• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jimbo's Amazon: 1964.5 220S Project

Old wheels:
NWu7zy2l.jpg

New fronts:
8gqPflvl.jpg

SGj7E6Bl.jpg

The process of making this car look cool is just gonna be you washing it.

You'll notice I took the windshield squeegee at a gas station on the ride home and cleaned one spot on the quarter and it looked way better underneath.

But yeah, the only cosmetic mod I plan I doing is a bath.

Hey!

Big shocker, I didn't do diddly squat on this car since swapping the front wheels onto it. Finals week wrapped up yesterday and I just finally got around to looking at the spreadsheet and figuring out what needs to be ordered to make this happen. I think the tentative plan is to maybe drive this thing to SE 2022.

Hopefully I'll have fun stuff to report back on soon.

Laid waste to an unsuspecting 97 E300 last Saturday in single digit weather.
Bm8sPVGl.jpg

23y1nw7l.jpg

Somehow, in all my years of playing with cars, this was the first time I pulled an engine at a junkyard.
2PREJBZl.jpg

I did grab the bellhousing and converter/flex plate as I have no clue what I'm putting this in quite yet or what transmission I'm going to use. I do have a lead on a good $400 e55 722.6 which would probably be the cheapest option for a transmission at present (plus a $700 controller from Denmark).

I'm sitting on an $18 junkyard 3L 603 pump and just need an alternator and belt drive stuff to realistically make this setup work. I need to measure and see if this pig will even come close to fitting without hacking the hell out of the firewall and core support, which I don't want to do considering how straight this car is.

EDIT: Yes I know NA 606's are weak, however at the bare minimum it's good for mockup. I know of a handful of people running unopened 606.912 with 400hp pumps and HX35's without wastegates with solid reliability. I will probably have a **** eating grin on my face around the 200hp mark and plan on closely monitoring EGT's and compensating with water/meth as need be.

Put a laggy turbo on it and a good 7.5 pump and it will be fine but I'll say this. Go with a EDC pump and dsl1 it will be cheaper in the long run and the stock EDC pump will easily get you over the 200hp mark. I would put the mech pump in it and fire it up on the stand. The na heads have a weird issue with sucking valve seats up and thumping out the intake and exhaust even when the lifters are pumped up. The last 2 n/a engines I parted out had valve seat issues and one had a cracked head. If you look up the part number on the head they share the same number as the early turbo heads and due to the year of that one it will already have a MLS headgasket which is nice. If you want me to rebuild the injectors for you let me know I have all the equipment and can bump up the pop pressure to turbo specs for you

Put a laggy turbo on it and a good 7.5 pump and it will be fine but I'll say this. Go with a EDC pump and dsl1 it will be cheaper in the long run and the stock EDC pump will easily get you over the 200hp mark. I would put the mech pump in it and fire it up on the stand. The na heads have a weird issue with sucking valve seats up and thumping out the intake and exhaust even when the lifters are pumped up. The last 2 n/a engines I parted out had valve seat issues and one had a cracked head. If you look up the part number on the head they share the same number as the early turbo heads and due to the year of that one it will already have a MLS headgasket which is nice. If you want me to rebuild the injectors for you let me know I have all the equipment and can bump up the pop pressure to turbo specs for you

You're saying that the NA ones drop valve seats or they get recessed into the head more?

You're saying that the NA ones drop valve seats or they get recessed into the head more?

They get recessed into the head. Like I said if you fire it up on the stand and clear up the lifters (aka rev the piss out of it) you will hear the thumping if it has happened. You can still get the seats from Mercedes so it isn't a huge deal, the n/a heads just are way more prone to it for some reason

They get recessed into the head. Like I said if you fire it up on the stand and clear up the lifters (aka rev the piss out of it) you will hear the thumping if it has happened. You can still get the seats from Mercedes so it isn't a huge deal, the n/a heads just are way more prone to it for some reason

GREAT.

Standing next to my amazon and om606 it looked like the core support would have to go, and the oil filter housing would be touching your right foot. I didn't measure but the thought of stuffing it in there crossed my mind. Much approval

Standing next to my amazon and om606 it looked like the core support would have to go, and the oil filter housing would be touching your right foot. I didn't measure but the thought of stuffing it in there crossed my mind. Much approval

Measured today. No ****ing way it's fitting.

606 is about 30.5" long
Amazon bay from firewall to core support is like 19"
Amazon bay from firewall to facia is about 28"

Can't justify cutting this car up for a 450lb engine. Time to shop for K series oil pans.

Back