home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
J Volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Oregon
Default Newbie looking for advice/options for my 240

Hello I am new to the forum my name is Jason and Iím located on the Oregon coast which I am finding is a great location to own a Volvo. I welcome any opinions/advice on my Volvo 244 DL B230F NA. The previous owner appeared to care for the car. I just finished ordering a plethora of parts from IPD in Portland (seems like a great store) in order to stage zero the vehicle. I am curious what options are out there beyond stage zero for this car? What is practical and what is not? I appreciate any suggestions donít be afraid to propose mild to wild, Iím just looking for options for my car at this point. And once again feel free to introduce yourself if you are near the Pacific Northwest.
J Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member
 
oldschoolvolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Default

Welcome to Tbricks! Lots of members out in the PNW.

There are a few "common" avenues for increasing power...
-"+T" adding a turbo to a non-turbo engine
-16V cylinder head swap (in addition to +T)
-V8 swap (LS or 5.0 Ford)
-Whiteblock swap (5 or 6 cyl from FWD cars)

I have found it very helpful to use Google to search the message board as the built-in search function is "meh" IMO.

type the following into Google:
site:tbforums.com search terms

ex: site:tbforums.com +T 240
__________________
-Mike
1998 V70 T5
1979 242 DL 16v

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=26609
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Dammit, Lummert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
J Volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Oregon
Default

Thanks for weighing in guys. It sounds like turbo is the biggest bang for the buck but I'm curious if there is any advantage to a b230+t over an b230ft?
J Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

:reported:
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?



Last edited by Redwood Chair; 12-24-2018 at 10:37 PM..
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

This is one thing you could do..More fun than normal..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTejigznA_0&t=204s


__________________
John Vanlandingham/JVAB Imports
Sleezattle WA, USA

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
ó Don Marquis

Last edited by John V, outside agitator; 12-21-2018 at 07:07 PM..
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Fa182
Stage 1
 
Fa182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Austria
Default

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=271886

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...7&postcount=37
__________________
Fa182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #8
quillc
yv1a.com
 
quillc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitsap, Wa
Default

If you are staying NA, you could switch to a VX, A, B or T cam. A decent exhaust will help free up some power. Your compression isn't high enough to use a ton of camshaft.

If you are turbocharging it, there are tons of options from mild to wild.

For suspension, the next step would be Ben Kaplan's stuff.

In the end, it depends upon your goals. If you want a nice driver, one of the above cams would bump the power a little bit. The car would at least pull a hill in high gear on the highway. Converting to a manual makes these cars more fun to drive as well.

If you want to run 9's, you have to do a lot more work.
__________________
Chris
www.yv1a.com
quillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #9
2turbotoys
Salaminizer
 
2turbotoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reading pa
Default

Welcome noob, love to have new guys who are into our beloved cars! What are your goals with the car? What will you be using it for mostly, there are so many directions to go, if you have an end goal in mind you will get much better help here.
__________________
Feedback thread https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=144924

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
J Volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Welcome noob, love to have new guys who are into our beloved cars! What are your goals with the car? What will you be using it for mostly, there are so many directions to go, if you have an end goal in mind you will get much better help here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quillc View Post
If you are staying NA, you could switch to a VX, A, B or T cam. A decent exhaust will help free up some power. Your compression isn't high enough to use a ton of camshaft.

If you are turbocharging it, there are tons of options from mild to wild.

For suspension, the next step would be Ben Kaplan's stuff.

In the end, it depends upon your goals. If you want a nice driver, one of the above cams would bump the power a little bit. The car would at least pull a hill in high gear on the highway. Converting to a manual makes these cars more fun to drive as well.

If you want to run 9's, you have to do a lot more work.

Thank you for your response have to admit there is a massive learning curve when it comes to altering an engine. I am trying to keep my goals very realistic since engine mods can spiral out of control without a good plan.

Goals:
* Something reliable enough to use as a daily driver vehicle.
* I would like to focus on keeping fuel economy at a reasonable level.
* I would like to have any modifications reversible or easily replaceable if for some reason down the road I needed to change it back.
* I do not want to add anything that will stress the engine to unsafe levels (from what I have read the b230ft is a stronger block than the b230f however I plan to overbuild or strengthen anything that might be too weak for the modifications).
* Of course budget is always on the list but since I am in the early stages of this project I don't really know enough to consider what would be too expensive.

