• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is Torsen type LSD good for occasional street drift?

Greg Ervin ran a modified G80 in his street/drag/Autocross 740 for several years without any problems. It would lock at any speed and stay locked as long as we stayed on the throttle. It unlocked when we let off. It never did anything unexpected. It was cheap and effective.

I?m starting to think you live in a more perfect parallel universe.

I’m starting to think you live in a more perfect parallel universe.

Key words, "was cheap and effective". It wore out like all clutch type units do. At $125 for a G80 they are certainly cheap. The entire axle swap on a 7-9 takes about 1.5 hours if you know what to do start to finish. We're west coast. Not a speck of rust on the parts or fasteners. The first one that went in Greg's car was installed in my shop when he stopped by after work. With two of us working on it the swap it actually took 45 minutes.

The last season we ran it the car became a one wheel drive tire smoker. He has another one in there now with a 4.10 gear set. The first modified G80 lasted 4 seasons of severe use putting power down with slicks at the drag strip and Autocross slicks at the Autocross events and 2 hill climbs. He also street drove the car during most of that time and he isn't easy on his equipment. It worked great until it didn't work at all. The demise in lock up was quick once it started to slip. I think once they start slipping under that kind of use the clutches burn up quickly. That was not your average 740 performance wise. I think it went through 6 AW-71s before Greg finally did Kenny's accumulator mod. That trans is still in it. You can see a bit of the car's history here. I just watched the 2 Autocross videos Greg posted to the thread. We certainly didn't baby his car. Nobody wanted to talk to us that day. We were beating $100,000 Porsches and C Prepared Camaros with Greg's sub $5,000 740 Volvo build. :-P

As I said above, I wouldn't pick a G80 for an actual drift car. That kind of driving is severe abuse on the drive train.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=81046&highlight=Project+Volvo&page=2

Last edited:
Hi!

Who tried this setup for own RWD volvo?

Worth buying one?

Like other says, it depends. In a pro-rally prepared 240 NA with 4spd and stock rear axle, a torsen can be destroyed fairly easily if you use it too hard where you have real traction (dry pavement). In the snow or loose dirt, it can survive 350 bhp + turbo 242 Group A power almost forever. The problem was with the amount of work they had to do on dry pavement hard cornering.

There have been a few rally cars built local to Rochester that have used them. It makes sense, because the company that developed the tooling for them and does the dial-in for manufacturers was Gleason Works, a local Rochester company.

Like anything, YMMV.

Back