• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C 2001 S40 - Why are these fuses grouped together?

alschnertz

Enough already!
I've been tracing a parasitic overnight drain today.
It seems to be the power door lock circuit.

This is the underhood fuse box (the photo is not mine, but similar).
maxresdefault.jpg

Just curious if anyone knows why the door lock, radio and interior lights are clustered together in that yellow holder?
In other words, you have to pull the whole yellow piece (with the 3 fuses) out to access each individual fuse.
It's not a problem, I'm just wondering why it is constructed that way.

Thanks

Last edited:
After thinking about it, I'll take a stab at answering my own question.

"Hey dummy. Those are the unswitched circuits."

Also, also. too.....

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manuals/OwnersManual/om_id/756

8* ECC, courtesy lights, ignition lock, Siren, Combined instrument panel 10
9* Central locking, alarm 20
10* Audio 15

*To be able to remove these fuses, you must FIRST PULL UP the yellow fuseholder (transport fuse) by hand and then use the special fuse tool to remove the fuse. See page 93.

NOTE: Before you pull up the transport fuse holder, make sure that you know the radio code, since this code will be erased from the radio when pulling up the fuseholder!

Those were the "transport fuses" not inserted fully until the pre-delivery inspection at the dealer to reduce drain on the battery.

The "sport" models (black headlight reflectors, extra body mouldings, etc.) had rubber spacers on the front struts inside the dust boots that many techs forgot to remove, resulting in customers driving the car with 1-2" of suspension travel in the front for tens or hundreds of thousands of miles.

I guess the "transport fuses" answer makes some sense.
Seems like it would be just as easy to push the three individual fuses in.

The "sport" models (black headlight reflectors, extra body mouldings, etc.) had rubber spacers on the front struts inside the dust boots that many techs forgot to remove, resulting in customers driving the car with 1-2" of suspension travel in the front for tens or hundreds of thousands of miles.

:lol::-(

Back