• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 What 4" speakers are any good these days?

HiSPL

Fanking Champion 1993
I'm going to spend my stimmy check on some audio upgrades for the 240.

I haven't kept up with car audio in decades, so what current 4" speakers A) fit, and B) sound good in the 240 front doors?

I am going to do a stealth install. I'll have a dsp, amp(s), new speakers, and small subs to fill in the bottom. The goal is to be completely hidden and to favor SQ over volume. So for the front doors I want something that will sound as good as possible without being 1000 dollars. Budget up to 100-ish bucks for the 4 inchers.

Are Polk DB402's any good? Crutchfield has a set on sale right now. I know everybody back in the day used the Kenwoods. Just wondering if there's something newer and impressiver out there.....

Anything against using the Volvo HT-204 or HT-205 grilles from a 1990-93 car? If you do that, you have the option of using 5.25" speakers (they're meant for 5", but if you use two screw holes diagonally, the 5.25" speakers fit). I run the Sony XS-3051 speakers in my 242 with period correct Sony grilles, so they don't look flashy (simple round grille with a mesh insert that covers the screws). In my 245, I have the XS-R1345 speakers which normally have a grille that looks like it's from a sci-fi movie, but do fit under a stock HT-205 grille.

With respect to 4" speakers, most don't have much, if any bass. Pioneer speakers seem to be the exception, but, even Sony 4 inchers are lacking now. Used to be that you could get a pair of XS-1028 or 1029 speakers and have somewhat decent bass in the doors, with good high frequencies as well.

I would recommend checking eBay for NOS speakers, like the aforementioned Sony 4" or the Pioneer TS-A1090 4" speakers if you must stick with 4" drivers, otherwise, anything from the Pioneer TS-G or TS-A series in the 5.25" size, or the pre-xPlod Sony 5.25" speakers will do the job without being garish. For rear speakers, if you don't want 6x9s, a pair of 6.5" speakers like the Sony XS-8603 model will work quite well. Almost enough bass with those to avoid a subwoofer install. For that matter, unless you're planning on competing, it may be enough. I know that the previous year's XS-7603 version I have in the rear cargo area of my 245 fits my needs. Deep, but also tight bass. In the 242, I run a pair of 6x9 Sony xPlod speakers that are at least less red than the earlier versions. Use a pair of Boston Acoustics 6x9 grilles on them, so they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Deck-wise, I'm running an Alpine CDA-105 in each car. Not overly flashy and has both a USB input for a phone or MP3 player, plus changer controls. In both cars, I have them mounted in the lower dash location, since they both have the gauge pack installed. Plus, the display can be kinda bright, even when dimmed, so it might not be ideal in an upper dash location.

Good question, will be keeping my eyes on this thread since I have thought the exact same question for the exact same situation.

I agree the color matched 4" speaker covers are the best looking

Just a heads up, the stock plastic speaker grilles are held on with little plastic pins that love to snap off if you want to remove them.

I'm using the HT-204s and the appearance is pretty good. The really good setup would be Kaplhenke's 5.25" stock style brackets, if they ever make more grilles for them to sell! https://www.bneshop.com/collections/240/products/240-5-25-speaker-bracket-and-grill

Deck-wise, I'm running an Alpine CDA-105 in each car. Not overly flashy and has both a USB input for a phone or MP3 player, plus changer controls. In both cars, I have them mounted in the lower dash location, since they both have the gauge pack installed. Plus, the display can be kinda bright, even when dimmed, so it might not be ideal in an upper dash location.

I have a Kenwood KM-BT322U in the upper location. I think the newer version is pretty much the same with slightly different buttons. The style and bezel color matches the dash very well and with the display color adjusted to a nice 80s green, it looks appropriate in the car. Don't really like the 90s style of the Alpines.

My stock grills are in perfect shape, and I like them better than the late grills.

I don't need bass out of the 4"ers. I'll have some mid-bass drivers under the seats which should give me all the bass I'll ever want, but if I ever need more I'll put a sub in the trunk.

Agreed on Ben's grills. Those are legit, but unavailable, and technically I'm trying to do this reasonably on a budget.

For a head unit I'll either be keeping my stock cr712, or a vintage Kenwood krc1007 tape deck I found in the junkyard a couple weeks back.

The dsp I'll be using gives me bluetooth from my phone, plus I have another plan to integrate a direct usb connection to the dsp. The head unit will be mostly for looks and the ability to play cassettes/fm radio.

Retro sound? I bought a pair for car. My V8 2 door wagon has Bertone door cards. I needed slim speakers so as not to cut out the wood panel as they fit behind the door card and have to clear the window. They fit the stock hole in the door frame.

For a 2-way driver it looks like the JL C2-400X is the ticket if you don’t want to spend a fortune.

This is based on shopping research I have been doing as I feel bad chopping up some minty fresh Bertone door panels I just installed.

I used 4" infinity speakers from Crutchfield years ago on the turbo. When they wore out. I replaced them with Kenwoods. Crutchfield used to sell a bracket which bolts on with the speakers and lets you use the stock grills. I'd ask for the brackets and see if they still sell them.

My preference is for the JL Audio C5-400cm in the front door, stock position, paired with the JL Audio C5-075ct mounted inside the later-model, manual mirror adjustment.
The Later mirror adjuster housing will require an additional hole to be drilled so they can clip-in. (with regards to an '82)

To mount the 4" speakers, I used the adapters made by Wagonmeister and placed the stock, early '80s cover on top.
They fit nicely inside the adapters with the speaker tabs removed.

ARZUckb.jpg
[/IMG]

But since that's over-budget, I'd recommend the JL-Audio C2-400x.
For the price and size, they sound great.
They will require a couple of washers/spacers if matching them with the original '80s grill as the tweeters are just a tad too tall.

Can't remember which model they were, but I heard a pair of 4" Polks in a 240 years ago...didn't sound bad.
I've tried some of the less expensive Memphis and Pioneer, but they never sat right with me.

I just went against my own recommendation and bought some Infinity Reference 4” ers.

Will probably move on to some Dayton 4” midranges and ribbon tweeters if I ever get around to building some passive crossovers.

I have 4 4 inch alpine speakers and they sound pretty good off the matching alpine stereo. I'll look up speakers and post back. I plan on adding an amplifier(second hand of course). This is not really a budget option but you might get lucky and find some on craigslist or fb marketplace from someone upgrading their system.

These are the ones I have. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hDpSl...LuX7GA3WkLJBPdjOdPZWZBxya4_ncKxkaAkE5EALw_wcB

They can with a decent enclosure

I have 4 kickers something or other model in my 245. There ok

at the end of the day any bigger speaker will sound better...

with that said Im not hacking up my door panels
\
I have 4 4 inch alpine speakers and they sound pretty good off the matching alpine stereo. I'll look up speakers and post back. I plan on adding an amplifier(second hand of course). This is not really a budget option but you might get lucky and find some on craigslist or fb marketplace from someone upgrading their system.

These are the ones I have. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hDpSl...LuX7GA3WkLJBPdjOdPZWZBxya4_ncKxkaAkE5EALw_wcB

45 RMS is no reason to get an amp

Pretty much no 4? speakers will sound great

Depends on your definition of great.

4"ers will do just fine for me. Since I will be supplementing them with some 6.5" sub-basses under the seats.

No 4" speaker will have satisfying low end. Physics is physics after all.

BTW, I waffled about this for a long time until yesterday. I bought some old, but in good shape Audax VP100Z2's. Can't wait to get these puppies in!

Back