• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 sunroof woes

soclosenotnear

Needless to say, what a frustrating problem to have. My 1994 945 has started leaking through the sunroof. My driver's side front and rear floor boards have gotten soaking wet. The car was pointing nose down in the driveway during the last rain. I've had all the doors open for days and hitting it with towels but it's still wet as could be.

Well, we have more rain coming so I decided to try and figure it out. I checked all the drains and the only one somewhat questionable is the front driver's side drain. I am getting pretty good flow through it when I pour water down, but it just isn't quite as smooth as the other drains. I ran weed eater line down it and couldn't get the line out the other side, but it did go to the bottom of the car I think. I also ran compressed air through at low psi.

Other things to note: I recently removed a wind deflector/sun shade thing the previous owner installed. At this time I notice my sunroof is missing the small factory flapper thing(and associated arms and bits) that pops up when sunroof goes back. Also, the front of the sunroof sits about 1/4" lower than flush, but I understand the sunroof isn't meant to seal anyways?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Once you cleaned the drains did you notice the flow of water in the questionable one improved?

9 times out of 10 it's a clogged drain, the water on the floor in that quantity is pretty typical.

The leak is most likely from the square plastic plug in the area of the hood release and not from the sunroof.
Some pics here: https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=341184

I forgot to mention I checked that area and it's dry. I've witnessed it leaking at sunroof area. Also wet driver's seat and light splashes even in center console area.

Once you cleaned the drains did you notice the flow of water in the questionable one improved?

9 times out of 10 it's a clogged drain, the water on the floor in that quantity is pretty typical.

I think so. Definitely improved but not sure I would call it clear.

We had a light rain today. It was dry afterwards. But I turned the car around in the driveway so it's slightly rear down. So that doesn't prove much.

Its funny how this topic just came up. Yesterday i was putting down some sound deadening tiles on the driver side of my 740 and the old carpet was wet.Now i know where to check.:)

Check your drains as well. Also wet as in water or wet as in coolant which typically indicates a problem with your heater core.

I forgot to mention I checked that area and it's dry. I've witnessed it leaking at sunroof area. Also wet driver's seat and light splashes even in center console area.

I think so. Definitely improved but not sure I would call it clear.

We had a light rain today. It was dry afterwards. But I turned the car around in the driveway so it's slightly rear down. So that doesn't prove much.

Ya it's definitely a "once bitten twice shy" kinda deal - makes such a damn mess.

Give the drains another run with the trimmer line and check before and after - pour water down the side rails on each side, they should drain pretty liberally right around the front wheel (behind it if I recall?).

Back