• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B234 16V-balance shaft belt removal

MikeSr.

What, me worry?
300+ Club
Has anyone removed balance shaft belt on stock B234?- It's time for a belt change and I'm wondering if it's possible to run this engine without the balance shafts turning. Would vibration be a serious problem? This is a daily driver with a lot of suspension upgrades but essentially stock engine. I know Dick Prince has some experience with this setup-any ideas and input welcome.

Doing it on Justins motor. Haven't come up with the plugs yet, but freezeplugs or tapped for pipe plug fittings would probably work.

The balance shaft belt also drives the external oil pump, so you'll have ot find a shorter belt to drive that.

22394561.jpg

its the smaller belt in the back

original.jpg

doug from your pic all i see is the cam belt driving the oil pump. balance shaft belt has nothing to do with it. it runs off a pulley behind the main pulley on the crankshaft but it's serprate system.

thats why your valves are at risk when the oil pump pulley bolt snaps.

Fires Inside said:
what is the advantage in removing the balancing shaft?

ideally, removing the balance shafts puts less parasitic strain on the motor, allowing more power to make it to the wheels. the downside to it is that the motor may not be as smooth as before, however, as long as the rotating assembly is well balanced, this is a non issue to people searching for ultimate performance (i.e Doug :wink: )

Billy

So- any noticeable change after removing the shafts?
Advantages seem to be less chance of belt failure, weight removal.
Disadvantages?
If you have done this mod, would you recommend it?
Thanks guys.

from my obsevations it looks like the B234F was a testbed for new technology's many of which went on to be included in the later 5 and 6cyl engines, as well as the later B230's what with the larger bearing and oil squirters.

the balance shaft system like the ones on porsche 944/968's, allows you to make a very smooth large capacity 4 cyl engine. be nice to use a offset ground crank in one.

A guy on the Brickboard says he took his off and noticed no difference in vibration with it removed- I am going to try this and see how it works.

Back