• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S80 ignition key problem

Bob Kraushaar

Banned
My mom-in-law's '99 S80 gave her a scare today. I ended up going to the rescue and I am convinced it was NOT pilot trouble.

She could not get the key to turn in the ignition switch. It was NOT the wheel pressing against the stop. I tried it and it would not turn at all, no matter where I positioned the wheel. After jiggling it a bit, I was able to get the key to rotate the cylinder to the II position but no further. More jiggling and finally it started. I took out the key and noticed a bit of grunge in the valleys so I cleaned them out. The key seems to be turning now but there is still some resistance in turning the key cylinder. The resistance feels mechanical in nature, as if the tumblers are not fully aligned.

Is this a common problem with a resolution or am I breaking new ground? I know little about this model having cut my teeth on 200/700/900's.

Thanks in advance...

We've seen muliple issues with the lock cylinders in some of the newer cars, alot of P2 cars as well as S/V 70's. Diffrent scenerios all the time, sometimes the key will just spin around in circles and not engage at all. It sounds like your is on the way out. If I had to guess off hand I would say that your going to have to replace the lock cylinder assembly. Kind of tough job but you could do it yourself if you are so inclined. You will need to order a new lock cylinder from the dealer with the cars vin#.

Back