• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

89 240 wiper issue, still stumped

nel621

My 88 240 has the "wipers park in the middle of windshield" issue. I've looked at Cleanflame trap article but still confused. With cover off I noticed that the contacts don't stop where there is a depression in the gear. I cleaned all of the contacts but it still stopped center of windshield. Should the brass contact piece stop in this low spot? Can the plastic disc be rotated so that it lines up ( without doing any damage of course).
This happened about a week ago. I haven't had much time to do more testing. What I did to get the wipers out of my view was start the car and wipers and when they appeared "parked" I disconnected from the plug. Yesterday I needed to use the car and it was raining. I plugged everything in an got one mid swipe before the fuse blew. Not sure what is going on with that now.
The motor is the all black one, not the one with the green "band".
Any help much appreciated.

I recently dealt with this too.

Should the brass contact piece stop in this low spot? Can the plastic disc be rotated so that it lines up ( without doing any damage of course).

iirc, where the dip is on the wheel is where the electric motor brake is applied and the wipers should stop. When removing the contacts and plug, I was able to pry the gear assembly up with a screwdriver and re-place it correctly where the wipers should be in their park position in the dip.

My problem wasn't this, though, it was actually inside the car. The bolt which bolts the drive arm to the back side of the mentioned gear loosened and stripped out the arm. This caused the parking position to change occasionally. I had my friend weld the hole closed and I drilled and filed a new slot in the arm by hand. No problems with the wipers not parking correctly in months now.

I plugged everything in an got one mid swipe before the fuse blew.
This still happens to me. I think one winding in my motor is shorted. When running the wipers, I can always see the lights in my car flicker just a wee bit, and occasionally the fuse will blow. I think I need a new motor for this. :-(

The bum part about the fuse now blowing is that the headlights are on the same fuse. Need to revisit this, maybe tomorrow.

Back