• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Has anyone done an eBrick yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the hot junkyard style ticket to still get your hands on a Chevy Bolt battery pack? Seems like they're easier to fit into a 'legacy' type car. Designed from scratch EV's seem to have that whole skateboard thing going, not an easy retrofit, unless you just sort of perch some random car body on top and take it on a ride.

Yes but there's plenty of work left to do as they haven't made all the relevant correlations to frequency and windage yet. I wont cant share them at this point as they are my thesis. My design also does not submerge the entire machine in coolant but rather isolating it to only the gap
attachment.php

Heres a photo of on e of my stators cooled to -29 celcius cryogenically. This was a simple table top test with compressed butane. You could use C02 or nitrous for the same reactions.​

Yes but there's plenty of work left to do as they haven't made all the relevant correlations to frequency and windage yet. I wont cant share them at this point as they are my thesis. My design also does not submerge the entire machine in coolant but rather isolating it to only the gap
attachment.php

Heres a photo of on e of my stators cooled to -29 celcius.

DHX only cools the outer coils/gaps. They don't spray cool the inner rotor.

Being able to change the # of poles is really neat, especially if you can reduce back EMF at higher speeds.

ISCAD yes I think Tesla will end up there. Dr Gerling had to sever ties with me because I work for benz so that points to him working with Tesla.

attachment.php

a11505807-176-NewFile11.png

I've spent alot of time at the scope (years) examining the winds, motors, and inverters for power factor improvement better efficiency and harmonic attenuation.​

attachment.php

One of my high current winds for high speed planes. It is a 1 turn parallel wye and 2 turn
parallel delta hybrid wound open ended for a cascaded inverter. This 46 mm motor stator and wind can easily support well over 10Kw peaks . Its just a lil baby at that.​

Last edited:
Nice...Dual stack? stators or complete machines in tandem? In tandem u may be able to tie a wye and delta motor in series as long as the wye coils are left open ended. This allows for harmonic mitigation and one inverter for two machines. The windings and current capabilities would need to be matched in the machines at a winding ratio of the square root of 3. and sqrrt3/2 if you start paralleling coils. U can also tie two wyes together serially as long as one is wound with open ended coils but there will be no harmonic attenuation with that just two wye motors running off one inverter. I will send you some papers if you are building the machines. U see the ATE design inspired lamination here in the photo. No one has this. Its was sent direct from my colleague who holds several patents in motor and fuel cell design and well as aircraft instrumentation. We are not eye to eye about some other issues currently. However this was a gift from him.
attachment.php

Regards
Hubert

These are twin complete rotor/stators that share a common shaft. Yes, it does require dual inverters, but by running them this way, you have both failsafe, and split load. The power electronics are always the weak link. Power modules are sensitive, and while the technology for handling high currents and tune-able power delivery is getting better, they still hold the limiting factor for the most part.

All of our motors are synchronous 3 phase AC, with both series wound stators, and parallel wound stators. Rotors are all permanent magnet, with either fully encased, or laminated construction. We have done some potted water cooled (didnt like the hot spotting and inconsistencies of deliverable power), oil flooded, dry sump liquid cooled, and liquid cooled with internal oil>liquid heat exchanger setups.

a11879819-31-20160413_013641.png

Here's one high current motor I wound for an 1/8th scale unlimited hydroplane where I in increased the copper fill >134% Dual 13 ga wires for UVW terminals. The preece value for this motor is upwards of 600 amperes!

Here are the motor parameters if you like to look at it in some ecal applet

Rm .oo5 ohms
Kv 824
Io 3.27 amps @22.5 volts including radial fan load.
Weight 448.8 grams
Here it is on 12s in the FE boat cal.

ABC 1818 calculated as most efficient prop in its database for performance hydro @ 12s lipo 9800 mah

33,940 rpm
153 amps
Pin 6.394 kilowatts
Pout 6.125 kilowatts
Run time 3.85 minutes
Est speed 90.12 mph or 145.03408 km/h
Eff. 95.80 %

This is the estimated Lap speed for the 48 inch boat and here the torque and efficiency plot . You can see that the efficiency doesn't start to drop of until around 268 amperes... about 13Kw at this voltage. The motor is only about 40 x 30 mm!
What would require more torque from its motor than a speed boat. Very little.
plot2.jpg

Last edited:
With a hybrid wound motor fault tolerance is created as you actually have two complete motor winding sets on one stator. No matter if anything fails the efficiency is lost in the pseudo limp mode. Plus the chance of faults is greatly reduced inherently by the cooler running motor and windings. As a result the higher efficiency of a cleaner sinus and cooler running mean more power. The winds reduce the overall machine losses by about half. Thats HUGE!!!!

im2018040430co_300dpi.jpg

Drive technology will move to high voltage igbt SiC sht.... If the manufacturers learn to design inverters like siemens there wont be an issue very long. The other issue is ev hobbyist arent very inept at what industry can offer, certainly there are VFDs that can handle any power requirement. They cost big money as do quality high C cells.
im2018040422co_300dpi.jpg

