home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Default Valentineís Day head gasket

1990 760 with a b230ft. Got to work and noticed smoke from under the hood. The car hadnít overheated or anything like that prior to me parking. I popped the hood and saw coolant spraying out of the seam between the head and block on the exhaust side, close to the front of the car. Iíve never heard of a head gasket leaking coolant outside of the engine, always in the oil or combustion chamber. Is it possible that I just need a new head gasket, or is something definitely cracked or warped? Iím not sure when Iíll get to tear into it sadly, but itíll have to be soon. Thanks in advanced
Wesdunns70t5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Jesse B
Fine Modern Gentleman

The two head gaskets that I've done to b230 engines (non-turbos) was due to coolant leaking out the exhaust side of the engine. In both cases, it was just weeping though, not spraying. And in both cases, it was nothing more than a break in the head gasket.
'96 855T, Autumn Gold, now converted to m56!
'11 XC70, T6
Jesse B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
JohnMc
PV Abuser

The HG seals in combustion chambers, oil passages (one of them pressurized), and lots of coolant passages. It's common for it to fail from combustion pressures (the highest stress it sees) - forcing a hole between a cylinder and something close to it. But really, it can fail between any of those areas to another, or to the outside.

And given the description, I'd be making sure that coolant isn't coming from the water pump area?
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
buzz
To inspamity, and beyond!

My 940 has been seeping coolant out the intake side for at least the past 10 years.
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

The Phoenix
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

well itís great to hear of at least two instances that reflect mine. I was thinking at first that it was the water pump, but a cell phone video debunked that immediately. About two minutes before pulling into my parking spot I did some spirited driving, so the pressure wouldíve been high considering that. After rewatching the video, it looks like it is just the gasket, as itís a fine stream coming directly from the head/block seam, so it doesnít look like there was any cracks anywhere (fingers crossed). At least now since Iíll be pulling the head and manifolds itíll make it much easier to swap my 19t on while everything is out. Luckily I have a cool boss and he said I could leave my car at the shop until the parts come in and Iíll be able to work on it there, instead of getting it towed to my house!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Yeah, make sure it's not just the seal on the top of the water pump to the head.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Not a chance, it’s about 2 inches further back from the water pump, plus it’s spraying out at a 90 degree angle from the seam, not like it’s coming from the water pump and deflecting off the head
Old 02-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Another valid reason to NOT participate in the Valentine's extravaganza, it'll blow your head gasket!
VB242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Def sounds like a HG swap is in your future. It's pretty easy as far as HG's go, if you haven't done it before I'd figure on it taking a whole weekend day. Unless you've swapped the t-belt lately, probably a good time to go ahead and do that too (since you've got 90% of the labor required to swap it done already).
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Already have a NIB timing belt that I’ll be throwing in. Never done a head gasket on one of these redblocks, but if I can swap heads on a whiteblock and change head gaskets on a 91 camaro with the 5.0 tbi, I’m not worried one bit about this task lol

I’m single, so my car is my Valentine’s Day date...I got rejected big time
Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Mr. V
Board Member

While you're at it, here's a few other things you might want to do:

replace water pump and timing belt tensioner

renew cam, crank and intermediate shaft seals

adjust valves when done
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
While you're at it, here's a few other things you might want to do:

replace water pump and timing belt tensioner

renew cam, crank and intermediate shaft seals

adjust valves when done
+1

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
sbabbs
Board Member

The trick to taking the head of the turbo motors and leaving the turbo manifold and all that on and not touching that stuff is there is one exhaust stud you have to remove then you can take the head off and on. It's the upper one behind the turbo, the one that has a smaller stud hole in the exhaust manifold. Take out that stud and the head slips out without messing with the turbo and manifold at all. Thank me later..
1995 940 White racing wagoon. 13c m90 to put in
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #14
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

cam seals and valve shimming will wait. I plan on getting an Ipd turbo cam in the near future, and those will be taken care of then. Water pump and tensioner isn’t a bad idea at all though! Do the cars that never came with an intermediate shaft seal(s)? Considering a 19t will be put on as well, and a future cam upgrade, Conrods might be the following upgrade, so I’ll do the crank seal at that time as well. Exhaust manifold is gonna be pulled as well, because I’m 99.9% sure it’s got the usual 90+ cracks, so I’ll repair them while I have the chance. I might even consider porting the manifold at this time. Which side is more beneficial to porting, head or turbo?
Old 02-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #15
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

In my experience with the few head gaskets on these engines. The head gasket failures I've had were all in the area you described and also the very back of the head on the rear where you can't directly look at anything.