Options I am floating:

option #1: Keep the engine NA, switch to a VX, A, B or T cam and add an exhaust (This might be the best option but I wouldn't mind going a little further).

option #2: 16v n/a conversion no turbo - I think this is a really cool idea but I am thinking it may become a chore to maintain and the cost of parts may start to add up quick (this would be my choice if money and practicality were no object but this realistically seems like it would be hard to pull off for a newbie in addition I have no clue how it effects the fuel economy).

option #3: Add a stock turbo or something very similar to the stock turbo and strengthen any weak elements of the b230f (not 100% sure what that might be?) so that it could handle the turbo. This would be the b230f +t option I guess.

option #4: Find a b230ft and switch the entire engine. I'm not sure what the cost would be to do that but I would imagine it's pretty expensive.

I would love to hear what you guys suggest and thanks again for giving me advice on my ideas.
J Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:36 AM   #11
quillc
yv1a.com
 
quillc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitsap, Wa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Volvo View Post
* Something reliable enough to use as a daily driver vehicle.
* I would like to focus on keeping fuel economy at a reasonable level.
* I would like to have any modifications reversible or easily replaceable if for some reason down the road I needed to change it back.
* I do not want to add anything that will stress the engine to unsafe levels (from what I have read the b230ft is a stronger block than the b230f however I plan to overbuild or strengthen anything that might be too weak for the modifications).
* Of course budget is always on the list but since I am in the early stages of this project I don't really know enough to consider what would be too expensive.

Options I am floating:

option #1: Keep the engine NA, switch to a VX, A, B or T cam and add an exhaust (This might be the best option but I wouldn't mind going a little further).

option #2: 16v n/a conversion no turbo - I think this is a really cool idea but I am thinking it may become a chore to maintain and the cost of parts may start to add up quick (this would be my choice if money and practicality were no object but this realistically seems like it would be hard to pull off for a newbie in addition I have no clue how it effects the fuel economy).

option #3: Add a stock turbo or something very similar to the stock turbo and strengthen any weak elements of the b230f (not 100% sure what that might be?) so that it could handle the turbo. This would be the b230f +t option I guess.

option #4: Find a b230ft and switch the entire engine. I'm not sure what the cost would be to do that but I would imagine it's pretty expensive.

I would love to hear what you guys suggest and thanks again for giving me advice on my ideas.
For DD duty, you would want to stick with the stock EFI system. For any of the modifications, it seems like this is the biggest issue.

Obviously, a cam change and some exhaust would be the easiest. It adds some fun factor and makes a little more power. Very DD territory.

+t is very streetable. The higher NA compression ratio helps build low RPM power. Combined with a cam and good exhaust, its also a good DD and makes decent power.

To me, a B230FT swap doesn't hold any real advantage.

The 16V conversion could certainly be a decent DD, but like any custom work they can be challenging to keep on the road.

This is true of any modified car, the more modified it is, the more challenging it can be to keep it on the road.
quillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #12
JW240
All idiot, no savant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

I've been using my 240 with +t for many years now.
My experience so far:
-engine holds up easily. My +t is still pretty mild, 230hp. So far I did not grenade the engine from any of my bone head moves. Tried many things with different tunes, different fuel (e85).
-as daunting (for some) adding turbocharger, oil cooler and stuff to the engine sounds, it's all pretty easy if you take the right path. And durable if you keep it simple and don't reinvent the wheel with cheap solutions. It's worth it to spend some money for good hydraulic hoses for feed return etc.
-don't underestimate the amount of work to make stuff like air intake, relocation of washer bottle, that kind of stuff.
-downside of turbo.. So many hoses. Oil water air. Added stuff like cbv, wastegate, oil cooler, intercooler, maybe catch can.
-do a good stage zero with a +t. Now that you have a chance to have easy access to stuff like gaskets, studs, fix those.
-especially rear end needs some help imho. Expect to fix or replace at least the torque rods. After a couple of years I have replaced every bushing. From poly back to stock even sometimes. Many choices.

