• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Manual Swap t5 1989 Volvo 740 gle

Volvo740brick

Hey guys, new to this site and wanted to know what?s involved and what?s need to swap a t5 onto the b230f engine and if it can be done. Also what t5 trans should I use? Do I need the Volvo manual pedal box? Does a t56 trans fit?

I recently did the t5 swap in my 1990 740t. You will need to buy a 740/940 manual pedal box, it's up to you to source a cable clutch system or hydraulic pedal box. I don't believe there are any t56 to redblock adapter plates that anybody makes, I could be mistaken.

The biggest issue with the swap is the shifter relocation. With the mustang tail housing on the t5 (probably most common) the shifter is several inches too far forward. I had to modify my shifter with some quarter-inch steel to move it back. When the transmission is removed and there is room underneath the car you should hammer out the shifter opening as well. I believe if you find a t5 with a camaro tailhousing then the shifter position won't be an issue in a 740/940. Here is a photo of what I did

homemade-shifter.jpg

Lastly, the t5 really messes up your driveshaft angles, I had to raise my transmission 3/4inches upward from the max height using the Yoshifab 740 t5 transmission cross-member. So at maximum height using the adjustability within the cross-member, I had to shim it up an additional 3/4inch. You will need to buy adjustable torque rods or make your own to raise the pinion angles as well.

I recently did the t5 swap in my 1990 740t. You will need to buy a 740/940 manual pedal box, it's up to you to source a cable clutch system or hydraulic pedal box. I don't believe there are any t56 to redblock adapter plates that anybody makes, I could be mistaken.

The biggest issue with the swap is the shifter relocation. With the mustang tail housing on the t5 (probably most common) the shifter is several inches too far forward. I had to modify my shifter with some quarter-inch steel to move it back. When the transmission is removed and there is room underneath the car you should hammer out the shifter opening as well. I believe if you find a t5 with a camaro tailhousing then the shifter position won't be an issue in a 740/940. Here is a photo of what I did

homemade-shifter.jpg

Lastly, the t5 really messes up your driveshaft angles, I had to raise my transmission 3/4inches upward from the max height using the Yoshifab 740 t5 transmission cross-member. So at maximum height using the adjustability within the cross-member, I had to shim it up an additional 3/4inch. You will need to buy adjustable torque rods or make your own to raise the pinion angles as well.

Are you located in Australia? If so can I give you a call or message and talk about some other questions I had? Also I can?t seem to find a pedal box anywhere do you know where I can get one?

I used to live in Brisbane from 2006-2008! I found my pedal box on the forums, the cable one seems to pop up more than the hydraulic system pedal box. I'm still dialing in driveshaft angles which have been the largest annoyance of the project. Message me, maybe we can have a quick phone chat, or I can send you a parts list!
Are you located in Australia? If so can I give you a call or message and talk about some other questions I had? Also, I can’t seem to find a pedal box anywhere do you know where I can get one?

Last edited:
In times of repair I think u'd like the non hydraulic unit better. The more fancy **** you put on the cars the more work it is to fix it when it fails. Man get an old one and the master cylinder on it goes u gotta deal with a kit and fluid etc right? :roll: If a cable snaps u just replace it. Maybe I'm wrong but I've had a similar setup in a 84 nissan/datsun 200sx turbo and had to replace the hydraulic unit when the master failed. Id rather install a cable.

Regards,
Hubert

Back