• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Any Experience With Frost Fighter Stick-on Window Defrost Kits?

Jeff's the seller, right? Did you alert him of this well-written description? Methinks there's a lot of tweaking potential, product development, if he has a mind to. In particular, I'd love to know if he's thought of a more translucent (or even transparent) and considerably less sticky release layer. That seemingly subtle change could make all the difference in the world.

Sometimes, a manufacturer has gotten it down to a science, lots of trial and error, and there are specific reasons they do things a certain way. But I'm not getting the sense that this product has undergone that level of evolution.

Kudos to you for trying it, and reporting your findings!

Jeff's the seller, right? Did you alert him of this well-written description? Methinks there's a lot of tweaking potential, product development, if he has a mind to. In particular, I'd love to know if he's thought of a more translucent (or even transparent) and considerably less sticky release layer. That seemingly subtle change could make all the difference in the world.

Sometimes, a manufacturer has gotten it down to a science, lots of trial and error, and there are specific reasons they do things a certain way. But I'm not getting the sense that this product has undergone that level of evolution.

Kudos to you for trying it, and reporting your findings!

Thanks. Jeff is the product engineer at frostfighters who has been of great help/support to me. I sent him a link to this thread as he wanted to know how it turned out. So perhaps he will see this and accept my thanks again.

Again, I want to make it clear that I believe that much of my difficulty was likely due to my own decision to try and follow the original grid lines in the glass rather than doing a standard install. Goes to show, as a buddy of mine told me yesterday, "don't give an engineered product to an engineer!" I must plead guilty.

I have included some photos so that folks can see for themselves the proliferation of lines in my rear window despite my best efforts. They are minimized but that came at a high cost in difficulty. Even with the greater proliferation of lines that would result from a standard install in these cars, I think I would strongly urge the standard install approach and suggest that while, at first, the proliferation of lines might seem troubling - in actual practice, it might not be an issue at all. The new grid lines are maybe 1/16" wide and the lines in the glass as perhaps thinner. Humans adapt remarkably well - even to things that seem problematic at first.

That said, there is room for improvement - if only from the installation perspective. Even it the release paper were as translucent as typical kitchen waxed paper, it would have been easier for me to see what was going on. I have no suggestion as to how the grid wires could be more flexible to follow curved lines as I discovered but if not, I suggest just living with straight lines and accept the results. That said, it is difficult to orient the lines so they are plumb and parallel to the window edge unless you are able to follow a line on the window's exterior that you have placed carefully and align the release paper's edge (which you actually CAN SEE) with that line. In a standard install where there are multiple sheets of wires, the following sheets can be aligned with the bottom edge of the higher sheet. And I am sure this is what the maker intends - just NOT what I did.

It is still too soon to say if the product (as I have installed it) will accomplish its main purpose - defrosting/defogging the rear window.

Cheers

The weather has now turned lousy enough in the PNW for me to have had a few opportunities to actually test how this defroster replacement works. And I am pleased to say that it does, in fact, work. I have not tried it against snow/ice yet thankfully. But against cold air and mist it does do the trick. So despite the difficulties I had with the install (much of my own creation, as usual), I can recommend this. FYI

Back