home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Default Can I remove 744 headliner without removing rear/front window?

My headliner has finally fallen and is being held up by the felt itself. I know you can remove the headliner on a 744 by removing the rear windshield but I honestly am not looking to get that in depth.

After some research, I found a thread on MatthewsVolvoSite that talks about removing the front seats and then being able to slide it out the front door - https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=26848

Is there any way I can remove the headliner without removing an entire front/rear window? If not, I'm going to use an intense amounts of adhesive and glue.
My Feedback Thread - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=342247
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
2manyturbos

Just believe what you read on Matthewsvolvo. I've done it several times. IIRC it has to come out the back door, however, you do have to remove at least one front seat in order to rotate the headliner so it will go vertical and fit out through the door opening.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
alschnertz
Enough already!

I've never heard that you have to remove the front or rear window - though that would definitely make it easier! Agreed that you should be able to manipulate out though one of the doors.

Expect it to be frustrating though as the headliner "pan" will likely be dry and very fragile after 32 years. IIRC, I repaired cracks on the back side of my '86 745 pan with fiberglass patch prior to re-lining it. Take your time. I did mine in 2009 and it's still looks great.

Wagons are easier than sedans because it comes out the hatch.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere

Are you trying to pull it out without breaking it? As Al mentions it will be very brittle and probably crack on the way out if you are trying to magic it out.
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Just believe what you read on Matthewsvolvo. I've done it several times. IIRC it has to come out the back door, however, you do have to remove at least one front seat in order to rotate the headliner so it will go vertical and fit out through the door opening.
I pulled a headliner from a 960 in Roy's yard a few years ago. It wasn't too bad. Wouldn't expect it to be much different in a 740.

As mentioned, pulling the front seats makes life much easier.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:26 PM   #6
tintintin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_740Turbo View Post
If not, I'm going to use an intense amounts of adhesive and glue.
BTDT-- That doesn't really work. Neither does the spirally twist pins or T-pins. Best bet is to rip out the fabric and scrape off the foam until you can take out the structure to reupholster it.

Hey that just gave me an idea-- What about (all done in place) scraping off the foam, light sanding, then roll on a thin coat of pickup bed liner with a weenie roller? Mask off the trim, etc. first of course.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
daniels740
Board Member

When I did my headliner it broke at the thin slivers beside the sunroof holes. That included removing the front passenger seat. It was badly deteriorated anyway. I repaired it with epoxy and scrap metal sheets... what I had on hand.

If you don't have a sunroof, be glad you don't while doing this job. It was an absolute pain reupholstering my pre-glass sunroof, in addition to structural weakness it gave my headliner.

ANYWAY, remembering the reason I started this reply... DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF as your headliner adhesive. It's what I used and my headliner is pulling off the dipping point where the headliner has a little more space after the sunroof assembly (over rear left and right passengers' heads). Another thing to blame the sunroof for.
daniels740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:07 AM   #8
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
What about (all done in place) scraping off the foam
Hey, look! It's snowing inside the car!!!
Quote:
then roll on a thin coat of pickup bed liner with a weenie roller?
AAAAAUGHHH!! Now it's raining tar on my face!!!!

(Gravity is an inconsiderate b!tch!)

1990 740GL
521,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #9
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70T5fivespeed View Post
Are you trying to pull it out without breaking it? As Al mentions it will be very brittle and probably crack on the way out if you are trying to magic it out.
I mean ideally I'd like to pull it out without cracking it. I reckon that with the removal of the drive rand passenger seat, it should be possible to angle it and take it out
Old 08-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #10
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels740 View Post
When I did my headliner it broke at the thin slivers beside the sunroof holes. That included removing the front passenger seat. It was badly deteriorated anyway. I repaired it with epoxy and scrap metal sheets... what I had on hand.

If you don't have a sunroof, be glad you don't while doing this job. It was an absolute pain reupholstering my pre-glass sunroof, in addition to structural weakness it gave my headliner.

ANYWAY, remembering the reason I started this reply... DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF as your headliner adhesive. It's what I used and my headliner is pulling off the dipping point where the headliner has a little more space after the sunroof assembly (over rear left and right passengers' heads). Another thing to blame the sunroof for.
If not to use that headliner adhesive, what should I use then? I did my research and couldn't find anything other than that adhesive spray.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
2 old for this
Board Member

3m trim adhesive. Also if a sunroof car, reinforce the sides around the opening.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
Mr. V
Board Member

I used the 3M spray after scraping the headliner so as to get a good surface for bonding on our '86 740 turbo sedan.

No issues removing the headliner ithrough the door: yes, remove the seats first.

Get new headliner material from a fabric store: I did a color change which went well.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #13
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels740 View Post

Daniels is a realist. The sunroof gives you some serious weak points. Maybe perfect climate cars can survive that pull but I would say 9/10 wonít. I dunno the other mention of reinforcing first might be worth a shot.

Also keep in mind for replacement material it has to be pretty thin. If itís a little too thick none of the trim will fit back on after and youíll have a new issue.
S70T5fivespeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
tintintin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70T5fivespeed View Post
Also keep in mind for replacement material it has to be pretty thin. If itís a little too thick none of the trim will fit back on after and youíll have a new issue.
Yeah that's right. Get the 1/8" thick headliner instead of the more common 1/4" thick.

Isn't there a good description of this process on brickboard.com?
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #15
745T+
Board Member

I've removed 744 and 944 headliners multiple times. Easiest if you take the passenger front seat out, the console, and the right side of where the radio sits.
745T+ is offline   Reply With Quote