• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vancity Volvos

Welcome indeed!

did some more on the 240 ...

more steel! less rust (marginally)

uidCveRl.jpg

RgE09LLl.jpg

made press jig for the out rigger ..

qQ31K0al.jpg

I2AC1JYl.jpg

hurt hand 3 weeks ago still hobbled by it.
7z2yMAml.jpg

glad to see some more activity here.

That hand looks unpleasant. I am ASSuming you got it checked out?

Also, great progress. Rust is bad mmmmm'kay

well dr. put a splint on the little finger ... he would like xrays but I haven't made it that far.
baby steps you know.

just like rust repair.

well dr. put a splint on the little finger ... he would like xrays but I haven't made it that far.
baby steps you know.

just like rust repair.

Sadly rust repairs can usually wait without long term skeletal issues.

Hopefully, the bone isn't broken in multiple places and you recover full function quickly.

Sadly rust repairs can usually wait without long term skeletal issues.

It would be nice if a diet of quality oil and gasoline and plenty of rest was enough
for the rust holes to start to heal on their own.

As an older guy who doesn't heal quite as fast as he used to, and has plenty of
chronic aches and pains -- "It's like that now", I'd suggest prioritizing those x-rays...

The 240 is looking great, good for you for actually doing the work.

Hey folks, my brother just bought a '96 850R, had it checked it at my shop and was quite nice. Well, for a few days.

The turbo was replaced by a dealer about 3yrs ago and the vacuum hoses weren't quite right enough, and one blew off the turbo side. Went into overboost and bent a rod, pretty sure by the sound when I checked it out the other day. :/

I had him call Ed Schram's for guidance, but they don't do rebuilds. He's looking to beef it up and "build back better" and all that. Any folks have leads for us? Thanks!

Hey folks, my brother just bought a '96 850R, had it checked it at my shop and was quite nice. Well, for a few days.

The turbo was replaced by a dealer about 3yrs ago and the vacuum hoses weren't quite right enough, and one blew off the turbo side. Went into overboost and bent a rod, pretty sure by the sound when I checked it out the other day. :/

I had him call Ed Schram's for guidance, but they don't do rebuilds. He's looking to beef it up and "build back better" and all that. Any folks have leads for us? Thanks!

If you can't find a shop there, I know one out here.

Jordan

Any idea why Ed doesnt wanna do rebuilds?

They aren't a machine shop. Plus a lot of machine shops are now closing down making the necessary machine work to refresh things difficult to get done..

I imagine, if he wanted to buy a motor and put it in. They could help him out.

It is harder to get the with dinner to repair or refresh things. We continue to move toward the replace not repair model of being.

Fake edit...Ed is dead, baby. It would take a long time for him to rebuild anything at this point.

The rest of the family lives on and so does the business though.

Found a good low-K motor. Going to refresh it and see about swapping it to at least get him mobile. Then maybe he can rebuild his dead motor lol

Thanks for the guidance, guys. Too bad about all those machine shops closing up, as he found out yesterday after calling them up.

I can understand why automotive machine shops are drying up.

I had a '04 TDI engine apart this spring, it needed new mains.

Pretty much every fastener inside the engine is a stretch bolt, good for a single use only.

The bill just for parts to tear down and then reassemble the engine was shocking. I would
have been better off buying a really nice donor car and crushing it.

On the other hand, this modern engine has piston oil squirters, and at ~380,000km
showed negligible bore wear. This is not just the squirters, todays synthetic oils are
really good.

Modern cars have a dash light for oil level, not just pressure. You don't need to check it.

So, modern engines tend to run fine right up until some idiot drifts the car over a
raised median and tears out the bottom of the oil pan. Or until the car itself is so old and
crappy it gets crushed and replaced.

I always appreciate the input and knowledge of those who post in this thread. Sadly, imho the art of home car repair is dying. But I think that has been said for many years.

Now that the weather is getting a little better, who is up for a get together?
We could do the 19th or 26th this month. Meet at a park or beach somewhere with a big parking lot in the city?

Just a thought.

I?d check out Scandia Motors by Maple Ridge. Been going there to fix up my 88 740 gle for a couple of years and it?s been a great experience.

I’d check out Scandia Motors by Maple Ridge. Been going there to fix up my 88 740 gle for a couple of years and it’s been a great experience.
They don't get into that, they told us. It's all good, found a junkyard motor and just about done putting that in now (literally at this moment). Thanks, though!

I made an emergency trip down two weeks ago.

I spotted a really clean 85+ 244 turning left (north) onto Clark Rd from como Lake road. Looked lowered on Virgos. Clean from a distance.

Sure was nice to see 240s on the road again.

I'll be back out in August fully vaccinated and up for visits.

Jordan

I wonder what happened to my blue wagon. The guy is older so not connected much online from what I understand.

One day, we'll get back into RWD wagons!

I wonder what happened to my blue wagon. The guy is older so not connected much online from what I understand.

One day, we'll get back into RWD wagons!

I think I saw it in Mission a couple nights ago.

Light blue, ecodes early liftgate. silver mesh wheels though.. thought you had something else on there.

I think I saw it in Mission a couple nights ago.

Light blue, ecodes early liftgate. silver mesh wheels though.. thought you had something else on there.
Early liftgate? Like 1986+ but not the flush one? Yeah E-codes, but I had CSA Stars on them, kinda like Aussie Geminis.

Back