I've used the Reinz head gasket kit the last one I did and it was good quality stuff. Elring is the other brand I like to use. The kits won't have the intermediate shaft seal or the front crank seal. The head kits also don't have any turbo gaskets if you do take the turbo apart.

Simons done this a few times and his method works. But all that would be too heavy for me to lift by myself. Maybe with a helper I could do that method. That is a lot of time saved. Because if you mess with a turbo exhaust manifold. You will be working on replacing a broken stud. On the other hand it's nice to have all those gaskets new after doing a headgasket.

Last edited by dl242gt; 02-14-2019 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: grammar
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
tiredoldtommy
Board Member

I had that, only on the intake side. Coolant spraying directly onto the distributor. It was the result of not cleaning one of the head bolt holes when I changed the head. Make sure you get those holes cleaned out. I used a .45 gun cleaning rod with patches torn from a red shop towel. No probs for the last 10k miles.

----------------------------------------------
'03 C70 HPT drop top 95k (stylin cruiser)
'83 242 turbo, 305k (ridge runner)
'84 245 NA, 248k (hauler/tractor)
'66 New Yorker, 440 4bbl (needs a new home)
'84 244tic (project or parts? definitely parts)
tiredoldtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #17
Mr. V
Board Member

When I clean head bolt holes the first thing I do is spray compressed air in there to blow out any debris.

Then I chase the threads, then a final blast of compressed air.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #18
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

I brake clean, compressed air, chase threads, brake clean then compressed air again. I hold a rag over the hole when I'm home blowing them out to catch the brake clean.
VB242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Awesome suggestions guys. Yesterday I sprayed the exhaust manifold nuts with kroil spray, and they came off like butter this morning! Just used a regular ratchet, not even a breaker bar. I did that this morning at work before it was time to start working, and if the rain stops by the time we clock out I’ll continue dismantling and tearing into it.

My plan is to remove the head with the camshaft still in place. I’ve torn a camshaft out of a JY car several months back, and iirc the cam can still be installed and have access to the head bolts.

On another note I ordered head bolts from fcp and the head gasket kit from Ipd on Valentine’s Day, the head bolts arrived yesterday, and it doesn’t seem like USPS has even received the gasket kit yet. Not too thrilled about that
Old 02-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #20
2manyturbos

That seems to be a common failure point with old original head gaskets. So many heat cycles.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #21
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
That seems to be a common failure point with old original head gaskets. So many heat cycles.
Mine seem to seep oil in that area. Haven't leaked coolant...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs
just gutless low compression k-junk
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #22
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

So yesterday I got the head off and actually found the source of my oil leak! The head gasket was also blown between cylinders 3 and 4, and weeping oil out there as well as the coolant. Head looked nice and flat, as did the block. I got the head out back on today with new hushers installed. The valves and pistons weren’t the nicest I’ve seen, but it’s a redblock lol. I welded a couple cracks on the exhaust manifold, got it installed, along with the 19t. On that side of the engine, I just have to get the darn yoshifab drain fitting installed, and the drain line trimmed and installed.

My intake manifold gasket fell out of its box at home, so the intake side of things still need reassembly, but all in all I’m feeling pretty good of things at this point. The timing belt was installed and all the marks seem to line up, with the exception of the intermediate shaft, but I’m sure that doesn’t matter as I’m running wasted spark, and originally had a head mounted dizzy
Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #23
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Glad things are going well with the repairs. Enjoy that wasted spark setup.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #24
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

The wasted spark I’ve been running for a couple months now. Definitely smoother running and seems to not run out of steam as fast
Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #25
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Well after a night in the freezer and a half hour of hammering, I got the drain fitting in...definitely not for the weak of heart