• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

James Bond Smoke Screen Option

noz-e8tr

Hey everyone. I purchased my 1990 740 Turbo exactly 10 years ago according to Facebook memories lol. It had 190,000 miles when I got it. I'm estimating it currently has between 350-400k miles. Odometer broke many many moons ago at 310K. Anyway, it recently started smoking. Still boosts good, no oil in the intake side. Figured it was time to take a look at it. This is actually the first time I've had to mess with a turbo. I posted a few videos below for comments, suggestions. Should I attempt to rebuild, or try to find a good used one. Rebuilding doesn't seem like brain surgery, but I'd like opinions on rather you think this one is rebuildable. Also, inside the exhaust housing looks funny to me. Is that normal?

Why I decided to tear into it
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iwoY30OElag" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What I found - Look in the exhaust housing...normal? Sorry about the orientation. Phone has a mind of its own sometimes. And yes, when I played back the video, I can heat the impeller touching the housing. Was too noisy in the shop to hear it. But the mic on the phone got it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mpDHJegx4ss" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I could feel hardly and end play on the shaft, but man, once I got it out, the side play was pretty significant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rF0xEKSC_XY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would take the shaft out and inspect it. With that much play I'll bet it's worn = new turbo. Such was the case on the Garrett from my 85 740 that I rebuilt, only to have eat itself. There are plenty of cheap options on eBay.

I've already made the decision to replace the turbo. After looking into the exhaust housing and seeing what looks like some pretty substantial cracks inside the housing (not the manifold) , I think its time for something a bit fresher.

I would take the shaft out and inspect it. With that much play I'll bet it's worn = new turbo. Such was the case on the Garrett from my 85 740 that I rebuilt, only to have eat itself. There are plenty of cheap options on eBay.

You can also do a center housing rotating assembly swap. Places like Gpop shop will sell you an exchange center housing section and you assemble it from there.

Take a look at the second video above. Does the inside of the exhaust housing look right? I'm seriously asking, because I've never look in one of these before.

You can also do a center housing rotating assembly swap. Places like Gpop shop will sell you an exchange center housing section and you assemble it from there.

Take a look at the second video above. Does the inside of the exhaust housing look right? I'm seriously asking, because I've never look in one of these before.

It's shot. Some hairline cracks around the puck are normal, but yours is all melted around the wheel.

Last edited:

No, that's gone to valhalla. A good time to put a bit better flowing turbo on there since you need a turbine housing.

Back