Siemens air propulsion motor above produced 1500 nm at a weight of 50 kg. The inverter weighed in at 900 grams :wtf: There are also split phase inverter designs that are extremely efficient. The last motor we haven't talked about is a synchronous reluctance machine. They make more noise but only use a steel rotors and a stator with copper coils to do work. Cheap and easy to build safely. They use a simple six step bang bang algorithm. ABB is heading work on the synchronous reluctance machine that place a small bit of pm material in the rotors teeth.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited:
For fault tolerance there is also concentrated fractionally slotted multi layer winds sinusoid ally interspersed (coils from different phases on the same teeth). Also you have poly phase motors ie. 5 phase with pentagonal winding topologies...........and more and more. The concentrated single tooth windings have advantage over harmonically damped phase overlapping distributive winds because of the shorter end turns and increased fill possibility. They are for this reason also easier and cheaper to manufacture. If I was going to build a motor that will kill the induction machine in power density it would definitely be a BLDC machine with the hybrid wind. Segmented neo magnets of this size will cost alot and be dangerous to construct a motor with without rigs or fixtures but there will be nothing stronger in an induction machine or pm unless its a YASA or flux switching motor another beast altogether that requires pm's in the stator arms in almost a halbach array. I have designed one in 50mm. Ill find those cad renditions. The controller for the flux switching machine is also another hurdle but I think a VFD using direct torque control can handle it as long as you take static measurements and upload the motors parameters into the controllers registry.

Last edited:
attachment.php

This is the general stator topology of the external rotor PMFS ( permanent magnet flux switching machine). The color represents the magnets in the teeth and they are set with each successive pairs of teeth same poles N/SS/N .... S/NN/S....N/SS/N... are facing each other then away from one another around itz circumference. The rotor is external so this could be a in wheel hub design. The real machine has no hammer heads on the stator. The laminate steel rotor would look like an inverted trigger wheel with the teeth on the id. versus the od.

a12650561-134-a11811121-64-Torque%2520speed%2520curve%2520of%2520ORPMFSM.png

Heres the torque profile of the IEEE Drs prototype flux switching machine
:oogle:

Last edited:
DHX only cools the outer coils/gaps. They don't spray cool the inner rotor.

Being able to change the # of poles is really neat, especially if you can reduce back EMF at higher speeds.
attachment.php

When I did this it was just the cryogenic reaction on the stator in a 5 second spray duration of C4H10. This is an external rotor machine. If I was to cool Ferro fluid with the reaction I would spray a finned reservoir. And of course it would be alot safer to spray C02 or NOS.

daa4f92f01_hr.png

The ferrofluids elegance is it need no pump. It work passively by currie effect. The cold fluid will by design displace the hottest fluid first in an endless loop. Itz quite cool rocket science literally. Please excuse the pun.

passive_cooling.png

The fluid would leave and return to this reservoir where the fluid has be routed directly into and out of the airgap. The stator can implement mechanically a WELC winding embedded liquid cooling system. I imagine it could make use of the cryogenic gas purge very effectively as well.

WELC_System..png

If you can implement these things into a motor design you will make even more power.

Regards
Hubert.

Last edited:
I recall that someone put a Nissan Leaf motor they got from a wrecked car into a Mercedes W115 in place of the original four cylinder and backed it up with a Ford three speed. Apparently adapter plates and kits for attaching them to standard manual gearboxes are becoming more common and may help mitigate the previously mentioned problem of limited RPM when using a drive shaft. The gearbox could also be shifted with a "clutch" switch that just let the motor freewheel. I tried to find the video series but it seems they were removed from youtube.

I think as more electric cars wind up in junkyards we will get a steady supply of motors for these swaps. Tesla might be hard though given that they have been known to buy up wrecked cars to squash a used parts market.

I recall that someone put a Nissan Leaf motor they got from a wrecked car into a Mercedes W115 in place of the original four cylinder and backed it up with a Ford three speed. Apparently adapter plates and kits for attaching them to standard manual gearboxes are becoming more common and may help mitigate the previously mentioned problem of limited RPM when using a drive shaft. The gearbox could also be shifted with a "clutch" switch that just let the motor freewheel. I tried to find the video series but it seems they were removed from youtube.

I think as more electric cars wind up in junkyards we will get a steady supply of motors for these swaps. Tesla might be hard though given that they have been known to buy up wrecked cars to squash a used parts market.

I wouldn't doubt they'd do something that greedy. The Mercedes ecars are equally outstanding nevertheless. Id rather have the Benz personally. They've been a great company to work for. That's real. I can personally say from the front line we put alot into it. Thats no bs its quality work and craftmanship that goes into what we and they do over in Germany.

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt they'd do something that greedy. The Mercedes ecars are equally outstanding nevertheless. Id rather have the Benz personally. They've been a great company to work for. That's real. I can personally say from the front line we put alot into it. Thats no bs its quality work and craftmanship that goes into what we and they do over in Germany.

I'd probably own a W114 or 115 if all the ones I've looked at weren't hiding terminal rust. I like the build quality and bombproof feel. Although without all the little gadgets in modern cars that distract me.

Man.... on the line the production techs use torque wrenches that set the appropriate torque on the wrench from a barcode scanner on the wrench pointed at the part in question and data logs the torque of every single bolt on the car this way. That's kept with the tech's name who did it on file for 25 years. The next bolt in sequence the wrench wont torque unless the preceding bolt is to spec. Now Benz will crush a car if a customer cancel and the car has some proprietary thing about it like Amazon's sprinter van color... :-P Bezos nevertheless we will produce the e-vehicles they brag about. Benz as a company will not sell anything that is not their spec to an outside individual. Since that color is not theirs but Amazons crap they wont sell it to you and it be called a Benz.
:gtfo:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back