• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Steering rack swap

studmuffed

Hey all, I was wondering if there are any options for a steering rack swap? The steering in my 240 has always left something to be desired especially when compared to a BMW steering rack or something similar. What would I need to account for other than rack width and fitting sizes/threads?

Steering shaft to rack pinion size?, same distance, place?. Mounting points, how is it mounted, different mounting centers? how far away to the center of the rack to the mounts, any change in rack to frame will give you bump steer, overall width, tie rod ends.

Isn't someone selling quick ratio rack and pinion kits for manual racks? There's also ben's quick steer roll correctors with adjustable steering ratio. And if you have a power steering rack, there should be a way to modify the pump itself to provide less assistance which should give you better feel.

The reason the BMWs feel better has to do with how the suspension arms are mounted.
240s have giant, soft rubber bushings from the factory and a steering shaft that has a rubber isolator in it. If you want better feel, you can add delrin or poly bushings. You can also get a solid steering shaft. Adding more caster can also help.

Ok, you guys have convinced me to just try to get the stock stuff working at 110% then. I'll start with poly bushings and go from there. Thanks!

There was an option to fit a very similar rack with a better ratio; I'm trying to think of the OE application.... perhaps a MERCUR?

Check some old FS thread listings and see; from memory, JohnV put one of these quick ratio racks into a 240 and the only adaptation was at the "rag joint" ..... steering shaft input.

Back