• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What is your dream redblock build if you have unlimited budget?

Jussi Alanko

So, lets imagine that you have won the lottery and you need to build a two valve redblock, what is yours parts list?

This engine that i'm gonna "dreambuild" is for the street/strip use, so it had to be drivable on normal streets without problems and if you want, you can go to strip and broke 10 sec limit.

What i start this build is a Motordesign Sweden R-block with 96.30mm bore.
Then i put to it ACM:s 3000cc billet stroker kit for radical turbo use.
Then i send rotating assembly with front pulley and custom flexplate.

When short block is ready i hire somebody to make a "oil pan", then i put a dry sump oiling system to it.

For cylinder head, i choose evo 2-valve head with 52-39mm valves with 7mm stems. This kind of head flows incredible 300cfm!

Gas_flow_test_data_EVO_2V.JPG

Because it had to be street drivable i put a automatic gearbox to it with 4500rpm stall speed.

Then i can use a custom billet camshaft with following specs, duration at 0.050" 275/275 and 16mm lift, 114LSA.

Next thing will be chosing turbo to engine. Because it is a 3liter engine it can handle a little bigger turbos also. But i choose a twin scroll design turbo with ball bearings. Good choice can be something like BorgWarner S476SX-E (Comp. 76.00mm / Turbine 81.74mm), exhaust housing is a a/r 1.00 and twin-scroll, or dual-volute as they say in B/W.

It can produce 100lb/min at 3.0bar or 43.5psi, which is enough to 1000hp.
But i can drive it with a 2.5bar, then it goes with 76% efficiency and can produce 850hp.

Next thing that i buy is a big Ic with 4" core and size can be something about 300mm*500mm or 12", 20", 4". Intercooler piping is 3" all the way through.

Now i only need a intake and exhaust manifolds.

With exhaust manifolds i choose a Finnish made KKD-motorspots custom exhaust manifold. KKD-motorsport owns Europes fastest Supra.

Intake manifold is simple one, i put a Lensu power shops cast intake manifold to it, it is same casting as Kl-racings manifolds, but quality control is better, and i can buy it in Finland.

Sieppaa%20imusa.PNG

Then engines "hard parts" are in good shape.

With this combination engine pulls hard at 4500rpm to 8000rpm.

Engine runs of course with E85.

Engines ecu can be Haltech Elite 1500.
I can drive it full sequentally for fueling.

For spark i drive it sequentally and i use Coil Near Plug system with IGN1-A coils.

This kind of build can produce reliable 800hp, and if you want to go crazy it can handle 1200hp.:rofl:

Even without forced induction 3liter redblock can produce easily 350hp and very broad torque curve.

What kind of two valve redblock you build if you had the money? :roll:

I want that motordesign block, already have a billet stroker crank and other items. time has been more of an issue for me than money over the past 3 years, so we'll see where things go from here.

My goals are much more modest even if I had a big budget to build big. I have many of the parts I need. Just need the funds and some help. My modest goals it is going to be a 92.5mm bored B21FT with a flowed 531 head. exhaust valve upgraded to 38mm. Pistons are the RSI ones with their longer H beam rods. BMW oil squirters for the block. Cam is an enem V16. Not sure about the turbo but it will probably be something like a T3/T04E. Something that supports 350-400hp. Will be using a 90+ manifold. Nothing new or ground breaking. But I wanted it to be reliable and a good street driving engine. The head also has the Yoshifab spring kit installed. So, should be able to rev to 7k. That is high enough because I still want to use stock accessories and have a/c.

Vert mount 16v
stock stroke
billet crank
ARP studs bottom and top
long-rod setup with Oliver rods and a set of Wisecos
16v head done like RSI had started to work on with Kenny by welding material to the top of the intake ports to raise them and make them larger
solid lifter setup with a proper spring/retainer package
a set of rowdy cams from enem
bigger Ferrea valves
cutting ring head gasket
dry sump from Daily with a pan made by them
belt driven vacuum pump for the motor
cam driven Waterman fuel pump
1 set of ID1050s
1 set of ID2050s
Doc Race built intake and exhaust manifolds (they are local so why not)
75mm bosch ethrottle body
Motec M150 ECU accompanied by instrumentation of the everything
Motec C1212 dash
Borg EFR 9280 or 9180 with a 1.01 or 1.45 hotside or a Xona rotor of some flavor
M4 DCT trans with upgraded clutches...

Doc Race built intake and exhaust manifolds (they are local so why not)

I didn't know they'd really do one off/customs, I thought they were all tied up on the BMW/Supra production stuff.

I bet those would not be cheap! (maybe even more than $600!)

I would want a custom billet head just keep it 8v no need for 16v when head is redesigned for great flow from over the pond. Big cam- The klracing intake would work- forged pistons- best rods money can buy- billet crank just stock stroke- custom header twin scroll. Would use menthol fuel. For the trans I would want a modern 6 speed manual or a 10 speed auto computer controlled. Forgot about the turbo, it would be a modern beast. LOL

I didn't know they'd really do one off/customs, I thought they were all tied up on the BMW/Supra production stuff.

