• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 16v cam gears the same as some b230f round tooth gears?

They are the same exactly except for the 8v round gears are not quite as deep. The 8v ones are the same width as the 16v belt. The 16v gears are a little bit wider. You probably could use 8v round gear at the aux shaft location for your 16v.

They are NOT the same actually. The 16v have a different offset than the 8v gears so they will stick further out from the head I believe. One of them is flat on the backside, one has an offset.

Yeah I didn't say they where exactly the same, yeah one of the 8v gears is offset a little. You know volvo has a spacer you can put behind the gear to set it out a bit. They used to do that and both gears where the same. The main difference between the 16v and 8v round tooth gears is the 16v ones are deeper or wider belt area as the 16v belt is 24mm and the 8v belt is 21mm or so wide.

As far as 16v gears go the only volvo with same gears on head and aux shaft is the boat b230 with 16v head. All the car 16v's are different no aux shaft gear.

Just dig back thru my archives, you're correct Simon. The 8v has 2 variants. I found that detail after trying one of the flat backed ones on the cam, found it needed 2 washers behind it to get the belt almost where it should be on the gear. Swapped to the offset one, no washer needed.

Also of note, the 16v crank gear is the same width as the 8v cam gear.

Back