home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-31-2021, 11:20 PM   #26
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack leg View Post
Progress
Did you confirm the pump draws sufficient vacuum? I don't recall the ratings, but it needs to be powerful. Many of those are actually weak. I tried a few versions quite some years back on my old (RIP) whiteblock & never found a setup that didn't actually cause a flow restriction.

Belt -driven vacuums pumps are the serious way to go. Obviously the cap vent will need to go if you are trying to pull a vacuum on the crankcase.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #27
Jack leg
Board Member

I have not tested the vacuum capability yet. Once I do I will post the numbers. This is partially experimental since I haven't seen anyone go this in depth with their PCV setup on the forum. I have looked but nothing much more than just adding a catch can. I'm going to be testing everything thoroughly though.

I know there are benefits to pulling a high vacuum in the crankcase, but at this point I just don't want oil mist in my engine bay.

More progress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210731_232149.jpg (204.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20210731_232252.jpg (219.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20210731_232303.jpg (214.0 KB, 149 views)
Jack leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #28
lummert
Board Member

I have read about PCV/catch can systems on Turbo LS engines causing air to enter at the rear main seal which caused a noise that was difficult to track down.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #29
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

You want to pull enough vacuum that it helps the engine stay ventilated and sealed. But not so much vacuum that you start pulling a lot of oil out of the engine. A good read is the stealthfti pbase page on how the pcv works. He talks about the speed of the vapors being key to having it work well. https://pbase.com/stealthfti/pcv
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #30
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
I have not tested the vacuum capability yet. Once I do I will post the numbers. This is partially experimental since I haven't seen anyone go this in depth with their PCV setup on the forum.
no offense, but search noob! Guys were playing with air pumps several years ago. Nathan in Washington logged vacuum and everything.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #31
Jack leg
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
no offense, but search noob! Guys were playing with air pumps several years ago. Nathan in Washington logged vacuum and everything.
You're correct, I forgot about the thread with Nathinwa. Not really a noob over here though. Just busy and research gets tedious at times.

Here is the thread with the best information on the pump I'm using. I think page 7 or 8 had the measured numbers.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256223
Jack leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #32
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
You're correct, I forgot about the thread with Nathinwa. Not really a noob over here though. Just busy and research gets tedious at times.

Here is the thread with the best information on the pump I'm using. I think page 7 or 8 had the measured numbers.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256223
just gotta make sure we're paying homage to the elders

I have the same pump on the shelf, just haven't played with it yet, so I'm interested to see how it goes for you
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote