've always wanted for a good price. It's a 1992 Gmc typhoon, it's been sitting in a garage since 2001. It's been a California car it's whole life. Unfortunately these early 90s gmcs had terrible paint on the body and like no paint on the chassis. Body is perfectly straight which is nice and just has surface rust underneath. Ended up changing the oil and filter. Found it had a dead fuel pump so I swapped in a new fuel pump and drained the fuel. Threw some 101 octane in it and flushed out the rails. Fired it up and drove it 20 miles home! Ran great. Suprisingly peppy.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:58 PM   #158
cosbySweater
Board Member

updated my sig incase anyone here wants to follow the typhoon rebuild! back to volvo programming for now
Old 03-15-2022, 11:10 PM   #159
Coupid
Board Member

Those are so sweet! Congrats
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:47 AM   #160
cosbySweater
Board Member