This +t had been very reliable and fun. I drive my 240 every day. Easy to service. Valve lash doesn't alter, compression still great. Mileage between low 20s and 30mpg. Enough power to have fun and get in trouble.
Now I'm looking at upgrading this setup. Maxxed out the injectors, amm, clutch. Time for some new parts. Would I do a +t again? Yes. For sure? Whiteblock of 200ish hp 16v would be fun too.
__________________
240 | 1991 | 345K Km | B230F+T | Cosworth T3 60/63 | M90 | TrueTrack (parked for a few months)
dd: 940 | 1992 | B230FB
Husaberg FE450 70 degree '12 mx/supermoto swapped


Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

How about some more information on your car? Like what year and what trans? That will also let you and us figure out where you are and what you can do to keep in line with your goals.
__________________
Dave,
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #14
J Volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
How about some more information on your car? Like what year and what trans? That will also let you and us figure out where you are and what you can do to keep in line with your goals.
it's a 1990 DL 2.3L b230f automatic (needs to be auto since not all family members can drive a stick).
J Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

:reported:

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 12-24-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #16
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
No.
Uhhhh yes there are definitely advantages to a +t over a b230ft.
__________________
Feedback Thread
White liberals are the scum of the earth.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #17
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Volvo View Post
it's a 1990 DL 2.3L b230f automatic (needs to be auto since not all family members can drive a stick).
That auto wonít hold turbo power. Either buy a factory turbo 7/9 to drive, or buy one as a parts car and use the turbo parts and trans.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #18
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
:reported:
Come on, man. 8.7:1 compression sucks for a daily, even with boost. I can barely go up hills without getting into boost.

9.8:1 is still low but makes for a very very torquey DD. Stock boost +t cars spin the tires accelerating in 1st gear.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #19
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Volvo View Post
it's a 1990 DL 2.3L b230f automatic (needs to be auto since not all family members can drive a stick).
In the mid 90s I saw interesting figure for France and Italy..
50% of drivers are women..
Italy 2% of car sales were automatic
France 3% of car sales were automatic.

Both places the traffic density is thick and the tempo high..( I spent nearly 2 years in France from one end to the other..They drive with the foot planted down.)

2 and 3% total automatics..

Somehow, they are able to learn.
Ruining the fun with an automatic is a choice, not a need.

How to teach them easily: turn the idle up to about 1400-1500 rpm..
Done.

Now, no more talk about "need" automatic.
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #20
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
Come on, man. 8.7:1 compression sucks for a daily, even with boost. I can barely go up hills without getting into boost.

9.8:1 is still low but makes for a very very torquey DD. Stock boost +t cars spin the tires accelerating in 1st gear.
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #21
2turbotoys
Salaminizer
 
2turbotoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reading pa
Default

Whats wrong with getting into boost? Unless you are a hypermiler, but then you wouldn't be driving an old Volvo lol. If there's not enough power step on the gas harder.
Nothing wrong with an automatic either, not quite as fun but it's still a lot of fun.
The US #'s on manual vs auto are quite a bit difft than France or whatever, it's something that can be done down the road anyway.
Nothing wrong with a +T either, just don't turn the psi up as much. Watch AFR and knock, no big deal. If you aren't going to do an engine swap or rebuild, a +T is the way to go.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:29 AM   #22
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Nothing wrong with an automatic either, .
Wrong!

__________________


Member of TBCCS


Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #23
2turbotoys
Salaminizer
 
2turbotoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reading pa
Default

Lol, seen that one a million times tho.
If you have ever dealt with a loved one who doesn't care enough about cars to learn a manual but needs to drive the car, who cares? Use the automatic. Adding the turbo is a way bigger deal than the transmission. A manual N/A rocking 115 hp or whatever is not going to be nearly as fun as an automatic with more than twice that power. I have a manual 242 with no turbo, but does have Megasquirt EFI, which I like to think gives it a few more hp, but dam its slow as hell anyway.
If someone says a manual is out of the question why do we insist on it? You don't know the circumstances.
OP wants a bit more fun, pretty sure he's not looking to build the ultimate driving machine.
Turbo manifold, turbo, injectors, chips, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler +piping, oil lines, maybe I forgot something, done = fun 240
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:08 AM   #24
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
What, you think a factory turbo car makes a better DD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Whats wrong with getting into boost? Unless you are a hypermiler, but then you wouldn't be driving an old Volvo lol. If there's not enough power step on the gas harder.
Nothing wrong with an automatic either, not quite as fun but it's still a lot of fun.
The US #'s on manual vs auto are quite a bit difft than France or whatever, it's something that can be done down the road anyway.
Nothing wrong with a +T either, just don't turn the psi up as much. Watch AFR and knock, no big deal. If you aren't going to do an engine swap or rebuild, a +T is the way to go.
Never said it was wrong to go into boost..other than killing mpgs. But a +t reacts way better to boost (holding all else equal) than a factory turbo car.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:15 AM   #25
2turbotoys
Salaminizer
 
2turbotoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reading pa
Default

Higher compression will do that for sure, my point is that it destroy the motor easier if not monitored correctly, that's all I was trying to say.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.