I bet those would not be cheap! (maybe even more than $600!)

I mean, we're talking dream setup...money talks and moves you up in line.

So, lets imagine that you have won the lottery and you need to build a two valve redblock, what is yours parts list?

This engine that i'm gonna "dreambuild" is for the street/strip use, so it had to be drivable on normal streets without problems and if you want, you can go to strip and broke 10 sec limit.

What i start this build is a Motordesign Sweden R-block with 96.30mm bore.
Then i put to it ACM:s 3000cc billet stroker kit for radical turbo use.
Then i send rotating assembly with front pulley and custom flexplate.

When short block is ready i hire somebody to make a "oil pan", then i put a dry sump oiling system to it.

For cylinder head, i choose evo 2-valve head with 52-39mm valves with 7mm stems. This kind of head flows incredible 300cfm!

Gas_flow_test_data_EVO_2V.JPG

Because it had to be street drivable i put a automatic gearbox to it with 4500rpm stall speed.

Then i can use a custom billet camshaft with following specs, duration at 0.050" 275/275 and 16mm lift, 114LSA.

Next thing will be chosing turbo to engine. Because it is a 3liter engine it can handle a little bigger turbos also. But i choose a twin scroll design turbo with ball bearings. Good choice can be something like BorgWarner S476SX-E (Comp. 76.00mm / Turbine 81.74mm), exhaust housing is a a/r 1.00 and twin-scroll, or dual-volute as they say in B/W.

It can produce 100lb/min at 3.0bar or 43.5psi, which is enough to 1000hp.
But i can drive it with a 2.5bar, then it goes with 76% efficiency and can produce 850hp.

Next thing that i buy is a big Ic with 4" core and size can be something about 300mm*500mm or 12", 20", 4". Intercooler piping is 3" all the way through.

Now i only need a intake and exhaust manifolds.

With exhaust manifolds i choose a Finnish made KKD-motorspots custom exhaust manifold. KKD-motorsport owns Europes fastest Supra.

Intake manifold is simple one, i put a Lensu power shops cast intake manifold to it, it is same casting as Kl-racings manifolds, but quality control is better, and i can buy it in Finland.

Sieppaa%20imusa.PNG

Then engines "hard parts" are in good shape.

With this combination engine pulls hard at 4500rpm to 8000rpm.

Engine runs of course with E85.

Engines ecu can be Haltech Elite 1500.
I can drive it full sequentally for fueling.

For spark i drive it sequentally and i use Coil Near Plug system with IGN1-A coils.

This kind of build can produce reliable 800hp, and if you want to go crazy it can handle 1200hp.:rofl:

Even without forced induction 3liter redblock can produce easily 350hp and very broad torque curve.

What kind of two valve redblock you build if you had the money? :roll:

From the way this reads "So, lets imagine that you have won the lottery and you need to build a two valve redblock, what is yours parts list?"

@ Jussi

So my questions are this... is the question open to just what you specified here or is it truly open to anything volvo ? There are dream motors posted here with heads already that are not 2 valve so I'm a bit confused by it. I dont know the price of everything you listed but for the price I've seen for some of those evo based motors Id probably not go there at all with lottery winnings because with them I could put a RB26Dett in it and paint it red. I love redblock volvos but for unlimited money I doubt I'd do anything listed here. You are one helluva fan if you have lottery winnings and are still thinking about building one at any cost as any more than a novelty. In my mind lottery money could buy me something better than a redblock so what is the price of the items and work you have listed? What do you estimate the real cost to be for your dreams?

Regards
Hubert

Unlimited budget? Ls3 with a t56 and Ford rear end.

Paint the block red and machine some penta valve covers to fit.

Put them on a General Electric T58-8F engine, sorry off topic. Redblocks only.

See what I mean Jussi ? Next might be a rolls royce merlin with red paint. Im just asking because it seems like you were specifically asking about the 2 valve as a starting base but maybe the question was accidentally worded and it encompassed your dream build red block which is EVO based. It could have been easily misinterpreted by me . Im just looking for clarity and an idea of what your Christmas list would really cost in essence.

Its always LS marvelous why not an LT ???

Regards
Hubert

Since you say two valves and technically a B20 or B30 is two valves per cylinder...

This is what has been going through my head lately. No idea if it would be any good given that it only existed in my head up until writing this down.

I would start with a later B20F.
Bore it out to 2.1L
8 Bolt crank
Work over a B20F head to address the restrictive exhaust valves (probably most of the money goes into this hole)
Supercharge it (a lot of options for units to fit)
I would have to do the math but however high I can go on compression and still run pump gas, definitely could go higher than 8.7:1
Choose a cam for power from 2-6k RPM
Modern EFI (probably megasquirt or something equivalent)
Lighter 20lb-ish flywheel.
T5 or equivalent five speed, built up with suitable ratios
Ford or Chevy rear end (anything beefier than the 10 spline Spicer 27)

Back