• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeJr. 65 122s project

I decided to use a OD switch on the dash rather than putting it on the column. I think this switch is awesome. I'm going to put it where the lighter goes and add an indicator light in the proper spot.

163831262.jpg

163831260.jpg

Re the wheel cylinders, if you can find a real craftsman in your city/locality, do so, and get them re sleeved and kitted in stainless steel or brass - then they will last forever, or close enough to it. I have this on all of my VW beetle wheel cylinders, but it's a dying art and only one place left in Auckland that does it AFAIK. Way better than brand new steel ones IMO. 2c delivered :-)

Re the wheel cylinders, if you can find a real craftsman in your city/locality, do so, and get them re sleeved and kitted in stainless steel or brass - then they will last forever, or close enough to it. I have this on all of my VW beetle wheel cylinders, but it's a dying art and only one place left in Auckland that does it AFAIK. Way better than brand new steel ones IMO. 2c delivered :-)
Hmm that's good to know. I'll have to do a little research and see if I can find someone local that does it.

Some thoughts, hope they're useful...

--I've always been able to find OEM quality e.g. Wagner etc, rear wheel cylinders at regular old parts stores like NAPA (they need to look in the old catalogues) for prices that make sleeving second choice for me. And since I've changed to DOT 5 silicon hydrophobic brake fluid, corrosion has becomes a thing of the past.

--Regarding your BW35-to-M41 conversion, I trust you are aware that both the 3-piece plastic steering column shroud AND the hole in the dashboard behind it for the steering column and shifter linkage to pass through are larger in automagic cars. Pulling the shift linkage and changing to the common slimmer 1-piece non-auto shroud setup will leave an unsightly circular opening in the dash behind it...
Thought about that?

--Regarding your BW35-to-M41 conversion, I trust you are aware that both the 3-piece plastic steering column shroud AND the hole in the dashboard behind it for the steering column and shifter linkage to pass through are larger in automagic cars. Pulling the shift linkage and changing to the common slimmer 1-piece non-auto shroud setup will leave an unsightly circular opening in the dash behind it...
Thought about that?
Yeah I heard that, but I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. So I would have to switch dashes or weld up the hole?

I just took a gander at the steering column and now I see what you mean. I might just mod the current column cover, and down the road I'll weld up the dash hole or find a different dash.

Here's a thought...

Starting in '69, for the last series of Amazons sold in Europe, UK, Canada, etc. (but not in USA), the ignition switch was relocated to the right side of the steering column, with a small wedge cutout for key access. This necessitated a wider shroud, which happens to cover the automagic dashboard hole quite nicely. Using it will require a simple relocated drilling of 1 of the 3 plastic shroud mounting holes. No welding, no dash removal.

Larger/later one shows hole for OD switch, as it came off a '69 Canadian build with OD...
image_zpsogoqvmoj.jpeg

image_zpsnhtu1vst.jpeg

image_zpsblbu9hmp.jpeg

image_zpshed26mwi.jpeg

Oops...
image_zps71619cf5.jpg

If you're OK with sending me what it's worth to you (after you receive it is fine) let me know where to send it...
If not, you've got options.

BTW I also have the upper column section that came out of the same car; (pretty much) complete with excellent working ignition switch lock cylinder and key. Does not need/use the usual armored-cable coil and integral switch. Will require later style (crooked shaft) steering box, and will take some dedication to install.

If you're OK with sending me what it's worth to you (after you receive it is fine) let me know where to send it...
If not, you've got options.

BTW I also have the upper column section that came out of the same car; (pretty much) complete with excellent working ignition switch lock cylinder and key. Does not need/use the usual armored-cable coil and integral switch. Will require later style (crooked shaft) steering box, and will take some dedication to install.

This is the Canadian car?

That might just work. Looks like I'd still have a hole where the ignition cylinder goes. I think if I have that and the regular one I could cobble something together that would cover that hole. Ignition switch on the column would be cool, but seems like a lot of work, and I kind of like it in the dash.

If I could get both covers in those pictures I know I could make something.

"This is the Canadian car?"
If I understand you correctly, Yup.
image_zps8bcea719.jpg

image_zps71287ed7.jpg

Body has been recycled into BBQ grills or guard rails by now, but it's parts (B20B, M41/J-OD, Recaro seat recliners, column OD switch, radiator, alternator, MC with integral booster, 4 piston front calipers, late steering wheel and box, under dash pad, rear pop-out window seals (new!), rear 3-point belts, and period correct wooden shift knob all live on in ~ a dozen different cars.

@MikeJr., to me it would be a mistake to use 2 excellent condition shrouds and end up with something "cobbled together".
Since it's no longer a question of originality, much better to think about how to get some use out of the notch of the later version that will end up looking good and be useful.
You could mount an appropriate bracket exactly where the ignition switch would mount and have an easy-to-use or well-hidden switch there...fogs, intermittant wiper, speaker fader, alarm, siren, ejection seat...

Otherwise why not just cobble together what you'll settle for with the original 3 piece shroud, which does cover the hole?

The cobbling together would be done in a professional way. I work in the auto body industry and have done several types of plastic repair on lots of different kinds of plastic using high end materials. It wouldn't be your run of the mill cobbling. I'd make it look like it came from the factory when it's done. I might still do this with the AT column cover, but I kind of wanted to keep that intact and sell it with the transmission, which I plan to do.

Got it, my confusion was with the term cobble together:
"To make something or put something together hastily or carelessly..." in my dictionary.

Unless there is a segment of the used Amazon parts market I'm unaware of, I believe your 3 piece auto shroud with indicator, etc, if perfect, is worth slightly more than the transmission if perfect.

Got it, my confusion was with the term cobble together:
"To make something or put something together hastily or carelessly..." in my dictionary.

Unless there is a segment of the used Amazon parts market I'm unaware of, I believe your 3 piece auto shroud with indicator, etc, if perfect, is worth slightly more than the transmission if perfect.

That's good news cause it is perfect.

Back