• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sliced 530 head - pictures & scans

Swedbrick

Hi all, given I got access to these by I thought I'd open source them. STL files from skanect and original pictures are in the zip files:)

530-exhaust:
kmIAiqml.jpg

530-intake:
rZxsyZml.jpg

Attachments

• 530-exhaust.zip
    292.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 530-intake.zip
    314.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
These are great, now if only someone would ms paint a head porting for dummies.

Google image search for the pic, and look here (use google translate for the page)

http://www.topplocksverkstan.se/omforetaget.html

There are "standard" porting practices that you can use, and see large improvements in performance. A lot of people port at the gasket areas, don't do that as a beginner.

~70% of porting gains will be ~1.5" into the port from the valve seat, and then chamber profile.

Porting at the gasket areas is pretty much pointless on the exhaust unless you're doing big changes near the valve. And I mean BIG changes.

Porting at the gasket area at the intake is OK, but you need to calculate the cross section areas (CSA) throughout the port to know what you need and where. Otherwise you'll end up with a port that slows down, and speeds up, and slows down, and speeds up as the air goes through the port.

In all honesty, for the majority (and I mean like 90%) of redblock builds, a simple bowl blend and a good valve job + increased CR will be all they'll ever need/want.

Google image search for the pic, and look here (use google translate for the page)

http://www.topplocksverkstan.se/omforetaget.html

There are "standard" porting practices that you can use, and see large improvements in performance. A lot of people port at the gasket areas, don't do that as a beginner.

~70% of porting gains will be ~1.5" into the port from the valve seat, and then chamber profile.

Porting at the gasket areas is pretty much pointless on the exhaust unless you're doing big changes near the valve. And I mean BIG changes.

Porting at the gasket area at the intake is OK, but you need to calculate the cross section areas (CSA) throughout the port to know what you need and where. Otherwise you'll end up with a port that slows down, and speeds up, and slows down, and speeds up as the air goes through the port.

In all honesty, for the majority (and I mean like 90%) of redblock builds, a simple bowl blend and a good valve job + increased CR will be all they'll ever need/want.

All of that.

I worry more about the top of exhaust, and both of the inside radii. And all heinous sharp spots and boogers.

The chamber work all depends on the application.

From what i remember, all the 8v aluminum volvo heads share the same exhaust ports.
The early and late style improved intake ports are close the identical from pics i have seen, but i only remember working on a few 531 heads, so i can?t be sure.
I can?t remember any chamber variations, but the B21s had a chamber that was wider than the cylinder by a small amount.

I don?t have a pic of a 398 on a B21, but here is a 530 on a B21.
18288707.jpg

Back