home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #326
patrickstar
Board Member

Still waiting on the coils, the delay killed a lot of my motivation to work on the car. I've basically only seen it once or twice in the last 3 months. This weekend I went out there and fixed a few small things that needed attention

I was hearing a clunk from my rear-end so I got under there and tightened everything up. Driveshaft is rubbing in the tunnel some, I need to adjust the panhard quite a bit and get the airhammer out.

One of the brake lights was out, not sure if this contact was burnt or not before my wiring job. I cleaned it up with some sandpaper and its working now, but I'm gonna buy a new connector ASAP

Kinda hate this car anymore. I've been looking for a Amazon if anyone wants a janky V8 242

@beige242 on instagram

Last edited by patrickstar; 07-06-2021 at 08:03 PM..
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #327
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I've been waiting over 2 1/2 years for my rear coil overs and trailing arms to arrive. If they showed up I would send you a set of TME coils.

Hope you get motivated again, it's a cool build.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #328
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
I've been waiting over 2 1/2 years for my rear coil overs and trailing arms to arrive. If they showed up I would send you a set of TME coils.

Hope you get motivated again, it's a cool build.
Well that is even crazier, sorry about that wait. Mine is partially understandable with the manufacturing/shipping delays from COVID. Some more communication would be nice.

After working on it yesterday and taking it for a short cruise, I'm feeling a bit more motivated. I have Bilstein HDs and springs for the front that I should install, but was really holding out for the coils so I only have to align it once
Old 07-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #329
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I hear that, since it drives, enjoy it till they show up.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #330
patrickstar
Board Member

Monday morning I went out to the shop to tinker on the 242. Just wanted to tie up some loose ends and things I had noticed. I decided to run down to the DOL and get tabs for it and then took it for a drive. A small 1-mile drive turned into 5-miles and then turned into about 75miles across the whole day.

Theres lots of noise from the rear end, I can't tell if its the diff, driveshaft, or trailing arm bushings. I'm talking to Robert (Culberro) about having him modify an 8.8 for me.

Otherwise, the car drives pretty well. Lots of power, I still haven't given it 100% yet. Had some issues with the tune yesterday, started cutting out under load and going lean. I'm ordering a fuel pressure sensor and fitting so I can monitor fuel pressure and try to get an idea whats going on.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #331
patrickstar
Board Member

Lol, the leaning out from the other day was lack of gas. All fixed now!

Picked up a black cloth back seat to throw in the back. I really hate how the carpet kit fits in here (both my fault and fault of the kit) so I am debating throwing the factory brown carpet back in

Old 07-19-2021, 07:43 PM   #332
patrickstar
Board Member

Got a little work done today. The aftermarket carpet kit had been bugging me so I swapped it for a factory brown carpet. Fitment is much better. Installed the rear seat and dashboard as well, which quieted the car down a lot.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #333
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

That looks better, nice work. Are you putting the full dash back in?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #334
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
That looks better, nice work. Are you putting the full dash back in?
I'd like to eventually. Not sure if I'll be able to add some of the trim pieces that go in the center/sides since some of the holes have been used to mount things. I also don't have a black glovebox so I'll need to source one
Old 07-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #335
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I have a couple black gloveboxes, but probably not worth sending them across the country. Redwood Chair can get you one I bet. He sent me one.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #336
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
I have a couple black gloveboxes, but probably not worth sending them across the country. Redwood Chair can get you one I bet. He sent me one.
I might check in with him, I figure I can find one locally somewhere too. Not a huge priority right now but I'd like to get the interior complete eventually
Old 07-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #337
Krombopulos Michael

What fuel system are you running for the LS swap?
Krombopulos Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #338
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krombopulos Michael View Post
What fuel system are you running for the LS swap?
Walbro 255 in-tank, Corvette regulator/filter, -6an line to rail. The pump is hung on a stock sending unit thats been modified with two stainless -6an bungs

So far I haven't had any issues with fuel. Need to buy/setup a fuel pressure sensor and a gas gauge lol
Old 07-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #339
Krombopulos Michael

