• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to plug EGR pipe to exhaust manifold?

VolvoGuy123

Iron Man.
So I have a 1995 940 T (project) I'm working on (forever) and I picked up a new turbo exhaust manifold that does not have the original (EGR) port.

Does anyone have an easy solution to plug the pipe? Thread size? Special plug, etc?

Thanks for any advice or help with this matter! I appreciate it as always.

Take care!

So your plugging the EGR on the intake side? *Should* be able to leave it disconnected, closed is it's resting state as far as I can tell

I did not know that the block off plate was available. I have been trying to find someone that could make me one but ended up buying a 740 turbo intake manifold with the EGR port missing. Good to know if this manifold doesn't workout I can always switch back and purchase the plate.

Is it this easy to get rid of egr?

Sort of, but it doesn't make the valve not leak anymore. I never saw a lot of value in deleting EGRs in gas powered street cars, but when I do, I actually delete the valve and plug both ends. It's not worth only halfway "deleting" something if you're still susceptible to it's problems.

Last edited:
Well, for the short term I plugged the tube (manifold end) with a high temp silicone hose cap (5/8) works good. (I swapped my exhaust manifold with a modified (ported/T3) non-egr version) but now I'm sending the OE (egr version) that came off the car to Yoshifab to essentially have them modify that one so I can just put the proper EGR manifold back on and maybe sell the (non EGR) manifold I'm temporarily using now.

In the process I've ofcourse changed all the hardware with OEM Volvo parts. (Studs, washers, copper lock nuts, gaskets)

But I have yet to expirence any negative effects from disabling the EGR system.

And the ported manifold made a huge difference in running (EGT) temperature, cool down time, overall power and also stability (virtually no more pinging, onset or otherwise!) The chipset I used eliminated like 70% of it but the ported manifold finished that job!

Car runs great now with the (td04hl) billet 20t. But i cannot wait to install my (Td06h) 20G! I'm pretty confident a properly ported manifold will flow efficiently enough for now.

Thanks for all the responses btw! You guys are great. Ttys!

Is it this easy to get rid of egr?

Sticking a ball bearing inside the hose is another easy and better looking way of doing it.

But disconnecting the EGR does not really have any benefits power wise and disabling the valve raises the temperature in the combustion chamber.

Back