• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dan's 142... b20, Holset.

savar 500+ hp b20 recipe: (on ethanol)

http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61047

there are some people that got into the low 12s with an M40, but they seem to switch to an M45 mounted to the M40 bellhousing and run it at a funny angle.... jens ran one like that during the "worlds fastest b20" time. lots of guys going fast with the M45.... just keep a spare one to swap :)

i've had a 6 puck & clutchnet red pressure plate, when it was n/a. the 6 puck sucked on the street
then went to an organic disc & the clutchnet red. ate up that disc. and the PP was a piece of sheeet.
its been working best with an organic disc & an NOS/OE pressure plate.... but the clutch is pretty toasted already, after ~500 miles.

eventually when the john v soooooper bitchin' flywheel is here.... and the 8 bolt b20 is done.... i'll run a saab aero PP, organic disc, M45... and keep a bucket in the trunk to pick up the parts that fall off.

anyone wanna buy the 142?

how about just all the go fast goodies? kinda thinking about going back to n/a... just putt around in it from time to time. i literally never drive the car anymore. don't think i've started it in 2 months. other cars/motorcycles get my attention more... and i really think i enjoyed the 142 more when the motor was stock.

turbo adapter (complete manifold to turbo)... holset HE351cw... intercooler... piping... chinabay bov... megasquirt... big ass injectors... 4" downpipe... 3" to tail exhaust...
it flat hauls ass, but if i want to go fast i've got motorcycles for that. can't quite compare.

All the go fast stuff would look real nice in my 1800 =), but I don't have the knowledge to install and maintain it. I might be interested in the Megasquirt setup if you're interested in selling parts separately

no... it's still in my driveway. i drove it around yesterday... kinda fun.

honestly i'd rather have a V8 in it... or a torquey N/A b20, but i'm not feeling like working on the car at all. i've other project vehicles that are taking what time i have.

my daughter is begging me to not sell it, so it can be her first car.

i am giving strong consideration to pulling the turbo, MS, all that jive...
and going with a pair of SU carbs.

Last edited:
no... it's still in my driveway. i drove it around yesterday... kinda fun.

honestly i'd rather have a V8 in it... or a torquey N/A b20, but i'm not feeling like working on the car at all. i've other project vehicles that are taking what time i have.

my daughter is begging me to not sell it, so it can be her first car.

i am giving strong consideration to pulling the turbo, MS, all that jive...
and going with a pair of SU carbs.

If you were to go through with that, would you want to sell the MS, turbo, and the other fuel system goodies?

If you were to go through with that, would you want to sell the MS, turbo, and the other fuel system goodies?

yup.

turbos are fun, but going fast = $. going fast, reliably = $$$.
the car has been pretty reliable, but i've blown up two transmissions, wasted 3 clutches, and i'm usually pretty easy on it when i actually drive it.

the 142 was a plenty fun car to scoot around town in when it was n/a... and it was nearly zero maintenance then.

nabricks.com or carbobricks.com... if i felt like spending a bit more time and money it'd be tdibricks.com :D

ever thought about trying an m410?

thought about it... but it would still be a continuous chase of fixing the next weak/broken part & before you know it there's $10k invested in a $4k car. i basically did what i aimed to with the car. satisfied that want.
plus, its more satisfying to put $4k into an old harley thats worth $10k on a bad day.

still dig the 142. it wouldnt be a trouble to keep it as is and occasionally drive it.

Last edited:
and then... after accomplishing what i wanted with the car, then trying (unsuccessfully) to sell it multiple times... decided i need a commuter that's better than the 12mpg my suburban gets.

IMG_20140510_170935.jpg

turbo was fun and all, but other than it being *really* quick, it wasn't so fun to drive on the street. off comes the turbo, off comes the MS... on goes a pair of rebuilt SUs and a heavy ass iron integral intake/exhaust (early, pre-secondary butterfly). waiting on a couple gaskets and a FPR... fab up some throttle linkage... done.

i'll tell ya... a couple years of the car just sitting in the driveway sure does a number in it, with the effing weather up here.

yeah; she seriously digs that car. guess i've had it since she was 2 years old... she helped work on it... she's driven it a number of times (sitting on my lap).

i've got a love/hate relationship with the 142. i really dig the lines, the handling, even the b20... but i'd rather have the space it takes filled with and old mopar, gm or ford. have a '31 model A coupe project that could use the space, too.

that and i swear that 142s are a sweet collector car that only i and like 7 other people care about :D

yeah; she seriously digs that car. guess i've had it since she was 2 years old... she helped work on it... she's driven it a number of times (sitting on my lap).

i've got a love/hate relationship with the 142. i really dig the lines, the handling, even the b20... but i'd rather have the space it takes filled with and old mopar, gm or ford. have a '31 model A coupe project that could use the space, too.

that and i swear that 142s are a sweet collector car that only i and like 7 other people care about :D

Amen to that.

Not to sway you one way or another, but growing up my dad had an old dodge truck that I fell in love with. I was getting my license right as he was shopping for a new truck, and when he sold the dodge I was gutted. Not that he had any kind of obligation to let me have it or anything, but still. The new truck was over 4x the price he sold the old one for, and he knew I loved that dodge. Though to be fair, that was my first sign that my dad only ever thinks about himself, especially when it has to do with 4 wheels and an engine. Later sold 2 of my cars out from under me without my knowledge while I was away at college. My HS DD became a derby car without my consent, or me getting a dime.

nobody buys 142s... apparently they're only traded for fish and dull stones, no actual money. i came all the way down to $1500 and nobody wanted it other than some dude from nigeria who would have his cousin bring a check for $3k. yeah. so...

got tired of pushing the car back and forth in the driveway...

IMG_20140602_182545.jpg

(just as a note: i'd rather have run the fuel/brake vacuum/dizzy vacuum lines parallel to the valve cover... but i didn't have enough fuel line handy)

starts/runs/drives/stops and it's not on fire. also not gonna sell it for $1500 now... i'll burn it in a field or push it off a cliff first.

didn't have a choke cable handy, too cheap to buy one... so busted out some bike parts. one odyssey slick cable, a bmx brake gyro, some threaded tube... a bit of soldering... done.

IMG_20140602_203826.jpg

IMG_20140602_205811.jpg

this is the dash side... the rod rides in the friction tube with a friction fit... i'll thread the end and put a knob on it.
IMG_20140602_210548.jpg

Last edited:
I just did something similar... But altoids can, 2 row electrical barrier strip and a couple springs. I only had 1 cable that was too short to cut in half, so I cut 2 10" pieces and ran them to the can with the long piece running out the other end to the dash..

Hows that throttle linkage working out for ya?

the throttle linkage worked out great. I had to lengthen the rod and tweak it a bit, but quicker than making one from scratch.

all that's left for this car to be a driver is exhaust & fix the stick ignition switch.

it'll be up for sale/trade again this summer. I need the space. getting rid of this, my '94 suburban & '06 Prius... replace them all with something else. dunno what yet, but likely old. can't get into new cars at all.

I'll keep my eyes out for a 60's dart for ya! Walking my dog the other day and I looked over this guys fence, 3 dart swingers (1 restored-ish, 2 somewhat complete, 1 junk), 2 chargers (one restored and the remnants of a floor and roof of the other) and a galaxy... and it seems that when he gets one done, the parts cars move out on to the street for a few weeks before getting loaded off somewhere.

Back