I’ve been researching this swap for a while but things like figuring out the fuel system are what hold me back. I have a 4.8 with 4l60e lined up for cheap however, all the small stuff seems to add up in price. The ‘90 wagon I’m planing on swapping was intended to be a parts car but I felt bad taking a clean rust free body off the road. I’m at the point of crap or get off the pot. Either sell it to another enthusiast or build a beater/sleeper.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #340
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Iíve been researching this swap for a while but things like figuring out the fuel system are what hold me back. I have a 4.8 with 4l60e lined up for cheap however, all the small stuff seems to add up in price. The Ď90 wagon Iím planing on swapping was intended to be a parts car but I felt bad taking a clean rust free body off the road. Iím at the point of crap or get off the pot. Either sell it to another enthusiast or build a beater/sleeper.
The small stuff is what gets you, I've told everyone that the absolute easiest part was getting the engine and trans in the car. Everything afterwards was difficult/expensive.

You can go a cheaper route, if you're just planning on running a stock 4.8 you may even be able to get away with factory fuel lines with an upgraded pump
Old 07-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #341
Krombopulos Michael

If I do the swap, I just want a stock 4.8 with auto trans. The 4.8 more than doubles the original HP. It’s too easy to go overboard though. I have a 91 camaro z28 and I bought a wrecked LS1/T56 trans am with a Ford 9” to swap. It’s been at my buddy’s shop for close to two years because I want it to be perfect. Way too much money in that project and is the reason I keep buying other stuff to tinker with. I guess I get bored without my go fast car.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #342
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
If I do the swap, I just want a stock 4.8 with auto trans. The 4.8 more than doubles the original HP. Itís too easy to go overboard though. I have a 91 camaro z28 and I bought a wrecked LS1/T56 trans am with a Ford 9Ē to swap. Itís been at my buddyís shop for close to two years because I want it to be perfect. Way too much money in that project and is the reason I keep buying other stuff to tinker with. I guess I get bored without my go fast car.
We sound pretty similar. This project was supposed to be quick and easy and it took me far longer than I wanted to.

A stock 4.8 and auto would be a great combo if you just want a nice cruiser. You should be able to do it pretty affordably too if you source and fabricate a lot of your own parts
Old 07-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #343
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstar View Post
The small stuff is what gets you, I've told everyone that the absolute easiest part was getting the engine and trans in the car. Everything afterwards was difficult/expensive.
Pretty true. Prioritizing the subsystems is really important, setting and sticking to a realistic end goal (sounds like you have that), and careful planning would be my advice.

I spent too much on stuff that is high end and it really isn't needed. I made a few mistakes and had to buy certain things two or three times before getting it right.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #344
jstblz
Board Member

Hey! Im happy you found some new energy for this thing. Time off from intensive hobbies are a catch-22. Loving what you're doing!!
Old 07-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #345
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstblz View Post
Hey! Im happy you found some new energy for this thing. Time off from intensive hobbies are a catch-22. Loving what you're doing!!
Thanks man! I've been driving it a bit lately and have really fell back in love with it. Excited to get the rest of the suspension buttoned up!

Hows the ecoboost 242 treating you?
Old 08-01-2021, 03:34 AM   #346
jstblz
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstar View Post
Thanks man! I've been driving it a bit lately and have really fell back in love with it. Excited to get the rest of the suspension buttoned up!

Hows the ecoboost 242 treating you?
Just started down the tuning process. This thing is so fun and we haven't even added any power yet. Slightly worried. lol
jstblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #347
patrickstar
Board Member

"What are you wasting money on now?"

I had a local artist paint my apartment building, he asked if I wanted my 242 in the painting as well! Super cool guy, Patrick Flynn Art is his tag
Old 08-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #348
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

That's a great painting of your car and building. Very cool!
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #349
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
That's a great painting of your car and building. Very cool!
I've always loved his work, its all pretty similar urban landscape stuff. Adding my car was just icing on the cake!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #350
Icarusinexile

Hello guys first post here. I have some serious questions though. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Iím doing a 5.3 swap on a 1991 Volvo 240 and I got a Colorado AR5 trans. I tried to contact CPR MAnufacturing and the guy is a ghost at this point. He had a great product as I need to extend the shifter back as I learned in this thread. Since he packed up shop what can I do to make this trans work? I already got everything for the swap with this trans so Iíd really like to keep it. Let me know what your guys think!
Icarusinexile is offline   Reply With Quote