• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chrome Valve Cover Nuts

mrnabisco

Anybody ever source out chrome valve cover nuts?

I'm putting a freshly ported/polished head on my NA B230 and thought I'd give it just a touch of bling...

they're just little 10mm acorn nuts, iirc, and you can find them at just about any hardware store.

6mm threads, use a 10mm socket. They'll be called M6 acorn nuts. Use washers with them. I've been using stainless steel ones for years, they really bling up the valve cover. A GOOD hardware store should have them (ie, not home depot, although maybe).

6mm threads, use a 10mm socket. They'll be called M6 acorn nuts. Use washers with them. I've been using stainless steel ones for years, they really bling up the valve cover. A GOOD hardware store should have them (ie, not home depot, although maybe).

thanks for the clarification, i couldn't remember.

this is how they look on my motor

IMG_0343.jpg

The OEM Volvo cam cover nuts aren't actually chrome. If you want show chrome nuts, try a Japanese/ Custom Motorcycle Shop. Or maybe even an online motorcycle supplier like JP Cycles. Jap bikes have lots of nut in this same size I'm sure.. And there are chrome acorn nut dress up kits for them, and most good shops have a drawer full of individually available ones too.

Polished SS nuts will last & look good much longer BTW

Chrome nuts as a performance thread... Yeah, all show no go but I figured I'd get a better response here then on the maintenance thread.

Thanks for the info. I like the SS look.

I've been buying 14 of the OEM Volvo nuts once every year or so. 10 for cam Cover, 4 for license plate.

AAMOF I have a bag of them here on my computer desk...They come in a 10 pack... p/n 968458 Qty 10.

I've been buying 14 of the OEM Volvo nuts once every year or so. 10 for cam Cover, 4 for license plate.

AAMOF I have a bag of them here on my computer desk...They come in a 10 pack... p/n 968458 Qty 10.
Honestly, it scares me how much money you must have tied up in your car.

license nuts

Be sure to use washers if you use oe license nuts as the threads are a little shorter & the acorn nut will jam on the stud before tightening the cover. Ask how I know that.

Be sure to use washers if you use oe license nuts as the threads are a little shorter & the acorn nut will jam on the stud before tightening the cover. Ask how I know that.
I've never had to use washers with OEM Volvo cam cover nuts. They also fit the License Plate studs as Redwood Chair stated. Why I use them. They stay shiny for a year or two.

And stainless stays shiny forever....

Washers are a good idea but not always required, you see a lot of older 240's where the acorn tops have popped off because someone didn't use washers, or cranked them down too tight squishing the gasket more than necessary.

Back