• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 Replacement Windshield

FROSTED_BVTTS

Anybody had luck getting a 240 windshield lately? If so, where did you get it? My 85's is leaking and it's got a couple little bullseye cracks, but the guy at the collision repair place in town couldn't get one to replace it with, early or later style.

I just had a shop successfully track one down for me this week. Car’s a ‘91 244 and the windshield was sitting in a warehouse in NJ.

The guy I spoke with made it sound like the later ones are much easier to get than the earlier ones. Not sure if that applies everywhere though.

Your car will have a windshield with chrome trim. The replacement will NOT have the chrome trim, just a black rubber seal. Helps with wind noise. I don't think you will be able to reuse the old trim.

You won't be able to reuse the chrome trim.

Order the windshield with at least 3/4" rubber gasket or even 1". If you don't specify you are going to get 5/8" and gaps. If it shows up with 5/8" you are not going to be happy.

Replaced one on my '90 245 a few years ago, got the one with the rubber trim/gasket. A local glass shop supplied it and came to my house and installed it. they have since closed/retired.

I got one in 2019 installed by Normans glass in Burlington NJ. They got me a PPG windshield. They were still listed as available from Volvo at that time for about $60 more. The guy told me that the trim is put on at the factory and he can't advise the factory to put a larger lip seal on there. So mine is raised a little at the corners but is otherwise ok even though you can see the old line from the larger original seal lip. Such is the parts supply we have nowadays.

The seal/gasket is available on ebay in various widths. The gasket is not permanently attached and easily replaced.

What comes standard with the glass is intended for the later ('93) windshields. That just doesn't work with 240's that came with the chrome trim.

Everyone is just lazy. Find someone that cares. You didn't buy a decent 240 for cheap transportation.

With the price the 240's especially the 245's selling on the internet these days you want to do it right for a $20 difference.

Even Volvo only has the newer style windshield available. But they probably aren't as lazy as PPG glass and they put on a seal that is more suited to the car.

Thanks for all the responses. I told the folks at the collision place about the later windshields, but apparently their suppliers didn't have any glass to replace it with. :e-shrug: Guess I just need to do some calling around. This car is beat to hell and basically a sensory war crime already, so I'll try to get the 1" gasket but for now I'll take what I can get if it means a windshield that seals. What's the process to replace the gasket if I wind up with the thinner one?

Just got back from having a windshield put into a ‘91 244. Guy said it was an absolute pain to find the glass, but it came from a warehouse in South NJ.

The glass arrived with some really small trim on it (as described by Dave Barton). Installer agreed the trim it came with wouldn’t fly and gave me a choice of new moldings he could put on. I went with T-108. It’s about 1” or 25mm. Hope you’re able to find someone as thorough in your neck of the woods.

e7PvfC6.jpg

ZLxpCMt.jpg

I've needed a new windshield for years but I've always been kinda afraid of the state of the sill underneath, since I have no garage to do rust repair in and there's definitely a couple bubbles in the corners...

Given how rough it sounds like it is to find glass now, seems like it might be better to do it now and pay someone to handle the rust if necessary. :( If anyone knows a good glass shop in the Portland area I'm all ears.

That's great you found an installer that would work with you. The guy at my place wouldn't do squat. The glass was reasonable though. It was $271 installed at that time.

OEM gaskets for the early style windshields are still available through Skandix if you don't mind shipping from EU, or if you have a local shade tree who already does. Same goes for the glass itself, but I'd imagine the tab on mailing that is pretty brutal. The chrome is reusable and the gasket isn't that difficult to replace. Digging all of the old butyl out isn't much fun, but it's doable with a heat gun and patience.

Here an English How-To from the Skandix website: https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/installation-guide/front-windshield/3000012/
There's also a link for new glass and related installation accessories (gaskets, clips, sealant, primer, etc.) at the bottom of the page.

OEM gaskets for the early style windshields are still available through Skandix if you don't mind shipping from EU, or if you have a local shade tree who already does. Same goes for the glass itself, but I'd imagine the tab on mailing that is pretty brutal. The chrome is reusable and the gasket isn't that difficult to replace. Digging all of the old butyl out isn't much fun, but it's doable with a heat gun and patience.

Here an English How-To from the Skandix website: https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/installation-guide/front-windshield/3000012/
There's also a link for new glass and related installation accessories (gaskets, clips, sealant, primer, etc.) at the bottom of the page.

This makes me happy. Thanks for posting. I'd hate to lose my chrome trim if/when I decide to have the windshield replaced in our '89.

Back