• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AutoZone water pump....

xallenx

Well....lesson learned. Never go cheap on water pumps. My pump from Autozone only lasted 5yrs. It has a small leak now so plan to change it next weekend. Only good thing is the pump is still under warranty!

Cheap lasting five years is good. The cup was half full not half empty. Make sure you check your warranty and see how many times they will replace the unlimited warranty pump. The cheap pump that has lasted at least five years for me so far is the Bosch pump. It was $35 at Pep Boys.

Yeah, this one has limited lifetime warranty. It's a Duralast bran. I'll ask and see what is the limit when I get my new pump.

5 years seems like a pretty good run time to me, especially for a cheap pump with a ‘lifetime’ warranty.

My advanced auto pump is barley leaking occasionally after 3 ish years. Not too worried about it.

I purchased 2 Volvo OeM water pumps for my 87 244 and both went south. Got smarter and got the AutoZone pump that is still on the car. Change the dam thing when you do the timing belt and you won’t have to mess with it. Non will last look ke the engine AutoZone is betting you car will rust away or you will scrape it before they have to make good but they don’t know me! LOL

The Hepu lasting longer is a myth that just won't die on here. I have been installing GMB pumps at 1/3 the cost of a HEPU and getting just as much life out of them. Bosch/Airtex pumps are junk. Bosch quit buying from Airtex because of the failure rate of the pumps coming from them.

I've had good luck with Hepu pumps as long as the top hat seal used is Volvo OE. The one that comes with the Hepu pump lasts about 12 months before it starts to leak. I may have to try a GMB just out of curiosity. How are the GMB top seals?

I've never had a problem with either HEPU or GMB pumps. I have them changed every 50,000 miles during the timing belt service.

Back